The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nucks 5 - Flames 1

TheRussianRocket.

You guys should read the phlegms pgt on calgarypuck. The arrogance these losers have after overachieving and squeaking into the playoffs and winning one round all of a sudden they think they're elite. Lol They think we will be at the botton of the leauge. It will be so great to watch them fall back to earth and realise they're just a bubble team.

+1 my friend. I live in Calgary and the swooning that's happening is kinda sickening

+1 my friend. I live in Calgary and the swooning that's happening is kinda sickening

I know that they picked up Hamilton, but I think he is still a project in the works. Boston fans argue that his +/minus fell into the toilet when boychuck wasnt around to save the day and he is prone to making stupid plays. Reminds me of when they got Bouwmeester and he was supposed to make them elite.

Calgary had the worst SA/possession stats in the NHL aside from Buffalo. Only some miracle come backs saved them and got them into 8th place. It also took a number of their players to have career years in order for that team to make it to 8th place.

I also believe that they were a big benefactor from the fact that teams probably took them lightly - does anyone really have a rivalry with a team that missed the playoffs for nearly a decade and has made it past the first round 2 times since 1989? This year teams will have the book on Johnny Gnome, he was tossed around like a sack of potatoes last night.

They are probably a decent team, but they are not what their fan base thinks they are.

Id love to see them finish 10th, that fan base froths at the mouth at the mere mention of Vancouver.

Same here. Can't stand it. There are two kinds of fans in any fan base. Homers and Hockey fans. I like the hockey fans cause we can talk puck rationally, they and I can see faults on our own teams and have a real discussion. The homers say negative things like FK your team, you have sisters, they're old and suck. Just generally hateful tripe towards the city and/or team.

Some may say well we have those fans everywhere. I agree. But until you live in a city with a rival NHL club, you really don't get the full effect.

I'm kind of surprised people are complaining about the commentary last night. Perhaps I was watching a different stream (Sportsnet West) but I thought the commentators (who were Calgary commentators) were extremely fair and perhaps even a little pro-Canucks.

The commentators gushed over the Sedins all night long, pointed out multiple times how poorly Calgary was playing and that people are underestimated Vancouver. Gave a lot of credit to the young players on the Canucks. Tore apart the Calgary defence.

Again, maybe I was watching a different stream but I thought the commentators were really fair.

I agree here. I personally cant stand their voices, but they certainly weren't anti-Canuck. Even sang their praises a bit. Was called fairly.

How ???? dumb can Doug Maclean get? I mean honestly this guy is so ???? stupid. He goes on talking about how he likes Yannick Weber but not in his top 4 and that Vancouver needs to update on D and I'm like he was never top 4 and he isn't even dressed tonight. Then he goes on about how Hansen was just aiming for his chest. The whole panel and him talking about how Vrbata and the Sedins played together all year? No they didn't they actually after their hot start they were split up.

Every year Doug Maclean gets more ???? annoying. Daren Millard is the worst host of any sports show I have ever seen and who wears brown shoes with a blue suit? The guy know absolutely nothing about anything get rid of him. Did he really ask why Giordano couldn't play with a torn tendon in his arm? That who segment was just a big advertisement segment.

It is not even watchable.

Sorry dude but you clearly know nothing about fashion. Only brown shoes with a blue suit. Look up on any men's fashion site.

Love it. From the opening puck drop, Dorsett and Mr. Ferly dropped the gloves. It seemed appropriate. Prust's fight was awkward and had me wondering "what are they doing?" (hehe) But good on him for proving himself as a team player. He'll fit in nicely with the team. I noticed how fast the pace was compared to preseason, crazy. The highlight real play: Henrik's beautiful saucer pass to Daniel, Daniel's amazing hand-eye shot in mid air, and Ramo's incredible blocker save. The whole play was awesome. Hamilton seems to be a bit of a dirty player as well. I thought McCann played well for a first game, but I think he'll end up going back to Jrs once he gets his 9 games. He needs to add some bulk. With Willie being so hesitant to play the kids, I expect he'll rotate McCann and Virtanen. Miller was great. Tanev was great. Hutton was great. Bart was great. I can't really think of anyone who didn't play well, with the possible exception of Sbisa's gaff and Edler's ridiculous drop pass as he rushes up the ice. That drives me nuts and one day it's really going to bite him. Really pleased to see Sutter get his 1st, that top line was really good. If the 2nd line catches fire, which I'm sure they will, it's going to be even more fun to watch. Can't wait for Saturday. Would love nothing more than to see a Canucks win and Virtanen level the Hobbit.

You guys should read the phlegms pgt on calgarypuck. The arrogance these losers have after overachieving and squeaking into the playoffs and winning one round all of a sudden they think they're elite. Lol They think we will be at the botton of the leauge. It will be so great to watch them fall back to earth and realise they're just a bubble team.

ya because CDC never does that to an opposing team

Not protecting Romanuk, but he wasn't the worst of the two. I really can't stand Mike Johnson... This guy hates Vancouver more than anyone

Best part was Johnson bashing Hansen cuz monahan got a weak shot attempt by him... Couple minutes later, Hansen goes top shelf snipe job absolutely filthy goal

he wasn't remotely bashing Hansen.....all he said was that Monahan was one on one with a fwd and will beat him every time.....which is nmore or less true.

Liked what I saw from the rookies, particularly Hutton.

McCann looked great in open ice and was usually where he needed to be but really looked physically over matched along the boards. He looked like a great NHL prospect playing first game. Needs to get stronger to really bring his game together. Thrilled with his potential. Hard to work a lot on strength and conditioning through the season though, hopefully can play well enough that his limitations won't get him sent back down.

Just love the pace that the D was playing with. The addition of Bart and Hutton changes the profile.

All those people comparing Sbisa to Bieksa are forgetting the offensive upside of Bieksa in his prime, Sbisa doesn't have that. Bieksa never made as many beautiful stick to stick passes to the opposing team in prime scoring areas. It would be difficult to intentionally do some of the things he does with the by accident. He just seems so nervous to have the puck on his stick that he flings it up ice without looking. He really needs to be given some simple instructions, ring it around or give it to Hutton with a behind the net pass, otherwise just pin it to the boards.

are you kidding.......sbisa has the best long pass on the team.....how many guys did he spring for breakaways in pre-season. Even last night he had some beauties. He might not be as much as Bieksa was in the o-zone, but he's a much better overall player than KB3

I'm kind of surprised people are complaining about the commentary last night. Perhaps I was watching a different stream (Sportsnet West) but I thought the commentators (who were Calgary commentators) were extremely fair and perhaps even a little pro-Canucks.

The commentators gushed over the Sedins all night long, pointed out multiple times how poorly Calgary was playing and that people are underestimated Vancouver. Gave a lot of credit to the young players on the Canucks. Tore apart the Calgary defence.

Again, maybe I was watching a different stream but I thought the commentators were really fair.

Once the game was clearly in Canuck hands, I agree. Earlier on, I'm less sure. I remember shortly before Daniel's goal there was a comment about how the Flames were coming on in the play... just after the Canucks had two great offensive opportunities and outshot the Flames 6-3 in the couple minutes leading up to the comment. Sure, the Flames had scored in the period, but they were hardly impressive for any respectable stretch in the game.

the guy that has impressed me the most is... Bartowski.

i'm still not sold on his defensive plays yet tho, especially on his two on one choice : he always seems to want to pick up the puck carrier instead of staying with the potential pass receiver. But man this guy can really skate out of the D-zone, and we need that so badly. great to have him and Hutton.

to be honest, i dont like the lines as they are. i still think there are some upgrade available. From my own perspective, i would ice that line-up :

Sedin Sedin Burrows|Virtanen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Virtanen|Burrows McCann Hansen

Prust Sutter Dorsett.

i still prefer Sutter on the 4th line, instead of Cracknell. and i don't care about the price per line. (most expensive 4th line of the league, but cheapest 2nd line...)

Yea I agree, Bartkowski was the biggest surprise, he takes only a few strides to get up to speed and was carrying it up the ice with confidence. He could be a steal....he also had a facewash at the end of a play, muckin it up! :emot-parrot:

Archived