The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Line Forechecker?

aGENT

This seems to be an ongoing topic of discussion in numerous threads so I though it might merit it's own.

With Baer and Vrbata on Horvat's wings, that line (while skilled) seems to lack a forechecking/board battle presence. It's making Horvat especially IMO less effective and hence the line/team less effective.

WD needs to get a forechecker on the second line IMO. While everyone's clamoring for the 'kid line' we saw in the preseason to be reunited, I actually think we're better off tweaking that and making a different 'kid line' (or possibly 'kid pair' plus Hansen).

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Burrows, Horvat, Vrbata
Baer, McCann, Hansen/Virtanen
Dorsett, Cracknell, Virtanen/Hansen

*Sub in Prust for injuries, if Virt needs a game off, playing a bruising team etc.

IMO, putting a forechecker in Burrows with Horvat/Vrbata will do wonders.

Same with McCann and Hansen/Virtanen. Either pair of those three (McCann/Hansen/Virtanen) will give space to Baer to make plays and they all have good-great shots and great speed. Baer would also likely benefit from the likely lesser QOC he'd face on the third line which IMO would help him get his footing and gain more confidence.

Virtanen would be great but then where does Vrbata go? At the same time Hansen and Burrows should stay together.

Baer and McCann make for a small line. Burrows seems like a perfect fit with McCann and Hansen

Did you actually read my post?

This seems to be an ongoing topic of discussion in numerous threads so I though it might merit it's own.

With Baer and Vrbata on Horvat's wings, that line (while skilled) seems to lack a forechecking/board battle presence. It's making Horvat especially IMO less effective and hence the line/team less effective.

WD needs to get a forechecker on the second line IMO. While everyone's clamoring for the 'kid line' we saw in the preseason to be reunited, I actually think we're better off tweaking that and making a different 'kid line' (or possibly 'kid pair' plus Hansen).

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burrows, Horvat, Vrbata

*Sub in Prust for injuries, if Virt needs a game off, playing a bruising team etc.

IMO, putting a forechecker in Burrows with Horvat/Vrbata will do wonders.

Same with McCann and Hansen/Virtanen. Either pair of those three (McCann/Hansen/Virtanen) will give space to Baer to make plays and they all have good-great shots and great speed. Baer would also likely benefit from the likely lesser QOC he'd face on the third line which IMO would help him get his footing and gain more confidence.

Its one game into the season. For Pete's sake.

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burrows, Horvat, Vrbata

And I would like to see.

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baer-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-McCann-Vrbata

Dorsett/Prust-Cracknell-Hansen

But if they do it your way it might work just as well and then all they have to do is flip the centers and they can try mine.

They should run this line kinda like what chicago was doing with sharp.

Sedins-sutter

Bear-horvat-virtanen

Vrbata-McCann-hansen/burrows

Prust-cracknell-dorsett

Burrows/hansen as the extra forward

Imo all lines would have both skill, physicality, and alot of speed

As posted above lol

Its one game into the season. For Pete's sake.

Lines need a mix of qualities to get the most out of them. As is, they certainly might get more chemistry as time goes on and continue to improve but are we truly maximizing the players abilities that we have available...?

IMO Horvat works best with another forechecker from what we've seen. Neither Vrbata or Baer are particularly strong in that regard (while excellent in others). I think we get more out of them if they're on separate lines.

And I would like to see.

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baer-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-McCann-Vrbata

Dorsett/Prust-Cracknell-Hansen

But if they do it your way it might work just as well and then all they have to do is flip the centers and they can try mine.

IMO, Vrbata's too good for the 'third line' and neither Baer and especially Virtanen are ready (or need the pressure) of performing in a 2nd line role.

I think that could be a REALLY good line in a year or two but right now I think giving the kids some space and less pressure would work better for now. But it's certainly an option and certainly makes the likelihood of moving Vrabata at the deadline less terrifying.

IMO, Vrbata's too good for the 'third line' and neither Baer and especially Virtanen are ready (or need the pressure) of performing in a 2nd line role.

With mine it would be 2a and 2b, so just roll the lines, and that line played great in the one preseason game, meaning Baer-Horvat-Virtanen. I am curious as to how much chemistry McCann and Vrbata would have, I have a hunch it would be very good.

Not that it's a big deal being just 1 game into the season but I agree with the thought/idea. Would be beneficial for the 2nd line to have a forechecker and also for the 3rd line to have a scorer so McCann's ability doesn't go to waste. However, I'd much rather see Burrows/Vrbata flipped giving us a look of

Daniel-Henrik-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Burrows

Hansen-McCann-Vrbata

...just because I wouldn't want McCann with Baertschi. Only has 9 games and it'd be best for him to be lined up alongside veteran players to help him. Horvat is mature enough where he can play with Baertschi. Vrbata would give McCann a scorer to work with who plays a great 2way game as well.

But then again, it was a great performance last night so I'd personally keep things the same until there's a clear need for change.

Daniel-Henrik-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Is the way to go for now but if not, definitely wouldn't mind seeing Vrbata flipped with Burrows or Burrows/Hansen flipped with Baertschi.

They should run this line kinda like what chicago was doing with sharp.

Sedins-sutter

Bear-horvat-virtanen

Vrbata-McCann-hansen/burrows

Prust-cracknell-dorsett

Burrows/hansen as the extra forward

Imo all lines would have both skill, physicality, and alot of speed

As posted above lol

First off, Vrbata plays right wing, not left.

Second, you want to sit one of Burrows or Hansen when the Canucks already lack forechecking and strong work ethic? That is what those two players are best at.

With mine it would be 2a and 2b, so just roll the lines, and that line played great in the one preseason game, meaning Baer-Horvat-Virtanen. I am curious as to how much chemistry McCann and Vrbata would have, I have a hunch it would be very good.

Mine would still be a 2A/2b scenario but I think Vrbata has earned the right to play with the more developed Horvat at this time and be on the '2A' of the two.

But again, there's certainly flexibility there. Point still remains though that the lines/team improves IMO with the scorers and forcheckers more evenly distributed over those two lines.

But again, there's certainly flexibility there. Point still remains though that the lines/team improves IMO with the scorers and forcheckers more evenly distributed over those two lines.

We agree on the wingers, no harm flipping the centers just to get a look, either way is good.

I'm ok to let it ride through the first half dozen games to see the overall effect. How we get spotted on the road will be interesting.

Having a 2nd unit that can skate and be dangerous in a different way than the 1st line could be a great foil. It may cause matchup problems for opposing coaches. That said, Horvat can occasionally be the first guy in as well, free up the puck for Baertschi who can then dish to sniper Vrbata. Could work just fine. They'll also be good off of the rush. The 3rd line provides enough speed and tenacity to give the other team no break. Our 4th just has to be tough minutes.

As we can mostly all agree, it will matter more how quickly our D is able to transition. It will all start from there.

Baertschi and Bo have shown chemistry.

I wouldn't split them apart.

Our 2nd line had a pretty good game last night IMO. They never spent a lot of time in the offensive zone and generated a lot of shots albeit not very many scoring chances.

We should see how they do in a stretch of games before deciding to mix it up. 1 game is not enough criteria.

Baertschi looks too damn good setting up plays from the LW to demote him yet. If it doesn't turn into goals, then at that point, you gotta do something. But Baertschi is playing like a 40 assist player all Utica stint, the pre-season and the first game on that side. I would give it a few more games.

Plus, although they struggled as a line in the first period, they started to look like a good line halfway through the 2nd. So it's really only 1/2 a game that they've been given a chance.

Not saying I would hate Virt on the RW though.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baer - Horvat - Virtanen

Burrows - McCann - Vrbata

Dorsett - Cracknell - Hansen

That's one option. But Hansen had a great game, skated hard, was great on the forecheck AND scored a goal, so a demotion to the Cracknell line seems like a poor decision. And Burrows and Hansen on McCann's wing made up for a few gaffs (a suicide pass, some awkward positioning) that McCann made, Vrbata doesn't play as well defensively as those two.

That's just my two cents though.

I really would keep the line-up the same next game, except for maybe switching out Prust for Virtanen and putting Virtanen on the 2nd PP unit with Horvat and Baer.

Archived