The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins as wingers

Ray_Cathode

PVR'd the game last night and watched it over again.

I have to admit to being skeptical of Sutter playing with the Sedins.

But, I noticed from the first shift that when the Nucks were in their own end, Sutter took the down low play near the net and the Sedins both played high at the points. This had a lot of positive effects. Sutter is a strong defensive player, a strong skater and checker down low to help coverage near the net. It also left the Sedins high to use their clever plays on the breakouts. The line just didn't seem to have much trouble coming out all night, and the Sedins had good energy all game in part from not having to come back so deep into their own end and pursue so much near their own net. It also put a lot of pressure on the Calgary pointmen, making their pinches much more nervous.

Faster breakouts led to great transitions, but the Sedins and Sutter seemed to grow in awareness of how they fit with each offensive shift. Having a right hand draw for many of the face-offs was also an advantage.

It's only one game, and too early to tell how NHL coaches will counter this, but so far so good. If it continues to work, less energy burned by the Sedins in their own end might just help those mid-thirties bodies stay strong all season.

I have to agree, and this is really only possible because of the emergence of McCann. We'll see if McCann can stick past his 9 games.

If not, Sutter will probably drop down to the 3rd line, depending on if chemistry on the 2nd line remains high.

Baer-Horvat-Vrbata looked dangerous last night. If they can fully gel, I think we'll see good things from that line. I know it's just one game, but this team looks so much faster than they did last year...

I remember more lumbering, more methodical/lackadaisical effort when rushing the puck. Now it's just full steam ahead every shift. Love the work ethic and hustle. It's exciting hockey to watch.

I have to agree, and this is really only possible because of the emergence of McCann. We'll see if McCann can stick past his 9 games.

If not, Sutter will probably drop down to the 3rd line, depending on if chemistry on the 2nd line remains high.

Baer-Horvat-Vrbata looked dangerous last night. If they can fully gel, I think we'll see good things from that line. I know it's just one game, but this team looks so much faster than they did last year...

I remember more lumbering, more methodical/lackadaisical effort when rushing the puck. Now it's just full steam ahead every shift. Love the work ethic and hustle. It's exciting hockey to watch.

Still would like to see Baer-Horvat-Virtanen in the regular season.

PVR'd the game last night and watched it over again.

I have to admit to being skeptical of Sutter playing with the Sedins.

But, I noticed from the first shift that when the Nucks were in their own end, Sutter took the down low play near the net and the Sedins both played high at the points. This had a lot of positive effects. Sutter is a strong defensive player, a strong skater and checker down low to help coverage near the net. It also left the Sedins high to use their clever plays on the breakouts. The line just didn't seem to have much trouble coming out all night, and the Sedins had good energy all game in part from not having to come back so deep into their own end and pursue so much near their own net. It also put a lot of pressure on the Calgary pointmen, making their pinches much more nervous.

Faster breakouts led to great transitions, but the Sedins and Sutter seemed to grow in awareness of how they fit with each offensive shift. Having a right hand draw for many of the face-offs was also an advantage.

It's only one game, and too early to tell how NHL coaches will counter this, but so far so good. If it continues to work, less energy burned by the Sedins in their own end might just help those mid-thirties bodies stay strong all season.

Great observation. I was watching an interview with Sutter (think between periods) where Cassie asked him how he liked playing the wing. His answer was along the lines that once the puck gets dropped from the face-off it doesn't feel that much different. I think it has something to do with what you pointed out, that the Sedins are such smart players that they know how to make any linemate comfortable and they find ways to adjust.

Still would like to see Baer-Horvat-Virtanen in the regular season.

I think we will, probably after Virtanen and McCann get back from WJC if the Canucks let them attend. Shortly after that is the trade deadline in Feb? Mar? I fully expect to see Vrbata traded, from the way things are looking as well with Hutton, Hamhuis could be dangled as trade bait. Both of those guys could net a decent NHL ready prospect and picks

It makes perfect sense. In the offensive zone the twins will cycle in the corners/behind the net leaving Sutter in a better position to come back defensively when the rush turns the other way. In the defensive zone he is able to get back quicker play the center position and break out to one of the twins.
This line gives us both the mobility of a center playing in each end and a faceoff man for either side. Could play huge in our successes.

I think we will, probably after Virtanen and McCann get back from WJC if the Canucks let them attend. Shortly after that is the trade deadline in Feb? Mar? I fully expect to see Vrbata traded, from the way things are looking as well with Hutton, Hamhuis could be dangled as trade bait. Both of those guys could net a decent NHL ready prospect and picks

You're crazy to believe benning will part with any of his prospects at this point. Especially a d man who cost them corrado to keep up with the big club. I wouldn't be surprised if vrbata, Higgins, and hamhuis are put out as trade bait in order to get more picks. There's no way benning will discuss Hutton with another team, at this point he is our top defensive prospect, with very little guys coming up behind him

You're crazy to believe benning will part with any of his prospects at this point. Especially a d man who cost them corrado to keep up with the big club. I wouldn't be surprised if vrbata, Higgins, and hamhuis are put out as trade bait in order to get more picks. There's no way benning will discuss Hutton with another team, at this point he is our top defensive prospect, with very little guys coming up behind him

Nobody mentioned Hutton being traded. Read it again. He was saying the the emergence of Hutton, Hammer is expendable.

I love this line and have been happy about Butter since we got him. Was hoping to see this line and glad it seems to be working. It really all comes down to McCann though. if he McCann't keep up his solid play and goes back to juniors, the 3rd line center will be default fall back to Sutter. gonna watch McCann carefully, might even pick up Butter in my pool, if hes play with the twins hes gonna set career highs for sure.

Sutter will stay wit the sedins as long as they're producing but it's only a matter of time until they're back with vrbata again. I'm not sure if sutter can take 2nd line center away from horvat though.

Reading-Comprehension.jpg

There was one part of the game where Henrik was on one end, Daniel was on the other and Sutter was behind, and they just kept passing from one to the other and had the Flames try to rush from one side to the other.

Brilliant to watch.

I think finally they came down to the blue line. Good thing. Had they scored then I would have gone ape$hit

3 1st at the draft including Vancouver's own and you know Benning knows his prospects league-wide.

I also want to see Virtanen play with Horvat and Baertschi. I don't understand why he was sat out of the opener.

Hutton opens up a TON of organizational options. Let's see at the 9 game mark and see where the trio kids are at.

I see very good things happening with this franchise.

As for the main topic of this thread, yes Sutter is a center but as it was stated, the Sedins are so great that they adapt. However, Sutter is only 26 years old and brings an element to the Sedins' game that has not been seen before and it is beautiful to see.

Burrows is great with the Sedins but with Burrows' copycat Hansen playing with McCann, there is no real better way for McCann to develop than between two such vets which leads me to think that the Sutter with Sedins experiment might be here for longer than many think.

And that Hurton kid...

Archived