The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins as wingers

Ray_Cathode

PVR'd the game last night and watched it over again.

I have to admit to being skeptical of Sutter playing with the Sedins.

But, I noticed from the first shift that when the Nucks were in their own end, Sutter took the down low play near the net and the Sedins both played high at the points. This had a lot of positive effects. Sutter is a strong defensive player, a strong skater and checker down low to help coverage near the net. It also left the Sedins high to use their clever plays on the breakouts. The line just didn't seem to have much trouble coming out all night, and the Sedins had good energy all game in part from not having to come back so deep into their own end and pursue so much near their own net. It also put a lot of pressure on the Calgary pointmen, making their pinches much more nervous.

Faster breakouts led to great transitions, but the Sedins and Sutter seemed to grow in awareness of how they fit with each offensive shift. Having a right hand draw for many of the face-offs was also an advantage.

It's only one game, and too early to tell how NHL coaches will counter this, but so far so good. If it continues to work, less energy burned by the Sedins in their own end might just help those mid-thirties bodies stay strong all season.

I think the line has potential.

Of note, most NHL systems are not so cut and dry as to say wingers high on the points and centers cover down low. The systems are a little more advanced and often the first man back goes down low and covets what you would call the center zone and the late player cover the points regardless if one is the center. I'd think with sutter speed he's often going to be first man back and covering down low. If you pay attention when one of the twins gets back first they will drop down low.

Archived