The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Torts really need to start our goons in January 2014?

Fan since 82

Well it is embarrassing to have players that can't stand up for themselves against a midget.

Yeah because trading either of the Sedins for Marchand for 2-5 minutes is a better alternative. The Sedins are two of the best players in the league the only time I want them "mixing it up" is on NHL 16 playing as Prust and Dorsett.

I still support Torts' decision, no way in hell would I put the twins out against those goons. The only thing I really liked about Torts in Vancouver is he put more of a backbone in our players. You didn't see them back down against the kings, sharks, bruins, etc. However, this is a random conversation to have nearly 2 years later.

It's not that they can't stand up for themselves, more that it's not their game. Don't get me wrong I would've loved it if Daniel dropped the gloves with Marchand that night (even if he lost the fight I believe it would've given the Nucks a huge boost), but that's not his style.

Daniel was more interested in getting on the PP to help the team get back in the game and win the cup.

If memory serves me correct while getting speedbagged Daniel looked right at the ref and said "you gonna call this'?

The ref replied "I will", to which Daniel replied "when? after the fifth punch'?

Referee Kelly Sutherland (surprise surprise) then gave Daniel a ten minute misconduct for chirping him.

This is something that bugged me as soon as it happened. When Torts was interviewed after the game he said something like (sorry not an exact quote): 'When I saw who he (Hartley) was starting I knew I had to do the same. I couldn't risk starting anyone else and have them get hurt.' There's no way a line brawl starts if there aren't willing partners on both sides.

Why couldn't he have put our first line out against Calgary's fourth line? That's a line match coaches dream about. We win the draw, gain posession, and bam take a 1-0 lead within the first minute of the game.

Torts was out-coached there and let Hartley dictate the beginning of the game.

I know it's ancient history, but I only bring it up because it's a hot topic on the radio. Everybody is bashing Hartley, but it takes two to tango and I feel that Torts is as much to blame.

Thoughts?

PS - I searched for this topic but couldnt find anything. Apologies if it already exists somewhere and I missed it.

Hartley's move was, in the words of Dr Evil, a genius and cunning plan!

It was clear to anyone watching that Torts had pumped the team up to play mano a mano hockey the three or 4 games prior. We tried to match LA for having run Lou. Then we went full bottle on San Jose and Anaheim. In one of those games Sestito and, cough, Hansen got 7 or 9 minutes each for instigating fights when no one even fought back. In the other Sestito managed the trick again by memory. And we got slaughtered on the scoreboard in those secondary Cali games.

It was the perfect mind f_ck move by Hartley when we were ready to be broken. He knew we were all over the place emotionally. Just a day or two later there was no fight back at all when Hanzal single headedly knocked a whole line out of our roster. We lost like ten straight and were broomed from credible existence.

We entered the game with LA solidly in play off position.

We left with Jake Virtanen for consolation. Hartley won that chess match laughing his ass off!

Cudo's to Willie for starting Dorsett Wed btw. And Ferland for taking it on. LOL, maybe Calgary was deflated knowing they would lose their coach for a whole season that line up that took it on as another 5 on 5 brawl.

Forsberg would have dropped Marchand or at the very least stuck the guy on the next shift. One way or the other it had to be

answered.

Like Bure did to Churla after being tossed around by the Stars

(ofc he's get a 41 game suspension nowadays for that!)

Like Bure did to Churla after being tossed around by the Stars

(ofc he's get a 41 game suspension nowadays for that!)

no he would not,

if he did that 9 times in 9 years he would, but that was a one off.

he would get suspended though not 41 games.

the funny thing about all this is that it seems Bob Hartley is the only one left who wants to relive that night.

Torts, Sestito, Bieksa, Lane, McGrattin are all gone. I cannot remember who else was out there, maybe Engeland is the only player left.

I think the Canucks and Flames are quite similar teams at the moment, aside from the 4 players that fought on Wednesday neither team is goony tough. It is not Sedin hockey to goon it up, and neither is it Flame 1st or 2nd line hockey.

So after Dorsett/Ferland and Bolig/ Prust take each other out of the game Bob is left wanting to scrap and Willie won't play that game.

After the fights Willie coached to win and the Flames looked lost out there

that is how I see it anyway

Well it is embarrassing to have players that can't stand up for themselves against a midget.

I wouldn't want to see Danny sully himself against a player like Marchand. That isn't his role and should have been addressed by a teammate.

The problem was that year the mantra for the club was "get them on the powerplay" so AV decided that no retaliation was the order of the day. That was all well and good until the Finals rolled around and it was open-season old time hockey. Vancouver failed to adjust and everyone knows how things progressed from there.

I loved everything about that game, especially torts going off to the flames dressing room. I was licking my chops from the moment they announced his signing. Torts wasn't gonna lead us to victory, but he encouraged a philosophy of truckulance that was needed badly. I had as much fun watching torts as I did watching the nucks play.

Archived