The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[waivers] Matt Irwin of Boston

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/653248132726292480

Pick this kid up. I begged for him in the off season when we signed Matt Bartkowski. He's a big local boy with a great shot. Would be a steal right now at his price to. This seems like a no brainer to me, if there is a way to pick this kid up, we should be bringing him home.

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/653248132726292480

Pick this kid up. I begged for him in the off season when we signed Matt Bartkowski. He's a big local boy with a great shot. Would be a steal right now at his price to. This seems like a no brainer to me, if there is a way to pick this kid up, we should be bringing him home.

get this guy please please please!!!!!!!!!! and waive Weber or Sbisa Benning! Another huge opportunity from the hockey gods!

Yet he was just waived by an NHL club currently with two significant injuries. If Irwin were picked up by the Canucks then Hutton would be going not Weber or Sbisa lol.

Yet he was just waived by an NHL club currently with two significant injuries. If Irwin were picked up by the Canucks then Hutton would be going not Weber or Sbisa lol.

He has had a rough two games, but had a decent preseason. The fans in Boston are as dumbfounded as me that he got waived. Did not deserve to be waived and the kid is a great player.

He just got waived by a team in desperate need of NHL caliber defenceman, warning sign or....?

Also a team that has made a couple terrible decisions of late. The kid plays with a edge, and had good years with the sharks. He would be a steal off waivers for our lack luster D core. Someone will pick this kid up, why not us?

Listen he is not a " great player " or a " steal " on the Waiver wire. He will cost a current Canuck a roster spot, that Canuck would likely be Hutton and from what i've read and seen the team is happy having him here at this time.

Matt Irwin has some offensive upside, he can get his shot off from the point, yes he has more physical size then other members of the current Canucks but he isn't one to throw the body around either ( Sbisa does this already ), maybe a little edge in terms of " pushback " but not gonna throw his body around. He is also an inconsistent defenseman and most importantly in his own zone.

Matt Irwin I like and thought he was an interesting piece in San Jose when given secondary powerplay time, he is not a defensive upgrade on Weber and for the love of god!!! Sbisa.

If Vancouver picked him up on Waiver yes it would be intriguing but no it would not erase the disappointment people here have with Weber and again Sbisa :picard: because they'd be on the club as well.

So again Irwin is not a " great player ", not a waiver wire " steal " and is a depth blueliner with an inconsistent defensive game who has ability to get his shot through traffic ( Weber already does this ). Thus providing him a little offensive upside, however in terms of transition or passing ( see Ben Hutton ) he needs to improve this element as well.

Archived