The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[value of] Jeff skinner

I know he has had concussions, and his cap hit is 5.75m. Has had a bad plus minus, but he has played on a brutal carolina team.

He has shown he can score, hes built solid at 200lbs and 5'11''. We know he is capable of top 6 and I think he could be a great winger for Horvat going forward.

Reason I suggest him as Baertschi/Shinkaruk are not locks to be solid nhl top 6 players. One of these players im sure would have to be included in a deal for Skinner. The main issue is I dooubt carolina retains any cap and they probably dont want to take much cap on either.

I know they lost wisniewski and their D isnt that good. Doubt we would get them to take on Sbisa, even if we added one of the two players above and a pick. Edler, albeit his knee on staal would be a good fit for them imo. Staal could be gone soon anyways.

So Could a deal happen to get skinner here and bring a proven goal scorer to our 2nd line?

I would also re sign Hamhuis before making this move, as I think he would sign for a similar cap hit.

something like this:

Edler, Jensen

for

Skinner

What would it take, your proposals and input?

Not for the price of Edler. We saw what happens when Edler is in the lineup vs not in the lineup already this year, and we've had 2 games. In the lineup, him and Tanev were I think +6 or +7 combined. Out of the lineup, we battled, but started to get dominated late game in the third. Forwards are not our problem anymore. We have that, with quality forward prospects coming in as well. We need defense. Someone who can help Alex Edler, not replace him.

IMO, Skinner is one of those guys who has super novaed and is burning out. He reminds me of David Booth...awesome wheels, very good skill sets, great start to a career earning him a fantastic ELC+1 contract, but derailed because of injuries.

If I'm JB, I wouldn't try to acquire a player like this, especially when there is a lot of potential within the organization. I think it's way to early to write-off Baertschi/Shinkaruk as top six forwards...you gotta give these kids a legit shot to show whether they've got what it takes to take on this role.

The Canucks aren't going to contend for much of anything this season, other than the no. 8 seed in the WC, so I wouldn't trade any of the young assets for an injury-prone player.

I know he has had concussions, and his cap hit is 5.75m. Has had a bad plus minus, but he has played on a brutal carolina team.

He has shown he can score, hes built solid at 200lbs and 5'11''. We know he is capable of top 6 and I think he could be a great winger for Horvat going forward.

Reason I suggest him as Baertschi/Shinkaruk are not locks to be solid nhl top 6 players. One of these players im sure would have to be included in a deal for Skinner. The main issue is I dooubt carolina retains any cap and they probably dont want to take much cap on either.

I know they lost wisniewski and their D isnt that good. Doubt we would get them to take on Sbisa, even if we added one of the two players above and a pick. Edler, albeit his knee on staal would be a good fit for them imo. Staal could be gone soon anyways.

So Could a deal happen to get skinner here and bring a proven goal scorer to our 2nd line?

I would also re sign Hamhuis before making this move, as I think he would sign for a similar cap hit.

something like this:

Edler, Jensen

for

Skinner

What would it take, your proposals and input?

1. Your proposal would leave the Canucks over the salary cap. The difference between Skinner's salary and Edler's is more than the Canucks current cushion.

2. The Canucks are thin when it comes to top-4 defencemen. This proposal would remove another of what the Canucks appear short of. The Canuck defence looked weak without Edler on Saturday night against the Flames?

Our defence is lackluster regardless imo. we have 3 good d, edler tanev hammer. Hutton is a rookie, the rest are nothing special.

Vrbata is all but gone this year, leaving us with 2 legit top 6 players and Horvat who shows promise and then not much. Skinner would help in this department.

I agree defence isnt a strong part for us, but through good trade or fa signing that may help. Depending on the price i would be interested in Skinner.

Somehow if sbisa could go the other way that would be ideal, but doubt they bite even if we offer a young forward or two and or a pick

Carolina might not be as bad as you make them out to be http://sportlogiq.com/2015/09/08/the-hurricanes-transition-tactics-made-up-for-weak-roster/Skinner would be a bad move we need to see how the kids do before we mess with the team "If it aint broke don't fix it"

You're right about one thing; Shinkaruk is defo not a lock to be a top 6 NHLer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely be open to getting Skinner as a second line left winger, but definitely not at the price of Edler.  I doubt Carolina would be willing to do this, but if they'd take a package of Baertschi, Sbisa (mostly for cap purposes) and a second rounder or decent prospect, I'd be happy to try him.  
In my opinion, it wouldn't be giving up on Baertschi, it would be trading him for an equally young player who we believe has a higher potential.

They owe us from the Lack trade anyways ;)

Edler + Jensen? That is simply ridiculous.

1) Edler produces as much offense as Skinner. Exact same point totals last season and this one.
2) We're weak on D, but have lots of wingers in the system...but trade one of our best D?
3) Skinner is one bad hit away from being either out of the game, or completely ineffective, but he still has 23 million left on his contract.

I wouldn't touch Skinner's contract with a 10-foot pole myself, let alone trade an extremely productive and valuable player for him.

Archived