The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn (Discussion)

Why do we want Schenn? Could he be as good as a young Beiksa? Or, is he an over paid # 6/7?

he has the size to play in our division. We dont have a defender like him, he could be a good fit with hamhuis. good shutdown pairing

I would take a chance on him if he can be had for a low end price. Also I watched him play junior for the rockets, he was always going to be a defensive d man, but liked how he played the game. He is only 25 as well so he is still young

I doubt Philadelphia would have any interest in this. They want to clear cap not take more on. All this does is add 3.6 million of cap hit to Philadelphia for 2 more years and they gain a player that would hold no relevance to their success.

Not to mention Philadelphia doesn't need to specifically bring in defense given their defensive prospect pool and them somewhat in the middle of a rebuild. IMO they would probably most inclined to look for a draft pick or a winger.

Has he been hurt, or a healthy scratch the last couple of games? He has not played the last two. On a bad Philly D squad, think their only RHS.

I don't know what's wrong with him, and I'm not implying anything > but Philly would be lucky to get what we did for Kassian.

I'd be game, I think Schenn would look great playing opposite either Hamhuis or Hutton and could really turn things around. Might even be grateful for the opportunity and re-sign cheap too ::D

We'd have to move Weber + likely Higgins to fit the players and cap. Not sure how much I like Sbisa as our 7th D (he's better off playing more even if he'll still gets time with injuries) but we'd have some real depth.

Would also make moving Hamhuis at the deadline even easier....

After moving Hamhuis...

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Schenn

Sbisa, Bartowski

That's not bad at all.... Size/grit on every pair. Puck moving on every pair.

Okay, fair enough. Which makes his value even lower. Pretty clear he could use a change of scenery.

Weber for Schenn minus 20 percent of his salary could be a fair deal then, and Weber would be a fine depth defenseman and PP guy on a team with that defensive roster.

That could be the case. This is his 4th year in Philadelphia and the 3rd Head Coach he has played under now. His best season was his first which was under Laviolette. The shortened season he played 47 games had 11 points, played 21:52 a game, was a +3, and lead all NHL defensemen in hits with 187 (2nd best had only 153). Then Lavy was fired and Berube took over. Schenn's ice time dropped to 16:32 a game and he spent his entire time under Berube in his dog house (he was still 3rd among defenders in hits despite that TOI though). Now Hakstol is his 3rd coach and seems to be leaving Schenn where Berube left him. TBH Schenn may have only seen the ice because Hakstol was still evaluating his players.

But yeah his value is pretty much null at this point. Considering Philadelphia's tight cap they will likely value the cap space more than Schenn himself likely meaning no chance of resigning him. As of now he is just depth and they would likely dump him off for any asset that doesn't come with a burden (hence Sbisa being unlikely because of his contract length). Plus Gostisbehere, Morin, and Hagg are currently in the AHL system and odds are they would rather use one of them as depth later in the year.

If they were offered Weber they would probably take it and run. Hextall has also already said that he doesn't care that Holmgren gave up JVR for him he won't factor that into how he handles Luke. Kind of hinting the project may be dead.

Has he been hurt, or a healthy scratch the last couple of games? He has not played the last two. On a bad Philly D squad, think their only RHS.

I don't know what's wrong with him, and I'm not implying anything > but Philly would be lucky to get what we did for Kassian.

Healthy scratch. He was also a healthy scratch regularly last season as well and really only saw the ice because of injuries (Timonen has bloodclots, Gostisbehere tore his ACL, Coburn had a significant injury then was traded, MacDonald and Grossmann also sustained lengthy injuries). Berube had basically just given up on Schenn and he was a depth guy.

Unless another GM is making drunk trades which seems to occasionally happen I don't expect anything of value for Schenn xD Probably a late round draft pick or just seeing him walk at the end of the season. It was also implied earlier than he may have been waived before the season started (though MacDonald ended up waived) possibly implying Luke really has no value now.

That could be the case. This is his 4th year in Philadelphia and the 3rd Head Coach he has played under now. His best season was his first which was under Laviolette. The shortened season he played 47 games had 11 points, played 21:52 a game, was a +3, and lead all NHL defensemen in hits with 187 (2nd best had only 153). Then Lavy was fired and Berube took over. Schenn's ice time dropped to 16:32 a game and he spent his entire time under Berube in his dog house (he was still 3rd among defenders in hits despite that TOI though). Now Hakstol is his 3rd coach and seems to be leaving Schenn where Berube left him. TBH Schenn may have only seen the ice because Hakstol was still evaluating his players.

But yeah his value is pretty much null at this point. Considering Philadelphia's tight cap they will likely value the cap space more than Schenn himself likely meaning no chance of resigning him. As of now he is just depth and they would likely dump him off for any asset that doesn't come with a burden (hence Sbisa being unlikely because of his contract length). Plus Gostisbehere, Morin, and Hagg are currently in the AHL system and odds are they would rather use one of them as depth later in the year.

If they were offered Weber they would probably take it and run. Hextall has also already said that he doesn't care that Holmgren gave up JVR for him he won't factor that into how he handles Luke. Kind of hinting the project may be dead.

Thank you for the insight.

I think that would definitely a trade that fills both teams needs then.

I'll give Benning a quick call.

I'd offer at most Weber and a 4th for Schenn straight up personally. Not sure Philly would take that deal

We'd have to move a guy like Higgins or Prust elsewhere to create enough cap.

Or do something like..

Weber and Higgins for Schenn and a mid level pick/prospect.

I'd offer at most Weber and a 4th for Schenn straight up personally. Not sure Philly would take that deal

We'd have to move a guy like Higgins or Prust elsewhere to create enough cap.

Or do something like..

Weber and Higgins for Schenn and a mid level pick/prospect.

i think its doable something along those lines. Would love to somehow pry simmonds out of their be perfect for the twins. His ice time was been quite low this year, but he has such a good cap you would have to overpay for him

Schenn for weber cap retained by them or they take higgy aswel and we get a pick back

• 4 weeks later...

with B.schenn be a healthy scratch yesterday. I would try to pry the schenn brothers from philly. Both have grit, B.schenn would be a welcome addition to our top 6.

something like:

Schenns

for

Edler, Baertschi

Shinkaruk could slot in plays for baertschi, and he plays a more suited game for the west in my opinion.

Hammer and schenn would be a good shutdown pairing

B.schenn with horvat could be a good combo

On October 13, 2015 at 9:31:11 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I guess it comes down to what the flyers wants in return. As you said with Schenn’s low value they don’t have a lot of bargaining.

If it’s just a cap dump, then canucks could look to move Higgins for a pick and then flip that pick over to the flyers for Schenn.

Schenn at 900k retained, equals 2.5.

But looking at the flyers depth chart, they are fairly week on the LW. So maybe a 40 point player like Higgins is something they wouldn’t mind getting in return.

On vancouver’s side bringing in Schenn would mean a current D (likely Weber) is on the outs. It also means a salary like Higgins is moved to fit under the cap.

I do think Schenn’s type of play is something canucks are missing on their back end. A crease clearing D that likes to throw his weight around. The fact that he has a right handed shot is a bonus. Low risk (1 year, low assets giving up), with a potential for med/high return.

The tough "crease clearing D-man" has been extinct for a long time, in today's "OMG don't touch me!" NHL a dirty look can get you a match penalty .

There are no more Ulf Samuelson, Vladamir Konstantinov types left, remember post lock out, Darien Hatcher went from a Norris trophy to the press box over night.

Whether it's true or not, the book on Luke is that he just can't skate. Now that D-man can't brutalize people all they have left is being in the best position possible, and that requires mobility.

I wish Luke Schen's skill set was still relevant in today's no-touch, cerebral, homogenized NHL, but the coaches are the real stars of today, and anything that messes with their precious "systems" is a no-no

Enjoy those advanced stats boys and girls....and remember, if the game didn't suck you wouldn't care about them.

On ‎2015‎-‎11‎-‎15‎ ‎03‎:‎17‎:‎58‎, Yotes said:

with B.schenn be a healthy scratch yesterday. I would try to pry the schenn brothers from philly. Both have grit, B.schenn would be a welcome addition to our top 6.

something like:

Schenns

for

Edler, Baertschi

Shinkaruk could slot in plays for baertschi, and he plays a more suited game for the west in my opinion.

Hammer and schenn would be a good shutdown pairing

B.schenn with horvat could be a good combo

Schenn isn't the answer. If he was, Philly would be better. Let's draft and develop our own players.

And a big 'no' to trading for both. Unlike the Sedins and Staals, those brothers haven't accomplished jack at the NHL level, and need to stop being catered to.

17 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Schenn isn't the answer. If he was, Philly would be better. Let's draft and develop our own players.

And a big 'no' to trading for both. Unlike the Sedins and Staals, those brothers haven't accomplished jack at the NHL level, and need to stop being catered to.

This draft our own, Luke Schenn is one of the slowest d-man in the NHL and i don't want a reclamation project that might take years and fail.

26 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Braden Schenn is a really good player, but he's not any better than what we already have at centre.  No interest at all in his brother.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Braden Schenn is a really good player, but he's not any better than what we already have at centre.  No interest at all in his brother.

Yeah, Brayden is not the difference between us contending. And Luke is just another D-man with holes in his game, which we already have.

It's time to stick with what we have, and even take a step back (trading out vets at deadline), so that we can take 2 steps forward in the near future.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, Brayden is not the difference between us contending. And Luke is just another D-man with holes in his game, which we already have.

It's time to stick with what we have, and even take a step back (trading out vets at deadline), so that we can take 2 steps forward in the near future.

Excellent concept.  We needed Sutter to give our younger guys more time to develop, specifically Bo.  Now, like you say, it's time to let the kids play - in the current framework of vets - and develop to their fullest potential. 

If we could trade to get a young number one center, who would we want?  Or do we have to, as you say, draft that guy?  Is Matthews a center?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Excellent concept.  We needed Sutter to give our younger guys more time to develop, specifically Bo.  Now, like you say, it's time to let the kids play - in the current framework of vets - and develop to their fullest potential. 

If we could trade to get a young number one center, who would we want?  Or do we have to, as you say, draft that guy?  Is Matthews a center?

With McCann, Horvat, Sutter, and Cassels, we're probably fine at center. Organizationally, it is our deepest position. We just need time for the youth we have to develop.

We are probably fine at wing too. Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Boeser, Gaunce, Hansen, Dorsett (including guys under 30)... And generally, top-6 wingers are easier to acquire by trade/FA than C or D.

And in net - there isn't a goaltending prospect on the planet more enticing than Thatcher Demko, who already has 6 shutouts.

So really, it should be painfully obvious that D should be our focus. We got lucky with Hutton, which puts us ahead of schedule a bit. If we lucked out and got first overall, I'd take Chychrun over Matthews. There's also some great looking D-men slated to go in the middle of the first round, like Clague, Juolevi, Fabbro, Bean, Greenway.

If we ended up with a pick in the 3-10 spot, and Chychrun was off the board, I'd almost be tempted to trade down. Maybe that could be a way to snag a more developed D-man like Pulock (Pulock + NYI's later 1st for our top-10 pick).

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

With McCann, Horvat, Sutter, and Cassels, we're probably fine at center. Organizationally, it is our deepest position. We just need time for the youth we have to develop.

We are probably fine at wing too. Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Baertschi, Boeser, Gaunce, Hansen, Dorsett (including guys under 30)... And generally, top-6 wingers are easier to acquire by trade/FA than C or D.

And in net - there isn't a goaltending prospect on the planet more enticing than Thatcher Demko, who already has 6 shutouts.

So really, it should be painfully obvious that D should be our focus. We got lucky with Hutton, which puts us ahead of schedule a bit. If we lucked out and got first overall, I'd take Chychrun over Matthews. There's also some great looking D-men slated to go in the middle of the first round, like Clague, Juolevi, Fabbro, Bean, Greenway.

If we ended up with a pick in the 3-10 spot, and Chychrun was off the board, I'd almost be tempted to trade down. Maybe that could be a way to snag a more developed D-man like Pulock (Pulock + NYI's later 1st for our top-10 pick).

Man it would be tough to pass on Matthews, kid is regarded in the same rarified air as McJesus or Eichel. 2 things we need a top young stud d-man or a bonified 1st line center. If you take Matthews you trade either Horvat or McCann, Matthews is the heir to Hank.

Archived