The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking The Cdn Teams

Let me get this straight. 

Edmonton has the best player in the world at only 19 years old. 

We have 2/3 of a 36year old top line and we have a better chance of winning the cup, almost unanimously over the next 5 years. 

Cool, unbiased, analysis everyone. 

Next 5 years.

1.Winnipeg 

2. Edmonton

3. Toronto

4. Calgary

5. Vancouver/ Ott, Montreal. 

Immediately

1. Montreal 

2. Winnipeg

3. Calgary

4. Ott, Van, Edm, no chance in hell. 

Brown, Matthews, Marner, Nylander... scary young forward group the Leafs got there. Going forward, I'm sure they'll be the team to watch.

The flames imo are hard to gauge. Gaudreau is obviously their best player and their D corps, in theory at least, is good on paper. 19 year old Sam Bennet will be very good eventually but I still think that Tkachuk will bust. Dude simply doesn't have the body type to get those front-of-the-net goals like he used to in the minors. His skating is also below average (which is weird for a smaller guy like him). 

Potentially this year or next probably just Montreal. In my eyes Montreal is trending in the same direction we have been since 2011, so 1-2 years left there. But that's just my narrow view of it as I don't know that much about their prospect pool so I could be wrong on this one.

But in the long run I have to believe we are going to be in it again soon and definitely Edmonton with what they are cooking. Toronto is looking exciting again after a very long time. Say the mid 90's. Same thing in Calgary - lots of potential and young elite talent growing there, but they are destined to look potentially good and not get things done either.

Winnipeg and Ottawa are ok, but I get the feeling neither team is able to go the full distance unless they add some more key pieces.

I can relate to the general feeling around the league that we have the most uninteresting and boring team on paper compared to others in the NHL. But knowing more about our team than many professional analysts seem to, I really like where we are going. And on the contrary to the general feeling on CDC, I like our additions and the way we develop kids even if it feels like a lifetime to wait for 1 or 2 of them to arrive up into the big league. I also happen to like our duo of Trevor Linden and Jim Benning and I like what they are doing. And an even more unattractive opinion is that I like the way Willie Desjardins is coaching. Not every single decision, but in happy with his work in general. All this to go with the fact that I don't appreciate when fans turn on their own and hate their own team, management or players when they are all doing their absolutely very best.

I'm probably an anomaly.

The Oilers, Flames and Leafs have all been pretty brutal defensively so far this season. No true star starter goalie is the real difference between them and the Cup contenders. Worst of all, their forwards are all great and flashy, but can't help defend to save their lives.

Watching the good teams like Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and San Jose, their forwards all track back and defend hard, whereas the kids of Edmonton and Toronto in particular don't really play a complete defensive game which is going to be their short coming. At least the Flames have some rocks on defence. Edmonton's defence can help out their forwards but it's wasted with their rubbish goaltending.

Flashy, exciting to watch, and may show some promise at times, but without a complete defensive effort from forwards, defenders and goalies, these teams aren't going to make it far. They may even make the playoffs but that's when you really need a full defensive effort which is why they'll end up getting bounced.

The Canucks have shown signs of fantastic defence from the forwards in the early season which is IMO the biggest promising sign so far. Miller was fantastic, Markstrom was shaky, the defenders were well above average but more importantly the likes of Sutter, Granlund, Hansen, Baertschi, Dorsett/Burrows, even Gaunce and Eriksson defensively have been supurb.

Best in Five Years. 

1) Jets - Best prospects overall. Might get a no. 1 goalie in Hellebuyck. Best potential from their forwards all the way down to their goaltending. 

2) Flames - Comes after Jets because they lack a no. 1 goalie. Otherwise they'd probably be first. Top defensemen, just needs a better balance with shutdown D. If they can figure out their goalie situation, they're no. 1. 

3) Toronto - Forwards are a beaut, up there with the Jets. Outside of Reilly, defense is a disaster. Also lacks prospects of a no. 1 goalie imo. New management can change that in five years. 

4) Oilers - Forward group probably the best on this list despite the departure of Taylor Hall. Only problem is that they've shown that they can still manage to finish last despite incredibly strong offense. Problem is their goaltending, and awful defense. Nurse, Larsson and Klefbom could improve, but it's a long ride to becoming top pairing defensemen. AHL group of defense outside of the three, goaltending also sucks. Chia is overrated as a GM. 

5) Senators - Great cast, but reaching elite status is a big question mark. Karlsson is obviously elite but still needs someone to cover his turnovers. Could look to add more elite prospects. 

6) Canucks - One of the top Canadian teams currently. Hard to say 5 years down the line. Probably has one of the best depth out of all the teams, but still missing bonafide top elite offensive talent. Defense is looking really solid, with all eyes on Hutton on potentially being a genuine top pairing D. Goaltending looks good with Demko and Markstrom. Again, arguably the best depth on the list. Thrown in a Laine, Hamilton, or a Draisaitl or two and we're set. 

7) Montreal - Galchenyuk is a beaut, and so is Gallagher. But those two alone can't carry a team. Where will Pacioretti be in five years? Or how about Price? Or even Weber? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2016 at 1:05 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well, been a year since I first entered this thread.

Gonna have to try this question, simply for the Cdn teams in 2016~17. Based on points finish. Strongest to weakest:

1- Mtl

2- Van

3- Ott

4- Winn

5- Edm

6- Cal

7- TO

Many Cdn entries seem to have questionable 'tending(or D) this season. Should play to our advantage.

On 10/14/2016 at 8:03 AM, John Tortorella said:

2016-17

mtr van cal edm to ott

On 10/14/2016 at 8:19 AM, Shift-4 said:

1- Mtl

2- Van

3- Edm

4- Winn

5- Cal

6- Ott

7- TO

On 10/15/2016 at 5:59 AM, canuckledraggin said: