The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Props to Prust

samurai

Maybe I'm missing something, what has Prust done other than have 3 staged fights that had nothing to do with any of those games? He's looked slow.

Just about every coach he's had in the pros trusts him enough to play him in just about every situation when needed because he's a smart player who constantly makes smart plays. Whether it's extending the play, protecting a lead, buying time for a line change, breaking up a play, blocking a shot and turning it up ice for a rush, covering for the D on a pinch, angling the opposing D man into trouble on the forecheck, it happens on just about every shift.

Coaches love him and all you can come up with is, "He's looked slow."

Prust never wins or loses fights, no matter who he is fighting against, it ends up in a draw. lol

that's what the older fighters do. They hang on and wrestle. Tiger williams fought all the time near the end of his career and that's what he did.

Going back few years though when he used to fight RR then it was a different story

Maybe I'm missing something, what has Prust done other than have 3 staged fights that had nothing to do with any of those games? He's looked slow.

Maybe you are missing everything. He has been great on the PK, got some solid hits in (without putting us shorthanded), had at least 3 glorious chances to score and made some great passes. He could easily have 5 points in 5 games (3 points is pretty awesome in its own right).... this from a slow guy that does nothing?

The guy has worked his way up to horvats line because he never takes a shift off...when willy shortens his bench in close games prust is still on the ice.

He isn't mason Raymond out there but if you compare him to almost any enforcer in the league he is far from slow.

If Kassian ever completes his stage 2 rehab and comes back healthy and determined, he is by far the more skilled of the two. I am surprised that Benning didn't try to help Kassian more much like Gillis did with Rypien.

Even if he does complete his (forced) rehab plan, he is still not guaranteed a complete recovery. One of the main themes of addiction is, "relapse is part of recovery." Who knows how long he will be away from the game and how much that timeframe will effect his performance if/when he returns. I hope that Kass can get his life under control, but I think it will likely be a bumpy road. The Habs are not a team that will give him much leeway (re: Kostitsyn brothers).

From what I've heard, the Canucks put a lot of effort into helping Kass; especially Smyl, who took him on as a project. Time ran out for Kass and the Nucks decided they needed to move on.

I don't think you can compare the Rypien situation. Ryp was never a distraction for the team and never complained to the media about his lack of playing time.

If Kassian ever completes his stage 2 rehab and comes back healthy and determined, he is by far the more skilled of the two. I am surprised that Benning didn't try to help Kassian more much like Gillis did with Rypien.

Kassian was in stage 1 before Benning even got here..The Canucks (Stan Smyl in particular) worked very hard to get Kassian on the straight and narrow,...... ,inevitably ,the management came to wits end with him.

Kassian is without doubt the skilled of the two.....

• 1 month later...

Hopefully he'll slot right back in alongside McCann and get his mojo back. Those two (along with Dorsett/Cracknell) were dynamite and IMO our best line before Prust was injured. 5 assists in 9 games, we may have a 30-40 point scorer in Prust when it's all said and done. I want to see us try these lines against Chicago:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows

Higgins - McCann - Prust

Dorsett - Cracknell - Virtanen

On 14 October 2015 at 07:02:38, NuckleheadFan said:

Glad we have Prust and Dorsett, their intensity, compete, and watching their team mates back is awesome!

He also went up to the clown who fought Jake in the previous game with the Devils and offered to drop the gloves. He declined of course but what I liked is that we haven't had a guy like that in the team i.e. someone with a memory for past transgressions, since Rick.

As "Amish", "Downunda" and "Alfstonker" have so ably pointed out. Prust is one of those players that most teams need one or two of. He may not show up in the stats sheet every night, but the whole team knows he's there for them. From schooling Virt on some of the fine points of roughing it up, to digging in the corners, and just knowing he's watching out for everyone's back, I want him on the team.

The only thing that is a negative with him is that he may be taking a spot that one of our developing players would ordinarily be filling...ie Grenier (?). But that's just whining...someone got some cheese??

I like the toughness that Prust brings to the group. Too long have we been with out it. I truly believe that one of the reaspns why the Sedins are doing so well right now is that the opossing team knows that there will be Prust and Dorsett to deal with if they try to cheap shot the Sedins. That and he seems to have oretty good chemistry with McCann.

Prust is a tough customer plain and simple. He is needed and anchors the 4th line. That line has been pretty solid. Dorsett is simply to light to carry the full load. Add Virtanen and Sbisa to the physical side and Van starts to turn the tide towards a more physical team. It absolutely has to happen as other NHL teams are way ahead in most cases. Last spring Calgary ran the Canucks out of the playoffs.

The players above do not come close to being enough. IMO Benning/Linden are active in changing the culture.

58 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Prust is a tough customer plain and simple. He is needed and anchors the 4th line. That line has been pretty solid. Dorsett is simply to light to carry the full load. Add Virtanen and Sbisa to the physical side and Van starts to turn the tide towards a more physical team. It absolutely has to happen as other NHL teams are way ahead in most cases. Last spring Calgary ran the Canucks out of the playoffs.

The players above do not come close to being enough. IMO Benning/Linden are active in changing the culture.

interesting the Prust is listed at 6' 195 and Dorsett is listed at 6' 192 but Prust looks and acts larger than Dorsett on the ice.  Could the stats be wrong? What I like about Prust is that he plays with controlled intensity where as Dorsett plays in anger.

Archived