The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler is overrated

89mogilny

I don't give a fat rats' arse whether you liked him as a person or thought he wasn't a good guy. But over long periods of time, he did a lot of the dirty work and heavy lifting on his own with not much support. Notwithstanding the last couple of years here, the guy battled hard from the time he got here and IMO, he was the guy driving the bus for this team. When he was on, this team was something to behold.

He was here for 10 years and in one the memorable 2011 playoff run, he single-handedly destroyed the Preds while playing on one leg (injured his hip in the previous Sharks series). Sure we didn't see beast mode as often as we wanted, but I considered him the heart beat of the team who carried the team on his shoulders but couldn't do it all on his own, especially when he was injured. Seeing him in tears following the SCF is something I'll never forget and showed how much he cared about this team and city.

I see a 30 year old who spent his entire career with the same team, sacrificed his body and endured multiple surgeries and who upon seeing the direction the team was going decided he had to have one last shot go to a team with a chance to win the Cup while he was still able to play at a high level. I don't begrudge him that given his service to this team. Of course I didn't like how he left here and the bind he put us in with his trade request, but it was what it was.

You can slag his current contract or his current play with the Ducks, but don't downplay how important he was to this team or downplay his accomplishments for all those years as a Canuck because of your bitterness around how he left. It makes you look like a bitter ex-girlfriend.

I agree with you but the preds series was before the Sharks series

Him and Silfverberg were the Ducks two best forwards night in and night out in the post season last year. Kes had 7 goals and 6 assists in 16 games and was a key matchup guy for them... He's a gamer and every single team in the league would love him on their team during a playoff run. However, his contract is pretty brutal and they will regret it in a couple of years.

Why would Kesler feel obligated to go to a team he doesn't want to?

He signed a contract for less for two reasons, so we could surround him with cup winning talent and bargaining power should it be time to move on.

Why would he remove that bargaining power? For you? Would you do that? Say you were able to get traded to a team of your choice. Would you just waive that and go to Columbus or something so the teams fans you left feel better? Why would or should he care about that?

He was our hardest working player for a long time. I don't begrudge him to move on at the end of his career. I appreciate what he did here and wish him well. I don't cheer for him on another team but a small part of me would be amused if he and Bieksa would win the cup just to see the reactions of a few posters here.

Why Kesler should feel obligated to go to a team he doesn't want to go? because he is the one who is asking for the trade, the canucks wanted to keep him obviously. He selected 2 teams Chicago and Anahiem which is really one team because there was no way Chicago even wanted him. you cant have it both ways since you sign a contract, give a wider range of teams, he doesn't have to be traded to sh!t team but come on...

Kesler's team misses the play offs just one year and now he wants to be traded because he wants to win? So any good player that works hard that has NTC should want out now because they miss the play offs? So Danny, Hank, Bieska, Burrows and the rest of the league should do the same. Kesler threaten not to show up even though I think that was BS because kesler would have most likely showed up but anyways so a team that wins the division for five straight years, winning 2 PT's, one Stanley cup finals appearance and then they miss the play offs just for one season because of injuries and crappy coach. (I thought tortorella at the time was the answer and I boasted about it too on the forum about he was way better than AV but I was dead wrong)

I know he worked hard for this team for several years despite me thinking he is overrated, that's not his fault he is overrated it's the media's fault and he sure did cash in on that. Kesler thought the Canucks were done and they made him eat his own words by making the play offs the following year because now they would have Hank, Kesler and BoHo as our top 3 down the middle and that would be the best top three in the NHL. But that's not the point, it's about the integrity of the game look at guys like Shane Doan, Nick Folingno, Rick Nash, Eric Stahl guys and past guys like Dionne, Gartner, Stasnty have been around the league for so long and never had the success like Kesler did (their team making the play offs) maybe it was the Canucks organization fault for spoiling Kesler by being an elite team year after year and all he did was make the play offs with ease. Past canucks greats Smyl, Linden, Williams, Naslund, Ohlund, Lidster, Kearnes etc would be licking their chops just to have the success he had over those years but they never once demanded a trade out of here or handicapped the franchise. He is no Pavel Bure. organization and the city treated Kesler like a god, he shouldn't do it for the fans but his teammates were the ones that got burnt over it (sedins, burrows, bieksa) those were the reasons he should have stayed and tried help this team overcome the embarrassment that was 13-14 season, Hank picked his team over the Sweden Olympic team by using that time to nurse injuries, Burrows having the worst season of his career both physically and statically (after 06-07) those are just some examples.

There are some players who can have a huge impact and change the face of a game...he's one of those guys. Not every game, but when he kicks it into overdrive, he's a beast. And he's heart and soul into hockey, that often is the difference with those whose games can be elevated to another level...they want it that bad. I saw a game where he did that...just as Andrew Harris has done with the Lions in games. There are some who just have an ability to grab a game and carry the team on their backs .. not every game, but when they do, look out.

I won't say bad things about him. Hate some of what he did, but was a huge fan and just don't feel a need to do that.

There are some players who can have a huge impact and change the face of a game...he's one of those guys. Not every game, but when he kicks it into overdrive, he's a beast. And he's heart and soul into hockey, that often is the difference with those whose games can be elevated to another level...they want it that bad. I saw a game where he did that...just as Andrew Harris has done with the Lions in games. There are some who just have an ability to grab a game and carry the team on their backs .. not every game, but when they do, look out.

I won't say bad things about him. Hate some of what he did, but was a huge fan and just don't feel a need to do that.

Notice your verb tense describing him is in the past tense. I think we all agree he was once an exceptional player. He's not that player any more. Trevor got old too. Kesler is just getting old, and that's to be expected, especially for a guy who played his style.

That contract is going to come back and haunt Murray. He is way over paid. Used to be amazing but now he has declined. In one maybe two years he will be a 35 pt forward getting paid 6.8mil . wouldn't trade his time here for anything as he was one of the Best canucks. Still lol at that contract and good riddance

I know...I know...I try not to be absolute because everything in life, as you probably already know, is relative. Plus, there's a few posters around here that provide facts as facts and opinions as opinions -- don't you think?

Oh yes, I agree. Some posters on here are very knowledgable....some have a great sense of humour....some are definitely trolls...and some are just plain idiots, and, you can take that as a fact or just my opinion ::D

That contract is going to come back and haunt Murray. He is way over paid. Used to be amazing but now he has declined. In one maybe two years he will be a 35 pt forward getting paid 6.8mil . wouldn't trade his time here for anything as he was one of the Best canucks. Still lol at that contract and good riddance

Is this not what successfull franchises do: trade away guys like Kesler, and get back future assets - McCann? Kesler is clearly on the decline, McCann is on the way up. Kesler's demanding a trade actually was the best thing for our team's development. He appears" IMO, to be a really arrogant and selfish person; I hope the Ducks do progressively worse during his time there.

I don't give a fat rats' arse whether you liked him as a person or thought he wasn't a good guy. But over long periods of time, he did a lot of the dirty work and heavy lifting on his own with not much support. Notwithstanding the last couple of years here, the guy battled hard from the time he got here and IMO, he was the guy driving the bus for this team. When he was on, this team was something to behold.

He was here for 10 years and in one the memorable 2011 playoff run, he single-handedly destroyed the Preds while playing on one leg (injured his hip in the previous Sharks series). Sure we didn't see beast mode as often as we wanted, but I considered him the heart beat of the team who carried the team on his shoulders but couldn't do it all on his own, especially when he was injured. Seeing him in tears following the SCF is something I'll never forget and showed how much he cared about this team and city.

I see a 30 year old who spent his entire career with the same team, sacrificed his body and endured multiple surgeries and who upon seeing the direction the team was going decided he had to have one last shot go to a team with a chance to win the Cup while he was still able to play at a high level. I don't begrudge him that given his service to this team. Of course I didn't like how he left here and the bind he put us in with his trade request, but it was what it was.

You can slag his current contract or his current play with the Ducks, but don't downplay how important he was to this team or downplay his accomplishments for all those years as a Canuck because of your bitterness around how he left. It makes you look like a bitter ex-girlfriend.

He injured his leg against the Sharks which was after the Preds series. And yes he did carry the team for the 2011 playoffs. But if he truly did care about the city and organization? He shouldn't have handcuffed JB into one option. I hope he never ever gets to hoist the cup. Of the hundreds of players to come and go through Vancouver. I'm most bitter about how Kesler left.

Chicago definitely wanted him, just didn't have the cap space and assets to get him.

And again, he's got it in his contract to choose where he wants to go. I don't really care.

I think the fact that he chose to go to either of these chief divisional & conference rivals,...is the biggest burn.

That's why there's some lingering bitterness, here. He & his agent were always going to seek his next big-money contract in the US, to maximize his marketability & to grow the profits of his off-ice ventures. He'll quite possibly be named captain of Team-USA's next Olympic team. But, by bolting to either the 'Hawks (CHI) & now Ducks (ANA)... we are literally being forced to receive him as the 'villainous foe', ..he has chosen to become to us. It's all so traitorous.

That's the irritating rub.

Overrated or not, the return we got for him is looking pretty solid.

1st round pick in McCann, who so far is looking pretty good, may not stick with team past 9 game stint, but he's right on the threshold of being a NHL regular, plus his shot is to die for!

Then we got Sutter, not directly through Kesler trade, but Bonino was main piece that went back the other way, swap of picks, and Clendending.

McCann, Sbisa, and Sutter is a pretty damn good return for almost any player. I personally feel he is overpaid now, so in a sense, yes he's overrated, still a player any team would like to have on their roster, but at $6.8mil cap hit...he's not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

He was one of the guys that the Canucks drafted and developed and became an impact player. For most of his time as a Canuck, he entertained, had high compete level and left it all out on the ice. If Kessler did stay, I think he would've been moved by now by management, his demand just made it earlier.

Archived