The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Baertschi losing favour with Willie

Sedintwinpowersactivate

Baertschi was always the odd man out UNLESS he proved himself, and he hasn't.

So when Higgins comes back, I expect Baertschi to sit a few games and then maybe get 1-2 games here and there (like Kassian last year). But it's a tough hole to dig yourself out of.

If he has any inclination to end up with a contract next year he better play his ass off on Friday.

Bartchi-Horvat-Vrbata

Two strictly offensive playmaking wingers on one line doesn't work, esp. when Vrbata appears to have checked out since being booted off the Sedin line. Horvat is good, but overwhelmed with duties, and his offense has suffered...

Bartchi-McCann-Hansen/Burrows

This will only work if McCann is truly NHL-ready. Jury's still out.

Bartchi-Sutter-Hansen/Burrows

I thought this was the original plan, but Sutter's with the Sedins now, in an interesting move to turn yet another big center into a winger.

Bartchi-Cracknell-Dorsett

Meh. Losing energy and fighting Prust brings.

First Vey, now Bartschi. Maybe we should just stop trading 2nd rounders? Or is it a requirement?

Farhan Laljii

Willie on Baertschi possibly getting scratched tomorrow: "This isn't a 'try' league, it's a 'gotta get it done' league" #Canucks

Doesn't sound like Willie is happy with what he has seen from Baertschi so far this season.

I thought that he has looked OK.

Discuss!

Where was this last season with Vey and Sbisa? However, I've been okay with Sbisa this season.

Its a reminder to Baertsschi, that even though they had him penciled in for the top six and they made room for him, he has to still earn that spot to be a regular on the team.

He hasn't been bad by any stretch but certainly hasn't been good either.

He needs to manage the puck a lot better...he seems to lack confidence like he did in the latter half of last season. Isn't showing enough hunger in either of the three zones to demand time with the puck on his stick. That is when he is at his best, when he is creating plays and controlling the puck. HIs compete level isn't there...so being a healthy scratch would serve him well as a reminder you have to earn everything out there

Vey got scratched a few times. Didn't play at all in the playoffs. Sbisa last year though, I'll give you that one.

Vey had way too much power play time last season. I guess part of it is that we actually have some solid rookies that are earning a spot over Svenbae. It's too bad because Baertschi just seemed like someone that needed a confidence boost. Being called out by the coach won't help him.

Farhan Laljii

Willie on Baertschi possibly getting scratched tomorrow: "This isn't a 'try' league, it's a 'gotta get it done' league" #Canucks

Doesn't sound like Willie is happy with what he has seen from Baertschi so far this season.

I thought that he has looked OK.

Discuss!

Baertschi has had 1 just ok game, the rest he's looked excellent, It's Vrbata that should be getting scratched he's been really bad. If he keeps this up we will be lucky to get a second at the trading deadline for him. Willie needs to put Horvat with Barrtschi and Virtanen.

Vey got scratched a few times. Didn't play at all in the playoffs. Sbisa last year though, I'll give you that one.

I agree that some players get a pass (established players) and others can't make a single mistake (rookies). Willie is playing a dangerous game with the confidence of the youth of this team. I agree that you must earn your ice time, but in the same breath rookies need to adjust to the NHL and they will make lots of mistakes. The try is the key.... getting it done will come with time!

Willie is on the ball with his statement. It is really great to see Desjardins holding Baerstchi accountable. I had a feeling the kid had a lazy streak to him.

Glad to see that Benning was smart enough to sign him to a show me contract.

Although it would only be fair for Vrbata to be called out for his inconsistency, that would only hurt his trade value down the line.

Vey had way too much power play time last season. I guess part of it is that we actually have some solid rookies that are earning a spot over Svenbae. It's too bad because Baertschi just seemed like someone that needed a confidence boost. Being called out by the coach won't help him.

It's a grown ass man's league, build your own confidence by scoring, not WD's job to stroke ego's.

Are we just learning what Cgy already found out years ago?

Tired of these failed reclamation projects, certainly, esp. when it's costing us good picks.

Hopefully some other projects work though and we maintain mediocrity for years to come. Yay.

/lol

We'll make sure to keep all sharp objects and prescription medicine away from you.

There isn't a somewhat ready NHL prospect out there that isn't creaming themselves at the opportunity Baertschi has been given. I mean going from AHL depth to being traded and given top 6 and 2nd PP opportunity out of the gate is massive. I would hope that Beartschi can pull it together, maybe this benching wakes him up.

The line rushes this morning were:

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Prust Horvat Vrbata

Burrows McCann Hansen

Dorsett Cracknell Virtanen

So as a result Prust lands on the 2nd line. Granted he's earned it, with 3 fights and 3 assists in only 4 games, but his upside seems limited. I think we'll see McCann get a shot on the 2nd PP in place of Baertschi.

Archived