The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

France'sTop Weatherman Tells the Truth on Climate Change-Given Forced Holiday

nucklehead

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11931645/Frances-top-weatherman-sparks-storm-over-book-questioning-climate-change.html

Philippe Verdier, weather chief at France Télévisions, the country's state broadcaster, reportedly sent on "forced holiday" for releasing book accusing top climatologists of "taking the world hostage"

Every night, France's chief weatherman has told the nation how much wind,sun or rain they can expect the following day.

Now Philippe Verdier, a household name for his nightly forecasts on France 2, has been taken off air after a more controversial announcement - criticising the world's top climate change experts.

Mr Verdier claims in the book Climat Investigation (Climate Investigation) that leading climatologists and political leaders have “taken the world hostage” with misleading data.

In a promotional video, Mr Verdier said: “Every night I address five million French people to talk to you about the wind, the clouds and the sun. And yet there is something important, very important that I haven’t been able to tell you, because it’s neither the time nor the place to do so.”

He added: “We are hostage to a planetary scandal over climate change – a war machine whose aim is to keep us in fear.”

His outspoken views led France 2 to take him off the air starting this Monday. "I received a letter telling me not to come. I'm in shock," he told RTL radio. "This is a direct extension of what I say in my book, namely that any contrary views must be eliminated."

The book has been released at a particularly sensitive moment as Paris is due to host a crucial UN climate change conference in December.

Interesting. He decided to speak out and challenge research of a taboo topic and got a forced... Let's just call it what it is. He got suspended. Another case of silencing the dissent and/or people who question the forced narrative it seems.

The guy is a weather man, not a climatologist. Just because he knows what the weather is going to look like for the next few days (which I'd challenge anyways based on the amount of times they're wrong) does not mean he knows better than the hundreds of thousands of scientists who have observed, recorded and written on the impact of climate change.

This is the same as the "dissent" in the vaccine debate. There are literally millions of scientists and articles supporting the fact that vaccines do not cause autism, yet for some reason some people pray that one article will come into existence proving vaccines do cause autism. For some reason they think that one article or one scientist knows better than the millions of others who have found the opposite and that will make their false belief valid. It makes no sense.

The fact is that climate change is real and very observable. Even if climate change ISN'T man-made, who cares? Is cleaning up our emissions and making the streets of Beijing walkable without a mouth covering really all that evil of a concept? What is the downside of cleaning up our emissions? We can't maximize profits for a few years? Is it really worth risking our entire planet on the 1% chance climate change isn't our fault?

The guy is not a scientist so who cares what he thinks about a scientific issue.

I don't see why this matters.

Something tells me that if someone from your employment were to read what you wrote in here, then suspended you because they disagreed with what you said, you'd be pretty pissed.

Something tells me that if someone from your employment were to read what you wrote in here, then suspended you because they disagreed with what you said, you'd be pretty pissed.

Sure, but if it was because it was my opinion on Mongolian foreign policy, why would it be news?

I guess he missed out on the report where it's revealed that Exxon knew about climate change since the 70's thanks to their own research.

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/15092015/frontline-video

And if we're being 'taken hostage', to what end? To clean the environment up and reduce smog and cancer-causing pollution? Oh noes! If it's a conspiracy, bring it on.

Meh, I don't agree with his views, but suspending him over a book he released on his own time seems kind of sketchy to me. I can see why a news station wouldn't wanna be associated with misinformation, and maybe the problem was that he tried to link his views to those of the station. If that's the case, it's well deserved. If not, unless he's releasing books spewing racism/hatred/etc. I'm not really into employers punishing employees for what they do in their personal life.

If there is a climate change conspiracy, it definitely doesn't extend to Canada, considering Stephen Harper has completely dragged his feet on environmentalism. In fact, with the muzzling of scientists, we actually have a conspiracy against climate change experts.

The guy is a weather man, not a climatologist. Just because he knows what the weather is going to look like for the next few days (which I'd challenge anyways based on the amount of times they're wrong) does not mean he knows better than the hundreds of thousands of scientists who have observed, recorded and written on the impact of climate change.

This is the same as the "dissent" in the vaccine debate. There are literally millions of scientists and articles supporting the fact that vaccines do not cause autism, yet for some reason some people pray that one article will come into existence proving vaccines do cause autism. For some reason they think that one article or one scientist knows better than the millions of others who have found the opposite and that will make their false belief valid. It makes no sense.

The fact is that climate change is real and very observable. Even if climate change ISN'T man-made, who cares? Is cleaning up our emissions and making the streets of Beijing walkable without a mouth covering really all that evil of a concept? What is the downside of cleaning up our emissions? We can't maximize profits for a few years? Is it really worth risking our entire planet on the 1% chance climate change isn't our fault?

millions of scientists have studied and come to the conclusion that vaccines don't cause autism hey? Millions? Literally? I think maybe we should stop putting so much time and effort into studying vaccines and autism and try research other things with those millions of scientists... Maybe we will figure out the solutions to a lot of other problems. :P

Climate change is, and always has been, going on. The Sahara desert was once a garden...Canada's frozen north once supported a tropical forest.

Climate change is undisputable however, human impact is questionable. One volcanic eruption can discharge more particulate into the atmosphere in a matter of days than all of the industrial world does in a year. Forest fires release massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere every year and always have. Anything we do will be miniscule compared to what nature itself does.

I am not saying it is okay to spew toxic fumes like we do but the focus should be focusing on addressing our science and efforts instead on cleaning up our garbage, toxic chemical usage, over fishing, deforestation etc. The way we are going, we will kill off our race from these things long before the climate changes enough to rid the planet of humans.

In the end, the challenge in addressing Climate Change, or the other issues above is politics and money (like all things). The poor countries are lining up for cash supposedly help them deal with climate change, blaming the developed world for causing the problem. The developing world refuses to take any steps to address their emissions arguing that it is unfair they should be penalized when the developing world got away with it for so long. The developed industrial world is left with the moral obligation to reduce emissions, whilst paying for the rest of the world's problems at a time when economies are struggling. The climate change movement is largely about the re-distribution of the world's wealth and that is never going to be well received.

And Bill Nye is a science guy, but people take his word regularly.

If climate change isn't man-made, then going to sometimes drastic lengths using up resources, money, and research into trying to fix something that is debatable whether there is an issue and moreso whether we have any significant control over, seems like a drastic over-reaction to me.

1%??? Is that a scientific conclusion, or was that pulled out of some dark, smelly crevice?

I'm happy to have cleaner options for energy (had solar power for over 5 yrs, and love it), and taking reasonable steps to keep our environment clean, but the extreme position taken by so many climate-change fanatics is going too far. When you have people like Bernie Sanders claiming that climate change is the #1 enemy, it's sad that the hyperbole is lost on so many listeners.

Archived