The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Question) If Torts gets hired by another team....

missioncanucksfan

Was it him or the players? JB came on and dumped Kesler, and made other changes, like adding Miller and Dorset, to change the whole dynamic of the club. I thi Torts did the best any coach could have done with a stale group. He even said often that the core needed change. He was bang on correct.

Was it him or the players? JB came on and dumped Kesler, and made other changes, like adding Miller and Dorset, to change the whole dynamic of the club. I thi Torts did the best any coach could have done with a stale group. He even said often that the core needed change. He was bang on correct.

This.

He was villified for saying the core needed to be changed.. Now look at the roster.

Also, Hartley's a douche, the only negative about Torts blowup is he didn't knock a few teeth out

This.

He was villified for saying the core needed to be changed.. Now look at the roster.

Also, Hartley's a douche, the only negative about Torts blowup is he didn't knock a few teeth out

Hartley is the coach I want most to see fired first. Like you say, Torts coaching talents aren't X's and O's. He's got the ability to identify which guys are going, and he plays them. He saw a group where not enough guys were going.

Ya keep laughing guys....but going thru twitterverse and coming across tweets from Kuma and the beat writer from Columbus and I'm starting to sense that where there is smoke, there is fire.

He is an assistant coach with USA and he was smack dab right about this team having a stale core. Ya he has had his moments but he has also been credited by a few reliant players for helping them and making a difference in their game.

Now if a team like CBJ coughs up a 2nd for Torts and they mess the bed and that pick ends up being #31-#37 then that is a good way to turn a lemon into lemonade

One to keep an eye on for sure

I don't think so. I believe they clarified it so only when you hire someone employed by the team, not someone under contract. As much as we're paying torts, why should a team be forced to give us a 3rd round pick for a guy not coaching? If they wanted to hire an assistant coach or our AHL coach it's worthy but not a guy who's on payroll

From the combination of my observations, and more so what was in the media...

Torts took over a kind of fractured team. The year before AV signed a new contract. Then subsequently made everyone aware, what we already knew, that Lou wanted out. And called out Kesler.Suggested something to the effect his injuries, a guy who bled for the team in the play off's, should be used as an excuse. The response? Kess waited till half way through summer, then got surgery and took his time getting healed. Torts got these guys going early by having them work hard and riding the Sedins.

But he lost the team very quickly. Reports are he did not speak to Burrows till after Christmas. He punished, ridiculed and talked shat about Booth. Embarrassed him in front of the entire team for being late. Except he was not late. He went stupid in Edlers ear on the bench. Hansen also. So he was losing credibility fast. Wasn't showing up to run practices. Did not practice the power play... THEN he pulled the BS goon squad rhetoric in LA, SJ and LA. And got drawn into the Calgar affair by a clever Hartley. Who clearly messed with his head. And if the team was not lost before; everyone was disinterested then...

Tactics to piss off veterans and pressure the management to move them on only works if management thinks you have the credibility to rebuild. After watching what he tried to pull off he was justifiably shown the door!

This.

Meh; he was a wanker. How can you declare Burrows is no longer valid. If as coach you wont even put any effort into the guy?

I can see Torts doing well in Boston or LA, both teams have their coaches on the hot seat conveniently enough. They both play the physical style of game which goes well with Torts's coaching style.

He's from Boston, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a candidate to replace Julien, might be the perfect coach to light a fire under Boston—but then again, he was meant to do that here, but wasn't so effective.

Well, he rode the Sedins into the ground by playing them 25+ minutes a game, gave the complete shaft to Luongo by benching him in the Outdoor Classic, had a bed installed in his office, tried to enter an opposing team's locker room to fight their coach...oh & the stale core he was talking about? Many of them still play for the Canucks & had terrific bounce back seasons after Torts was gone.

Yeah, maybe it was the coach.

Archived