The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

He's Back! Tortorella Hired in Columbus

Torts was piping hot garbage while here. He was able to convince me for about a month that he was a different guy by saying all the right things at media scrums before, and at the beginning, of the season. It didn't take long to figure out the only thing he was good for here was having the appearance of standing up for his players (re: comments on Sedins). Thanks for the pick Tortellini, although, I agree with Mustapha. I never liked the compensation involved with someone who was fired. It doesn't make any sense. I'll still take the 2nd rounder though! After all, league rules.

People seem to love to forget that we were tied for the best start since 2011 until just after Christmas when we ran into the worst injury run in franchise history. He made his fair share of mistakes and he was a bad fit for this group but he's no where close to as bad as you and "dimwits" like oldnews claim.

People seem to love to forget that we were tied for the best start since 2011 until just after Christmas when we ran into the worst injury run in franchise history. He made his fair share of mistakes and he was a bad fit for this group but he's no where close to as bad as you and "dimwits" like oldnews claim.

Yeah? No.

He didn't show up to practise with the teams, didn't get the team to practise the PP, never talked to his players, and got the worst out of guys like Edler and Hansen. That's a straight up crappy coach. It's actually the definition of. 

Yes, we had injuries... but we've had major injury issues under other coaches, like AV, and still were able to compete. Torts lost the room, gave no confidence to the group, and let them run into the ground whilst he twiddled his thumbs. They gave up on him and he gave up on them. Brutal. And he said all the same things in today's interview that he said in his first one in Vancouver. Changed man? Yeah, right. What exactly do you think he did well here? I can't think of a single thing.

He might be happier and more engaged in a US city in the Eastern Conference but, unless he completely changes, we will see the same result with that squad that we saw here. A minor rebound followed by a complete implosion.

Could be any 2nd in the next 3 years. Still though, a 2nd for Torts is a steal by any account. I hope it's this year, though I'd be surprised if it was. 

As a side note, has CDC died? There was a time when news like this meant 4 pages in the first hour, but we're barely at 1 with 2 separate threads. 

Could be any 2nd in the next 3 years. Still though, a 2nd for Torts is a steal by any account. I hope it's this year, though I'd be surprised if it was. 

As a side note, has CDC died? There was a time when news like this meant 4 pages in the first hour, but we're barely at 1 with 2 separate threads. 

Seems like a lot of people are having major tech issues with the board changes.

Do you think there will be free beer at the wake?

Yeah I think because the thread links are broken on the main page (canucks.com) there is a big reduction in traffic to the boards.

All I can say is thank goodness we got something back out of the Torts debacle. Wasn't a fan to begin with and my mind didn't change as the season wore on. Maybe he'll have more of a positive effect in Columbus, but I'll bet Dubinsky isn't too happy about it.

Yeah? No.

He didn't show up to practise with the teams, didn't get the team to practise the PP, never talked to his players, and got the worst out of guys like Edler and Hansen. That's a straight up crappy coach. It's actually the definition of. 

Yes, we had injuries... but we've had major injury issues under other coaches, like AV, and still were able to compete. Torts lost the room, gave no confidence to the group, and let them run into the ground whilst he twiddled his thumbs. They gave up on him and he gave up on them. Brutal. And he said all the same things in today's interview that he said in his first one in Vancouver. Changed man? Yeah, right. What exactly do you think he did well here? I can't think of a single thing.

He might be happier and more engaged in a US city in the Eastern Conference but, unless he completely changes, we will see the same result with that squad that we saw here. A minor rebound followed by a complete implosion.

He actually got a lot out of Tanev, Santorelli, Stanton, Richardson, Sestito etc and instilled a shot blocking mentality in this team that's still being used to this day. As I said, he was a poor fit and he certainly made his fair share of his mistakes but to absolve the players completely is ridiculous. The team was mentally fragile,and really continued to be after he left.

It was a mistake for him to accept the Vancouver gig in the first place so soon after being fired from New York, he even admitted as much, and his head was obviously not in it. To think that after a year of decompression and self reflection that he hasn't changed is a little bit silly. Columbus' team defense is atrocious and if there's anything that he could help them with, it's definitely that.

Please explain why picks should be given for fired coaches. They aren't 'assets' that require compensation by losing them. They aren't assisting the organization. I know it's easy to be in favour of this because the Canucks win out, but a fired coach who draws a salary isn't an asset, more like a liability. 

I guess if teams are desperate for picks, they could hire a bunch of unemployed NHL coaches, fire them all and hold them hostage for compensatory picks.

You are easily the most miserable person on this board. We get a draft pick compensation and you still manage to piss and moan about it. 

Dear Lord, haven't been able to use the boards for 2 whole days due to issues with the change-over. Looks like they finally got it sorted out.

SO stoked someone picked up Torts so that we can grab that 2nd rounder. Excellent for us.

Archived