The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

He's Back! Tortorella Hired in Columbus

torts got us virtanen and a second sweet  tort out gmed mike gillis lol

Yeah, and as painful as it was to watch the debacle that was the 2013-14 season under Torts, his failures (and those of the players--lest we forget...) finally gave ownership the stomach to allow management to make real changes and start turning over the roster.

Another coach might have managed to limp this team to the playoffs and we could still have Gillis with one hand tied behind his back (by ownership) forced to tinker with the edges of the roster but never having permission to cut deep and excise the "dead tissues" that were preventing roster renewal and (eventually) a return to contention.

So yeah, many thanks to Torts for what was a pretty eventful, albeit short, tenure with quite the lasting legacy.

It only took a year of the inmates running the asylum for Tortorella to blow up the team built by AV and Gillis. And the Torts-led wrecking crew created enough of a mess that ownership finally decided that real changes would be necessary.

Getting to draft Virtanen and now adding an extra 2nd are just the gravy on top.

Yeah, and as painful as it was to watch the debacle that was the 2013-14 season under Torts, his failures (and those of the players--lest we forget...) finally gave ownership the stomach to allow management to make real changes and start turning over the roster.

Another coach might have managed to limp this team to the playoffs and we could still have Gillis with one hand tied behind his back (by ownership) forced to tinker with the edges of the roster but never having permission to cut deep and excise the "dead tissues" that were preventing roster renewal and (eventually) a return to contention.

So yeah, many thanks to Torts for what was a pretty eventful, albeit short, tenure with quite the lasting legacy.

It only took a year of the inmates running the asylum for Tortorella to blow up the team built by AV and Gillis. And the Torts-led wrecking crew created enough of a mess that ownership finally decided that real changes would be necessary.

Getting to draft Virtanen and now adding an extra 2nd are just the gravy on top.

ya now maybe we can trade vrbata and hamhuis and higgins   time to draft a number one dman

edler tanev

hutton chyrun  would be a decent top 4   with the xtra 2nd rounder we got from torts it  another asset we can package to get a number one d man  in the draft by moving up  

I think Torts will be good for them and can turn them around.  He will have a good young team with some gritty players like his boy Dubinsky he had in NY.  I had CBJ in the playoffs for sure before the season started.  They are a big team.

Could be any 2nd in the next 3 years. Still though, a 2nd for Torts is a steal by any account. I hope it's this year, though I'd be surprised if it was. 

As a side note, has CDC died? There was a time when news like this meant 4 pages in the first hour, but we're barely at 1 with 2 separate threads. 

New layout...no one knows how to post anything anymore

I was a staunch advocate of getting rid of Torts ...He was so wrong for the Canucks...However,he may be a good fit in Columbus,working with a young nucleus of players.

it will be interesting to see if he overplays his top six,and marginalizes his bottom six...A recipe for disaster in the NHL..IMO

Seems like a lot of people are having major tech issues with the board changes.

Today is the 1st day in a few days that the forums have loaded for me. It was only loading text with no images, then today it loaded ok, but the font and layout is much different. 

Benning must have creamed his shorts when he heard this news. A 2nd rounder from the previous management just dropped in his lap.

Archived