The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

He's Back! Tortorella Hired in Columbus

Yeah, and as painful as it was to watch the debacle that was the 2013-14 season under Torts, his failures (and those of the players--lest we forget...) finally gave ownership the stomach to allow management to make real changes and start turning over the roster.

Another coach might have managed to limp this team to the playoffs and we could still have Gillis with one hand tied behind his back (by ownership) forced to tinker with the edges of the roster but never having permission to cut deep and excise the "dead tissues" that were preventing roster renewal and (eventually) a return to contention.

So yeah, many thanks to Torts for what was a pretty eventful, albeit short, tenure with quite the lasting legacy.

It only took a year of the inmates running the asylum for Tortorella to blow up the team built by AV and Gillis. And the Torts-led wrecking crew created enough of a mess that ownership finally decided that real changes would be necessary.

Getting to draft Virtanen and now adding an extra 2nd are just the gravy on top.

So torts was so bad that now were good? Sounds too simple, please describe in three more distinct ways.

Could be any 2nd in the next 3 years. Still though, a 2nd for Torts is a steal by any account. I hope it's this year, though I'd be surprised if it was. 

As a side note, has CDC died? There was a time when news like this meant 4 pages in the first hour, but we're barely at 1 with 2 separate threads

I don't see this as a problem. 

People seem to love to forget that we were tied for the best start since 2011 until just after Christmas when we ran into the worst injury run in franchise history. He made his fair share of mistakes and he was a bad fit for this group but he's no where close to as bad as you and "dimwits" like oldnews claim.

Cool, an incorrect assumption right off the bat. I am fully aware that we had a fantastic record up until Christmas. I wonder if the system Torts had our guys playing had anything to do with one or more of our injuries during that terrible run. You know, a 4th line playing barely any minutes a night. That puts a lot of extra strain on the 1st and 2nd lines if the 3rd isn't soaking any of it up. I'll stop there though because here you sit exclaiming he was a bad fit, yet are still trying to defend him by calling me and other "dimwits" like oldnews (a sentiment I don't share, mind you) out. 

Torts. Was. Horrible. 

Like you said, he was a bad fit. Discussing this point with you any further seems futile since your response has you stooping to Torts level in it. Stop defending him. 

You are easily the most miserable person on this board. We get a draft pick compensation and you still manage to piss and moan about it. 

Thanks for the personal attack (a sure sign of a poor argument), but I am not 'pissing and moaning' because the Canucks get a draft pick. The rule was put in place to compensate teams for losing assistant coaches and other talent in their coaching system. Fired coaches are not a part of that system, so there is no reason for compensation. Turns out, I'm not the only one who thinks this is stupid, have a read:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-s-compensation-policy-needs-to-go-1.380283

Sums it up nicely IMO.

Torts will be a good fit with the Jackets.  Blue collar players that should excel in his system.  

Bold prediction is that he will be in consideration for the Jack Adams although Columbus might make the playoffs as a fringe playoff team.  Realistically, I don't see this as a bad move by Jarmo, certainly will be better than Todd Richards.  

Archived