The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing} John Tortorella signs with Columbus

canucks411

Yeah a 2nd rounder is a nice bonus.  But realistically their team sucks so far.  I can't see them turning around this season.

So I imagine this 2nd rounder will be their 2018.  6-7 years before that player would be expected to make the Canucks

In theory Torts is exactly what CBJ needs: a coach who will make everyone responsible in all three zones. But in practice it didn't work with the Canucks, but it did work in the past. High-risk, high-reward decision IMO. 

Pretty much bang on here...Just because it didn't work for us,doesn't mean that it doesn't work for a different team..Saw his presser and he said all the right things..basically,he has an open mind at the start,and he will take it from there...I think he has a real good shot at redeeming himself.

Pretty much bang on here...Just because it didn't work for us,doesn't mean that it doesn't work for a different team..Saw his presser and he said all the right things..basically,he has an open mind at the start,and he will take it from there...I think he has a real good shot at redeeming himself.

Meh, he said all the right things coming to Vancouver as well.

I am not sure exactly what happened with Torts in Vancouver, but it clearly wasn't a good fit.  Best of luck to the Jackets, and thanks for the 2nd round pick.

agreed. They have a torts kind of roster. Dubinsky, Clarkson,  folingo, and Saad are all meat and potatoes in your face players. They also have youth and speed. Torts had none of that here. I think  he will be a good fit.

this move is going to help further tank them.

John Torterella is considered a coach that is best used with older players, Columbus is full of younger guys.

But hey, its not a bad move. Torterella is a proven winner

didn't Torts win the cup with Tampa Bay and a whole bunch of young players? 

lol, man. after what he did to the Canucks I was sure he wouldn't be a head coach in North America anytime soon. then hockey USA breathed life into him and now look.

GL to Columbus. Hopefully they get a few good years out of him before people are sick of it all.

He needs to soften himself. Making players hate practices and risk being screamed at over a mistake isn't the way to go. Personally I think he lucked out in Tampa which validated him way too much. To the point that he kept spiraling within himself instead of growing, adapting and maturing.

You can be tough and emotional but still endear yourself to players. Roy is a good example

this move is going to help further tank them.

John Torterella is considered a coach that is best used with older players, Columbus is full of younger guys.

But hey, its not a bad move. Torterella is a proven winner

Tortorella is known as a coach that is best used with younger guys..When he won the SC in Tampa, it was with a young core of players..He considers himself a teacher to young players..and as you said,he has a winning record as a coach.

It was a good time as any to fire Richards,..It's early enough in the season that the Bluejackets still have time to redeem themselves..They've got the personnel to do it (providing Bobrovsky gets back into form).

I like the CBJ - like their young players and the base they have to build around - but I don't like this move, at all.  Aside from a couple guys, I don't think they have the kind of players that suit Tortorella  - I imagine he'll love having Jenner, Hartnell, Prout to work with, but I think overall this will be another failed experiment in hastily attempting to force a misfit.

I like the CBJ - like their young players and the base they have to build around - but I don't like this move, at all.  Aside from a couple guys, I don't think they have the kind of players that suit Tortorella  - I imagine he'll love having Jenner, Hartnell, Prout to work with, but I think overall this will be another failed experiment in hastily attempting to force a misfit.

He is already wreaking havoc on one of my fantasy lineups by demoting Johansen.

Archived