The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] RyJo Watch

In the early days of 2014, Columbus was at odds with one of their most promising players. Coming off an explosive breakout season of 63 points, including 33 goals and a huge role in getting CBJ a rare playoff appearance.

On Oct 6th, he re-joined his teammates after holding out late for a contract in his native Canada.

The next year he was by far the number 1 center on a team that went 42-35-5 and just missed the playoffs after an awful start partially blamed on his contract-distraction, and he finished the season with 71 points. Not bad a for a 23 year old.

This year, his team started an abysmal 0-7-0 and coach Todd Richards, a proponent of Johansen despite the contract holdout, was fired.

Within 1 game, John Tortorella, the team's new coach benched the team's leading scorer in a tight 1-goal game, telling him he was not in shape. Torts went on to drop his first game in a 3-2 loss—and CBJ is now 0-8.  

Torts was happy to play CBJ's no.2 center, Brandon Dubinsky. While Dubinsky broke into the league under Tom Renney, he broke out under Torts, leading the 2010-2011 Rangers in points and into a playoff spot.

The Vancouverite is probably experiencing what a lot of players in Vancouver did two years ago, a hysterical Tortorella who will yell and scream frantically everytime there's a defensive breakdown: in a sense, that's what CBJ seemingly needs, but will it sit well with star player Ryan Johansen?

Johansen the 4th overall pick in 2010 and the 3rd forward picked after Hall and Seguin has already shown signs he doesn't want to play in Columbus, a non-hockey market that has failed to build any consistent success. Will an Angry Torts push him out?

Vancouver, whether some sentimental fans think so or not, need to start thinking beyond Henrik Sedin as the team's number 1 center. Yes, he's still great, but he doesn't have many years of facing top defense left in him, and signs have become more prominent over the last 2 seasons and this one, yes, he still puts up good point totals, but it won't last forever.

The Canucks have some forward depth in their prospect cupboard, and adding local Johansen would allow them to move the Sedins and look to the future. Johansen is already a number 1 center and his potential looks like he could hit the 90 point range in the right environment.

Next year will be his last before he becomes a RFA, but with GMJK wanting to make the playoffs, perhaps moving a distraction in an asset that will have to be moved anyway will get the team back on track.

A proposal is always hard to gauge for such a star player, but Seguin-as-a-partier and tweener Peverley brought in one solid veteran, two fairly bluechip prospects and one depth prospect.

Here's something that might look similiar:

To Vancouver: Ryan Johansen (Seguin-ish value), Cody Goloubef (Peverley-ish value at the time)

To Columbus: Dan Hamhuis (solid veteran), Chris Higgins (had one of his best years under Torts despite the environment + a cap clear), Jared McCann (bluechip prospect), Brenden Gaunce (fairly bluechip prospect) and a 6th round pick (depth prospect value).

Easier to read version:

To Columbus: Hamhuis, Higgins, McCann, Gaunce and a 6th.

To Vancouver: Johansen, Goloubef.

Although the Canucks defensive depth takes a critical hit for this season, Goloubef is a right-sided defenseman poised for a breakout, who makes sound defensive plays and is strong on the puck (not tiny either at 6'1, 195 pounds).

Hamhuis and Higgins save Columbus' inability to play defense, which will help with Bobrovsky's confident, of which Bob has said he has "zero" right now.

While the loss of McCann will hurt, having Johansen-Horvat-Sutter down the middle for the forseeable future makes him expendable. At best, he will become another Ryan Johansen in 3-4 years, but that's still a gamble. 

And the Canucks retain their 1st round pick. 

This year's line-up:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Burr - Johansen - Vrbata

Baer - Horvat - Virt

Dorsett - Prust/Cracknell - Hansen

Still decent AHL depth up front: Shinkaruk, Vey, Jensen, Grenier, Friesen

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Goloubef

Sbisa - Bartkowski

Weber

Miller

Markstrom/Bachmann

But looking to trade the Sedins next off-season could bring in a top defenseman, plus the Canucks could still have cap space for a Lucic or Eriksson etc. signing/trade. 

I'm sure a lot of people are going to say thats overpayment, but that looks pretty fair to me.

But there is no way Benning does this

You don't think so? Because he'll keep the Sedins?

All proposals for star players are kind of far-fetched, but I think Ryan Johansen fits the mold of what Benning wants. Big-bodied, western Canadian who goes to the dirty areas: a return to the 89-95 Canucks that Benning and Linden were part of as players.

Plus, GMJB seems to be bringing in players with connections to the org. and RyJo was coached by then assistant Travis Green in Portland when he had his 92 point year, and on a line with Sven Baertschi. 

I'd easily be willing to do that. Then in the summer go after Lucic.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Lucic - Johansen - Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk - Cassels - Dorsett/Grenier

I think the Lucic - Johansen - Virtanen line could be the new first line allowing the Sedins to move down to the second.

I'd easily be willing to do that. Then in the summer go after Lucic. 

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Lucic - Johansen - Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk - Cassels - Dorsett/Grenier

Or move the Sedins in a trade for Shea Weber and sign Lucic, Hamhuis and Eriksson.

Baer - Johansen - Virtanen

Lucic - Horvat - Eriksson

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Dorsett - UFA - Cracknell

Hutton - Weber

Edler - Tanev

Hammer - Barkowski

Anyway, that's very very far-fetched and unlikely, but just saying a trade like this could open up a lot of possibilities. 

Or move the Sedins in a trade for Shea Weber and sign Lucic, Hamhuis and Eriksson.

Baer - Johansen - Virtanen

Lucic - Horvat - Eriksson

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Dorsett - UFA - Cracknell

Hutton - Weber

Edler - Tanev

Hammer - Barkowski

Anyway, that's very very far-fetched and unlikely, but just saying a trade like this could open up a lot of possibilities. 

I think the Sedins need to retire as Canucks. Although if they want to win and we're not contenders in their last few years by all means try to get a solid return for them. I have confidence we'll be contenders in 2-3 years if we get Johansen. 

I think the Sedins need to retire as Canucks. Although if they want to win and we're not contenders in their last few years by all means try to get a solid return for them. I have confidence we'll be contenders in 2-3 years if we get Johansen. 

Yep, just saying there's lots of possibilities either way if Hank is replaceable. 

i like ry jo but i dont see jackets trading him unless its a massive return which id rather keep our prospects and wait til hes a ufa the yr sedins retire  i can see reinharts coming to canucks as free agents in 5-6 yrs.    Id trade hamhuis and 2 firsts for  for ry jo  youngsters are not being traded 

sedi  sedin sutter 

burrows  ry jo lucic

baetchi horvat virtanen

gaunce mccann dorsett 

prust 

would run rampant on nhl 

I'm sure a lot of people are going to say thats overpayment, but that looks pretty fair to me.

But there is no way Benning does this

Overpayment? 

Hamhuis is a pending UFA, and probably won't be re-signing at the end of the season. Higgins is an aging serviceable 3rd line winger. McCann and Gaunce have potential to be top 9 forwards, but both have yet to play 50 games in the league.

Long story short, CBJ is pretty much giving up their franchise centermen for two prospects, who may not even pan out.

Overpayment? 

Hamhuis is a pending UFA, and probably won't be re-signing at the end of the season. Higgins is an aging serviceable 3rd line winger. McCann and Gaunce have potential to be top 9 forwards, but both have yet to play 50 games in the league.

Long story short, CBJ is pretty much giving up their franchise centermen for two prospects, who may not even pan out.

If CBJ makes the trade soon, adding 2-way presences, esp. Hamhuis' defensive play could save their season though. Plus, Higgy is a 40 point winger under Tortorella's system.

I certainly don't think it's an overpayment, but I think it's pretty close to value as far as a player in RyJo's gets moved for (similar to Seguin value). 

Archived