The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

Just like you showed up after 4 days and a 2 game win streak they'll be back after a cpl game losing streak. Isn't that how it's supposed to work on CDC? Either you love him or hate him, no middle point and no room for discussion. 

You can count me as one "in the middle".

I never was worried about Willie and overall, I'm happy with the job he has done up to this point. That being said, he's in his second year as an NHL coach and as such, is still learning to coach at this level. There's nothing wrong with that. All professional coaches go through the same process.

I always like to caution people not to get too high, or too low about a team, a player or a coach, this early in the season. It's a marathon, not a sprint and as such, there will be ups and downs over the course of the year. Don't start planning the parade right now and don't start firing and trading as soon as the first losing streak comes along (and it will).

Relax and enjoy the ride.

When Desjardins steps behind that bench there is only one goal. Two points! They are not baby sitters they are strategists. They are concerned with the way a player is preforming only in the way that it will help them win or lose that game. If they truly believe benching a player will win them a game .... guess what.
Its only natural that fans take exception to their favorite being "benched" and for some it becomes hard to distance themselves emotionally from the game and the decisions. And that's hockey.

As long as he can manage his strenths an weaknesses on the team hide the weak an spark the power ,roll four lines we may do as well as can be expected to achieve a playoff spot. Those 4 games we imploded in the third periods seems to have ignited Willie to do better in the third, recognizing especially in the west, you cannot roll 3 lines an win regularly .oTo achieve the kind of success that build expectations to unrealistic or sustainable levels thruout the season,Willie will have to continue to grow an trust his team with levels of responsibility to get the job done JB an TL have put alot of parts in play for Willie to succeed an I hope he does with this group.

Just like you showed up after 4 days and a 2 game win streak they'll be back after a cpl game losing streak. Isn't that how it's supposed to work on CDC? Either you love him or hate him, no middle point and no room for discussion. 

This thread is much ado about nothing. The poster seems to have created this thread because he thinks WD had no idea what he is doing with his deployment of the rookies. Yet the day it is announced that Virtanen and McCann are staying, JB was quoted saying that he and WD are on the same page with regards to rookie development. All we had to do was wait until the 9 game mark to see what they decided. Instead we get threads like this that slam WD who ended up doing what they wanted anyways. All that was required was a little bit of patience. 

WD is losing games in the third period. That is a clear sign he has no answers and really needs to be replaced. His assistants must be somewhat to blame as well. Its sad they hired a coach who is like AV, in that he is unable to adapt, and coach his team to victory in the 3rd period .

WD is losing games in the third period. That is a clear sign he has no answers and really needs to be replaced. His assistants must be somewhat to blame as well. Its sad they hired a coach who is like AV, in that he is unable to adapt, and coach his team to victory in the 3rd period .

does he seem rather simple minded?  It's like he is just a simple minded guy, who has no creative thought.  If it's a war, and we are storming a beach, he is bravely running at the machine gun fire even though he sees guys around him getting torn to shreds.  The smart coaches, who think creatively, are analizing what is happening and reacting accordingly - adapting to the circumstance.

With the game tied in the last minute of the 3rd period, a 15 year vet just coughed up the puck at the opposing team's blueline.

That's execution on the ice, not coaching.

For sure.

For most of the game, the Canucks outplayed Buf and deserved the win.  The loss was due to poor execution by the team's best players. 

Years ago when Tiger Williams was playing in Vcr. When it was a tied game he was a fixture at wing for the last minute. He could get the puck out...some times the opponent was chopped out too but hey who cares. Coaches should know who can get the job done and Daniel is not one of those guys. WD blew a point yesterday. Should have been Sutter/Horvat/Higgins/Hansen for the last shift in that position in that game IMO  certainly the two best F/O centres

AV is one of the best coaches in the NHL....:towel:

Aren't the Canucks doing better than most predicted before the season started???

I'm pretty sure most were thinking 8-12 in West. 

Surprise we're 5th. Plus the 100+ point season last year. I think WD doing OK.....:o

Please name me one coach who has never lost a game in the 3rd period....

Don Shula, just to name one.^_^  I could go on if needed.

You're going to compare a football coach to a hockey coach?....

Footballs teams play once a week. Hockey coaches play for 82 games. I'm not even going to keep going on about how bad of a comparison you've made. I don't think I even need to... lol

You're going to compare a football coach to a hockey coach?....

Footballs teams play once a week. Hockey coaches play for 82 games. I'm not even going to keep going on about how bad of a comparison you've made. I don't think I even need to... lol

football, basketball, soccer, handball.  The list is long of sports with coaches, who never lost a game in the third period.^_^

AV just hit his 9th straight VICTORY. I think U need to know how to coach in the 3rd period to do that....:towel:

If AV couldn't win in the 3rd period how in the hell did he win so many games. Did he mind trick all the Jack Adam's voters as well.

football, basketball, soccer, handball.  The list is long of sports with coaches, who never lost a game in the third period.^_^

Alf, it depends on how many times you are winning GOING INTO the 3rd period does it not.

How many rookies in the team.

How many players and their importance, missing due to injury.

How many games are played in so many days. Players obviously suffer from mental fatigue and that's when mistakes are made.

How much the lines are being changed about. Let's face it if Willie changed the lines as much as CDC want him to, we would never be leading going into the 3rd period anyway.

So we can see there are all manner of factors (leaving aside a goalie standing on his head or ref error) that can affect the a 3rd period reverse.

I don't believe there is a 3rd period in soccer, is there? I thought that was 2 halves.

Archived