The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Short term memory

MLT

Nobody objected to Horvat's less ice time because he was not amongst 3 other kids. With Baertschi, McCann and Virtanen, we cant afford to give them 7 minutes a night. Its not practical. That is a full line on the bench. Add that to the fact that Horvat was coming off injury, making it more imporant to ease him in.

And now the Sedins are back over 20 minutes a game, which is what Torts was criticized for. I agree that it's ok to play them less in the 3rd period with the game one the line, but they aren't getting any ice time, and we're still blowing 3rd period leads.

If our big guns get those extra couple of minutes of rest on the bench in the 3rd, maybe they have the legs to close out the game.

Do you mean: just like how Calgary is giving (18)19 year old Bennet only 6 Minutes a night on the 4th line and no offensive assignments?

Each player has a unique talent and while I have no issue with sheltering a rookie, what's wrong with suggesting there is a better way than what WD is doing at the moment? 

I had no issue with the PP and other big offensive minutes he gave Vey, it gave us all a good sense of his current strengths and challenges.  He had a fair shot.

You all seem to have some memory loss. I see everyone complaining everywhere about how the young guys are being under used. Does nobody remember how Horvat was introduced to the league? He was used VERY sparingly at the beginning of last season, even up until the 3/4 mark. It was prob thanks to this that he was so effective in the second half, and that his confidence was so high in the playoffs. 

Believe it or not WD knows more about hockey, and about rookie development than all you hacks. He is developing his young players properly. Slowly, as to limit their mistakes. 

These kids are not used to playing this many games in such a short span of time. They need to be introduced slowly or they'll have no gas left by late December. 

You know you could have just posted this as a response in the other thread(s) right?

THANK YOU. I've been preaching this in multiple threads now saying the exact same thing.

I've said it as well. The OP isn't going to change people's minds by creating a new thread to talk about it though.

Not true, Horvat played with Dorsett and Kenins and they had a regular shift, if you remember WD was getting mad props because he ran 4 lines during the entire game. Horvat was getting between 12-14 minutes every game and the players that picked up extra time did so on special teams.

NHL, not Hockey Ultimate Team bro.  Horvat was playing limited minutes at the beginning of the season and through most of the first half, no where near 12-14 minutes every game.  Horvat's average TOI per game barely cracked 12 minutes over the entire season, including the second half where he actually was getting regular playing time.  

Maybe his minutes weren't limited to the extent that some guys' are seeing this year, but there is a different approach for every type of player.  

You know you could have just posted this as a response in the other thread(s) right?

I've said it as well. The OP isn't going to change people's minds by creating a new thread to talk about it though.

probably not. however, its nice to see some of us are keeping a level head regarding our younger players and couaching staff.

NHL, not Hockey Ultimate Team bro.  Horvat was playing limited minutes at the beginning of the season and through most of the first half, no where near 12-14 minutes every game.  Horvat's average TOI per game barely cracked 12 minutes over the entire season, including the second half where he actually was getting regular playing time.  

Maybe his minutes weren't limited to the extent that some guys' are seeing this year, but there is a different approach for every type of player.  

Horvat was also one of our only centermen dominating faceoffs, so they used him a little more when they needed someone and didn't want to overwork Henrik. Bonino and Vey out with Hank, Sutter and Horvat shouldering the faceoff duties alleviates that need a little more this year (as far as McCann at least).

probably not. however, its nice to see some of us are keeping a level head regarding our younger players and couaching staff.

But it's CDC, and we've all heard the definition of insanity. For anyone still trying to change the rabble's mind on their irrational thoughts they fit that definition.

LOL this message board is ridiculous. You can say that about any post on the front page. 

I might add, Horvat's main role last year was to play well defensively and win faceoffs. He is a defence first player. It would make sense to limit his ice time, as he wuld make less defensive errors, thus increasing his confidence. I woukd have to say Baertschi, Virtanen are more offensive players that would feed on lots of ice time. McCann being a centreman would benefit from the Horvat treatment.

I wouldn't go so far as to say CDC members are hacks for their opinions. May be a surprise but there are a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans and people who played, coached, managed in hockey and some at the highest levels so I wouldn't write off and generalize CDCers as hacks lol.

lol... wait... I think you are being serious

Even when Horvat was their best player in the playoffs, he still didn't get a lot of ice time. Doesn't make it right. The point of the '9 games' is to see if they belong, or if they should be sent back. Hard to really see and properly access them if they are only getting 5-8 mins/game. Play them for 12 mins/game and see what they got, if they can't do it, send them back to jrs.

lol... wait... I think you are being serious

Oh yeah, just pointing out that CDC is not full of a bunch of members who pretend to know things and who actually do have a valued opinion based off of actual experience in the game at various degrees.

I mean you have MLT pointing out that the coach of the Canucks obviously knows more than us CDC hacks, coming from a fellow CDC hack...........

To the point, yes bringing along youth slowly is usually the way to go from what I have observed as a fan of the game, on the flip side however it is also useful to place players in roles they can succeed in re: top six forward playing a grinding role may teach the player more responsibility but also retard his development offensively.

Not true, Horvat played with Dorsett and Kenins and they had a regular shift, if you remember WD was getting mad props because he ran 4 lines during the entire game. Horvat was getting between 12-14 minutes every game and the players that picked up extra time did so on special teams. 

Actually for at least the first ~month or so of the season, Horvat was getting like 7-9 minutes per game and people were making the same whining comments regarding his ice time. 

Also Kenins wasn't even brought up to play until January 30. So just no.

Actually for at least the first ~month or so of the season, Horvat was getting like 7-9 minutes per game and people were making the same whining comments regarding his ice time. 

Also Kenins wasn't even brought up to play until January 30. So just no.

I remember hearing things on here about how playing so little is going to ruin Horvat's development, and Willie doesn't trust the young guys, he's better off in Junior that becoming a 4th line grinder.  Funny how when it starts to appear that strategy has paid off everyone shuts up about Horvat and starts to whine about the treatment of the next young guy.  There is no pleasing some people.

Nobody objected to Horvat's less ice time because he was not amongst 3 other kids. With Baertschi, McCann and Virtanen, we cant afford to give them 7 minutes a night. Its not practical. That is a full line on the bench. Add that to the fact that Horvat was coming off injury, making it more imporant to ease him in.

lol? Dumb comment. We are 0-3 in extra time. What is tiping point for you? 0-5? 0-10?

Archived