The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 3 "bad" trades...

BlackRedYellow

I've always thought Sutter was a solid player. The Lack trade... We could've gotten more out of it IMO.

Funny how everyone thinks we should've gotten more for Lack. Maybe you all should have worked the phones for 3 month trying to find a trade partner that would give you more. Great job by Benning getting us anything for a guy that'll be out of the league in 3 years.

Hey guys...

During the summer these pages on CDC were crowded by members shouting out how bad JB did regarding especially three trades;

Sutter for Bones

Miller instead of Lack

Prust for Kass

Sutter for Bones

I was more upset with the cap hit for a 3rd line grinder with the Sutter trade. And still I'm not convinced he can sustain his production levels, especially now that he doesn't play as one of the anointed in the holy trinity of the top line.  But if he simply plays like a young Burrows I'd be happy. I was disappointed with Bonino's soft play. And, different than Bonino, I predict he'll actually show up for the playoffs. You can never have enough of these types of players in the post season. So its a win.

Miller instead of Lack

This one is hard to call right now. Sure we can use a proven vet in net like Miller, and he is playing brilliantly right now. But like all aging players, with the grind of a full season, he will not be the same player in April as he is now. If we could magically transport the October Miller to the April Miller there is no telling how far we could go this season. Whereas if we had kept Lack and done a tandem this season with Markstrom, with each one fighting for #1, spreading out both of their minutes, we'd not only have a younger, fresher, netminder for the playoffs, but we'd also have a few more millions to put towards bolstering the D.

Prust for Kass

Its a long sad tale of an asset plummeting downwards. From the heights of acquiring Cody Hodgson, highly praised by Bob McKenzie as perhaps the steal of the draft. A player that SHOULD have been named MVP of his World Juniors run, a player voted twice as the smartest player by Junior coaches. A captain and leader who was projected to be a leader on our team in the future. Then daddy got involved (and Cody didn't do enough to shut him up apparently).....

...for a Buffalo project with an unlimited upside. Kassians biggest enemy being the one between his ears. He was adored by fans and had everything going for him. The problem is that Kass seemed to have come to the conclusion that he had made it in life by simply making it into the NHL, and obviously celebrated that fact on his off time. That instead of realizing he had to actually work HARDER now, he took being an NHL player as an end goal, like it was some kind of ultimate achievement on its own, and other than a few minutes (seconds actually) in games where he had a big hit, or a goal, he coasted.

...for

an older 4th liner. Big, and tough, and at least more willing to engage than Kass, but lets face it, without McCann or even the surprisingly offensive minded Dorsett, he wouldn't have the assists he has  had so far. But he's a serviceable 4th liner and will  be indispensable for the playoffs. And that's ok.

But from "the steal of the 2008 entry draft" to "ok" is a long ways.

I was a fan of Sutter due to my friend who is a Pitt fan consistently talking up Sutter and his nasty backhand. Bonino was great on the PK and good early on, but man did he fade. He always seemed to have confidence issues, as it would be shot after a couple bad games. He also didn't show up at all in the playoffs despite his game 5 goal. With Sutter we literally replace everything Bonino has except maybe his passing. I was sad about giving up Clendenning, though.

I loved the Miller signing, and I knew people were overreacting about Lack. He was dreadful in the playoffs and we couldn't get any momentum with him in net. I think Miller is due for a huge year.

I knew people were going to freak about about the Prust trade, and honestly I was a bit upset that they were giving up on Kassian before the incident came out with him in rehab. I knew Prust would be a great fan favorite seeing as how people treat Dorsett. Great team player giving us toughness.

Also I forgot to mention...

Kesler, 9 games 2 assists, -5

Sbisa, 9 games 1 goal 1 assist, +2

Just a little reminder about our friend, Kes. Has he been a real good player? Yes. Is he still a real good player? Yes. Will he be a real good player for much longer? Not likely. Lots of mileage, lots of hits. As determined as he is, the wear and tear on him is not insignificant, and he'll be slowing down. It's inevitable. And we'll be watching an excellent Jared McCann for the next decade plus. After you wipe away the initial disdain of trade, the Canucks win that one BIGTIME.

Hey guys...

During the summer these pages on CDC were crowded by members shouting out how bad JB did regarding especially three trades;

Sutter for Bones

Miller instead of Lack

Prust for Kass

So ok, so far these trades seems to be game winners for JB!

Sutter has 7 points in 9 games, and playing a solid game (even filling in pretty good with the Sedins) while Bones has 1 point in 8 games. Anyone still claiming that Bones are as good as Sutter for us!?

Miller is giving us Miller Time in almost every game, a solid .930 SV% individual stat, but most importantly, gives us a chance to win all the games we're playing. Meanwhile, Lack is no 2 in Carolina, posting a dreadful .833 SV% and 4.77 GAA and no wins in just two games. Should we have shipped Miller and kept Lack!?

Prust is giving us fighting spirit, protection for the young guns and also playing very solid. (Bonus: 5 points in 9  games!!) But where's Kass!? Oh, still no games played. I guess we should have kept Kass, eh? 

Still it's early in the season, and these stats may change. But for now, I'd say that JB knows better than us! (I was one of the guys not being that happy about the Lack and Kass trades.)

Or what's your take on these trades right now?

PS And oh, I'm not sure Canucks Talk is the right forum, but since I've seen tons of similar topics last year in the exactly same spot, I'm guessing it's correct. Cause they never got moved. But please, feel free to move it if I'm out of order here ;-)

Was in full favour of the Sutter deal. Very happy with the return on Lack. We got a desired prospect for an average goalie raised on a pedestal by this ridiculous fanbase.

Still not sure on the Kassian deal. Prust has been a pleasant surprise. Kassian has take another step back. It may turn out I was wrong on that one. Youth and potential still makes Kassian valuable but his inability to grow beyond his 10-cent head means Benning may have done the right thing.

Prust isn't just some 4th line plug, he got 13 goals, 29 points playing all over the lineup in New York in 2011.

Plus he got 5 shorthanded goals in one year.

Exactly.

He's a reasonably skilled grit forward like Dorsett, who drives play with energy, plays responsible defensive hockey (can pk), drops his gloves when necessary, and chips in respectable production considering their minutes (and situational play) - only highlight reel fans who don't know shat refer to players like that as plugs.

I still maintain my stance on the Kassian deal.  Not a fan.  Regardless of what situation Kassian is now, he still is the better player and has youth and potential.

Sometimes you improve your team by subtraction.  

Do you really think it would be a good idea for the kids to develop in an environment with Kassian around?  I was a fan of Kass when he was here and was really hoping he'd develop into the player we all know he could be, but he would be a bad influence on the younger guys.  

Think about it, Zach is a highly likable guy but is into some bad stuff and didn't have the work ethic to take his game where it needed to be.  Not exactly the kind of player you want guys like McCann and especially Virtanen to be learning from.

Prust on the other hand is a true warrior.  The guy gives it 110% every shift and sticks up for his teammates and is an underrated hockey player.  Great work ethic and team-centric mindset.

At the time the trade happened I think most people (including myself) were quite surprised and unhappy with the trade especially since it involved us sending the 5th round pick over to MTL as well, but with all the information and circumstances that have been revealed in the last few months, I don't see how anyone could still be unhappy about the trade.

Also I forgot to mention...

Kesler, 9 games 2 assists, -5

Sbisa, 9 games 1 goal 1 assist, +2

I love it....thanks for pointing this out, not to mention......McCann= 7 games 4 goals.

All in all, Canucks currently have 13 points from roster players gained in the Kesler deal.

Just a little reminder about our friend, Kes. Has he been a real good player? Yes. Is he still a real good player? Yes. Will he be a real good player for much longer? Not likely. Lots of mileage, lots of hits. As determined as he is, the wear and tear on him is not insignificant, and he'll be slowing down. It's inevitable.  

I don't know if it's injury or mileage or what but I've seen that^ happen within single games this year.

Last night in the 1st period, he comes roaring in on the forecheck, pounds the D man, separates him from the puck, dishes off to Perry who sets up Hagelin for the 3 - 0 goal.

3rd period, on the game winner, he gets caught behind the play (again after a shaky 2nd) and scored on by the 3rd line sent out to check him...Bieksa looked like a statue on that play too, 2 feet away from Roussel when he scored, all he had to do was tie up his stick.

Benning is building a team.  These moves were about moving out players who did not fit the profile and bringing in players who did fit the profile of players on the future Canucks.  What is that?

• fast
  • hard to play against
  • character
  • good shot

The issue I had with what went on last summer was extending Sutter before we saw him play in Vancouver.  So far, he's living up to expectations.  Defensively strong player who is tall with a good reach, fast, good shot (projecting to 20 something goals) and a right hander good on face offs (Canucks are at the top of the league in FO%).  Fits all criteria above and is an upgrade on Bonino is all of them.  Clendining didn't have the mobility that Benning wanted on the back end.

We all knew that Kassian had off ice issues but there was no evidence.  There is now as he is suspended in Stage 2 rehab.  On ice he was inconsistent.  A big distraction and under performer.  Good luck to Zack in the future.

Eddy was let go due to the numbers game and because Benning thought Markstrom had more mental toughness.  I thought Eddy bounced back well when he had poor showings so was mentally tough.  He also has a great work ethic.  It remains to be seen if the right decision was made here.

I love how Benning is sticking to his blueprint. If a player he acquires doesn't gel as well as he anticipated, he doesn't hesitate to unload. Sending Linden Vey to Utica was a Huge statement IMO. He has balz.

He is like an eccentric wierdo that sees the world differently. Jay Fiester is another example of this. Everyone threw poop at him for the moves he made, yet after he was fired his vision materialized into success. 

He and Jim both have the ability to see character, and that is what sets them apart. 

Not only am I shocked that you believe this, but someone up voted this. 

Thats 2 people who have absolutely no clue. 

Remarkable. 

Kassian is a better player without a doubt.  Obviously he has put himself in a bad situation at this point, but doesn't change the fact that he is the better player.  Your view has changed entirely just because of his situation.

Can't use one thing against someone to change other facts.

Archived