The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] [Discussion] Would you Trade: Virtanen for Hanafin straight up?

I would.

I am well aware this trade will never happen (unless we throw in at least a 2nd).

I am interested in this particular trade right now because, as of now Noah Hanifin has played 8 games. He can go down to the AHL and crack our roster next year. This obviously is more advantageous than sending Virtanen down to junior. 

You have to think a #1 potential defenseman is more valuable than a power forward even one who has an extremely high ceiling.

I feel like this is a pretty straightforward proposition. What I'm interested in, is if Jake's hometown boy status will play a part in how people feel? Are people invested in him as a human being?

The general tone of these boards seems to treat players likes cattle (Ryan Miller) but do people feel differently about Jake? Does his value to the Canucks (and us) have to include his implied popularity if he even becomes just a great top 6 winger?

There's no way they'd be stupid enough to do that, we'd have to give up some sort of defensive depth. With Hamhuis, Edler, Hutton and Sbisa all on the left side already, I think we can throw in Sbisa or someone.

TO CAR: Virtanen + Sbisa + 2nd rounder

TO VAN: Hanifin

Not even sure if that would do it, but obviously I would in a heart-beat. We've got a plethora of good wingers up front but our defence leaves a lot to be desired. Snagging Hanifin would be a HUGE step in giving us a Nashville-like defence. Edler, Hanifin and Hutton all on the left side is a good start. Add a veteran right handed shutdown defenceman or someone like Byfuglien in the off-season and suddenly we've got a good mix of young/old, puck movers and shutdown guys.

Edler - Byfuglien

Hutton - Tanev

Hanifin - Barktowski/UFA

Subban

With Hanafin falling on DD to Carolina, might that make their 2014 D-pick, Fleury(#7 OV), easier to obtain?

No Fleury is having a much better season than last year. They liked him enough to take him 7th, over some very good forwards. They will require an offer that they cannot refuse to move him as they are very much in the rebuild stage.

I highly doubt Carolina gives up Fleury or Hanafin. Both have the potential to be top pairing D, and considering they have Faulk already that gives them a pretty good core down the road, should both Fleury and Hanafin pan out.

Defense has been the weakness of the Hurricanes for years. They are finally getting the situation sorted out by bringing up a solid group of young D:

Hanifin - Fleury
Pesce - McKeown
Slavin - Carrick

I seriously doubt they'd mess with that by trading the #1 stud Hanifin. And as mentioned, Fleury is having a better year this year. So is McKeown, who is a PPG so far. Because of their resurgence though, they may consider flipping one of the depth guys for help somewhere else. And their biggest organizational weakness is RW - they have nothing in the pipeline at that position.

Maybe something could be worked around Nicklas Jensen for one of their depth D-men. Trevor Carrick looks promising.

The OP answered his own question by saying they'd never do it unless we added, which means we'd likely do it because the value is in our favour and we've needed a stud #1 d-man for years. Hanfin can be that guy, as much as Virtanen is a hometown power forward.

So, yes to that trade.

Defense has been the weakness of the Hurricanes for years. They are finally getting the situation sorted out by bringing up a solid group of young D:

Hanifin - Fleury
Pesce - McKeown
Slavin - Carrick

I seriously doubt they'd mess with that by trading the #1 stud Hanifin. And as mentioned, Fleury is having a better year this year. So is McKeown, who is a PPG so far. Because of their resurgence though, they may consider flipping one of the depth guys for help somewhere else. And their biggest organizational weakness is RW - they have nothing in the pipeline at that position.

Maybe something could be worked around Nicklas Jensen for one of their depth D-men. Trevor Carrick looks promising.

Vey for McKeown.

Would we trade someone that has the potential to be a Raffi Torres as much as a Cam neely for a guy who has the potential to be a true #1 defenceman in this league and a possible franchise defining one at that?

Hmmmm :huh:

As much as we need a true #1, we can't risk making the mistake of giving up a potential top line power forward again. Could move anyone but Jake and Bo for a potential top D man. Just not worth the risk for me imo. 

As much as we need a true #1, we can't risk making the mistake of giving up a potential top line power forward again. Could move anyone but Jake and Bo for a potential top D man. Just not worth the risk for me imo. 

If that deal is on the table we take it.  As sad as it would be to trade a local kid with such potential, PWF's are very easily found.  Top pairing potential #1 d men are not.

was faulk in the truck with Kassian or something?

:huh: ???

Seems pretty clear that I was talking about prospect D-men, and not a (young) veteran of over 250 NHL games.

Faulk is faulkin fantastic. Add Hanifin, Fleury, and McKeown to him, and you have a solid foundation.

If that deal is on the table we take it.  As sad as it would be to trade a local kid with such potential, PWF's are very easily found.  Top pairing potential #1 d men are not.

Top 6 PWF are not easily found....

Virtanen's game I like, he hits like a wrecking ball and we know that he has the shot to be a top 6 forward in the league. He'll learn his timing and how to control the puck on the boards and on the rush but I digress, Hanifin would be a great add and almost a lock to be a top 2 defender. 

I'd do the trade but still reluctant because we are looking at potentials and unknowns no matter how you look at it.

Archived