The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City council votes to demolish Vancouver viaducts

Armada

After hearing from 65 speakers over two meetings, Vancouver city councillors have voted to tear down the viaducts connecting downtown to False Creek.

The $300 million project, which was initially estimated at $70 million, will involve demolishing the viaducts that were built in 1972 and replacing them with a new six-lane road configuration that merges Expo and Pacific boulevards.

They will also build 2,500 affordable and market value housing units, a 13-acre expansion of Creekside Park, a bike bridge on Dunsmuir that connects to the escarpment, and a five per cent grade ramp at the end of Georgia Street between Rogers Arena and B.C. Place that leads to Pacific Boulevard.

As well, contaminated soil that still remains in False Creek from the area’s heavily industrial past must be taken care of.

“With the housing crisis that we face, it seems crazy that we would spend tens of millions of dollars to keep an elevated freeway in place on top of acres of city land rather than focus on housing for residents who need it,” Mayor Gregor Robertson said in the council meeting.

“I don’t think we would build anything like the viaducts if we were given that option from scratch today and I think we’re ready to make the change that makes sense for the neighbourhoods.”

Four city councillors voted against the plan to demolish the viaducts for various reasons that were mostly cost-related. Five councillors approved it, while Councillors Reimer and Jang were absent from the meeting.

“Is this the best way to spend $200 to $300 million of people’s money in this city? We don’t really know where this money is coming from,” said City Councillor George Affleck, who voted against the proposal.

More in link below

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/10/vancouver-viaducts-demolition-approved/

A new park will replace them with some new developments.

New road layout:

Screen-Shot-2015-10-27-at-7.05.09-PM.png

Many new parks and green spaces will be added in the Northeast False Creek area, including a 2.7 acre park at the Plaza of Nations site. Nearly 14 acres of park space would also be added in the new Creekside Park Extension, Carrall Street conversion to park, and Dunsmuir elevated park.

Screen-Shot-2015-10-27-at-7.12.26-PM.png

Well, at least the homeless in the DTES will have a place to camp right?

And all of that excess money coming from the toll bridge will pay for some of it knowing that people won't have that easy way into the downtown core.

And looking at that map, there's no question they can fit 4 or 5 condo towers in there too for mayor moonbeam and his developer buddies.

Win win win right?

OK, sorry sarcasm, I don't spend much time in the city any more, unsure how this will play out or affect things but I recall the main issue at the time of building them was how useless the viaducts would be and how they'd eventually be town down at huge cost anyways.  And....

It looks like the park will have a spit going out into the water, that will be cool.  I quite honestly don't really care they are removing the viaduct, it sucks to use anyways and it was created as a highway link to the Trans Canada that never existed, and would be impossible to make now.  I prefer the green space...even if homeless people camp there from time to time, it's a reality we all need to accept in the city. 

Warhippy does have a good point though.  If Gregor lets greasy developers dominate the area with a bunch of towers blocking out the sun (a la Mr. Burns) it will all have been for nothing.  Is this being done for Vancouver? or is it being done to scratch the back of developers?  I hope Gregor knows what he's doing, because he has a history of allowing areas to overdevelop and then not put the required amount of infrastructure around it to accommodate the residents...certainly not near as bad as North Van though, that place is FUBAR, I can't believe the residents haven't revolted against the City and District for their atrocious planning.

I am keeping an open mind.

vancouver-viaducts-park.jpg

Is this it?

I don't mind the direction away from viaducts as they are inherently ugly.  But one has to be marginally concerned about a worsening of traffic.

I feel bad for anyone who considers diving into that water. 

"As well, contaminated soil that still remains in False Creek from the area’s heavily industrial past must be taken care of."

Broken record...just keeps skipping LOL - how many projects have taken place down there the past 30 years or so that were supposed to do something about the contaminated soil?

It looks like the park will have a spit going out into the water, that will be cool.  I quite honestly don't really care they are removing the viaduct, it sucks to use anyways and it was created as a highway link to the Trans Canada that never existed, and would be impossible to make now.  I prefer the green space...even if homeless people camp there from time to time, it's a reality we all need to accept in the city. 

Warhippy does have a good point though.  If Gregor lets greasy developers dominate the area with a bunch of towers blocking out the sun (a la Mr. Burns) it will all have been for nothing.  Is this being done for Vancouver? or is it being done to scratch the back of developers?  I hope Gregor knows what he's doing, because he has a history of allowing areas to overdevelop and then not put the required amount of infrastructure around it to accommodate the residents...certainly not near as bad as North Van though, that place is FUBAR, I can't believe the residents haven't revolted against the City and District for their atrocious planning.

I am keeping an open mind.

I don't think for a moment that towers will NOT be put up there.  It will immediately become some of the most desirable land in the area and a premium will be paid for it.  Of course it will be sold and marketed in asia months before Vancouver as is normal.  There is no possible way that they DON'T put towers there.  Mayor G has a history with some really shady contractors and developers.

I also know that the homeless problem will find suitable camping spots right there as well.  And that $200 million price tag..who pays that?  Not JUST downtown vancouver residents, all of BC will be pulled in to pay for it, much like the convention center and the roof/reno of BC place and we know then as well that the construction won't start until close to the next provincial election which will give the BC libs the perfect opportunity to swoop in like heroes with an already increasing cost of development with major cash injections via...well, the rest of us in the province.

Again, sadly this has happened before.  numerous times.  I just don't see how it won't happen again

“With the housing crisis that we face, it seems crazy that we would spend tens of millions of dollars to keep an elevated freeway in place on top of acres of city land rather than focus on housing for residents who need it,” Mayor Gregor Robertson said in the council meeting.

So I guess that means he wants to build low income housing on prime downtown real estate?

Its too bad they never built the freeway in the first place, yeah it would have been a big ugly concentrated mess of concrete but it would have prevented the situation we have now where you got an entire freeway system's worth of congestion and noise grinding down residential streets.

When and where has this happened before numerous times?

I assume you are asking me that

Convention center.  Overbudget, paid for by all of BC tax payers.

BC Place.  overbudget, all of BC

Bridge cost and tolls

A lot of the things that should be covered via municipal money in Vancouver end up getting covered in part or majority by the entire province.  It's how it's always been

So I guess that means he wants to build low income housing on prime downtown real estate?

Sure..."Low income"  You and I get that my man.  For the betterment of all ;)

I assume you are asking me that

Convention center.  Overbudget, paid for by all of BC tax payers.

BC Place.  overbudget, all of BC

Bridge cost and tolls

A lot of the things that should be covered via municipal money in Vancouver end up getting covered in part or majority by the entire province.  It's how it's always been

Oh not what I thought you were talking about.

Is taking down the viaducts an awesome thing that will have only positive benefits for everyone? Of course not, but it's making the best of what's currently a pretty garbage situation. 

I don't think for a moment that towers will NOT be put up there.  It will immediately become some of the most desirable land in the area and a premium will be paid for it.  Of course it will be sold and marketed in asia months before Vancouver as is normal.  There is no possible way that they DON'T put towers there.  Mayor G has a history with some really shady contractors and developers.

I also know that the homeless problem will find suitable camping spots right there as well.  And that $200 million price tag..who pays that?  Not JUST downtown vancouver residents, all of BC will be pulled in to pay for it, much like the convention center and the roof/reno of BC place and we know then as well that the construction won't start until close to the next provincial election which will give the BC libs the perfect opportunity to swoop in like heroes with an already increasing cost of development with major cash injections via...well, the rest of us in the province.

Again, sadly this has happened before.  numerous times.  I just don't see how it won't happen again

Gregor has already said that he expects to make back the cost of the project by developers investments. I'm sure he even knows which developers already.

Archived