The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ducks close to 'point of no return', Travis Green an option.

Odd.

The Anaheim Ducks will have to win 52 of their remaining 72 regular-season games to come close to the 109 points and Pacific Division title won last season. With every loss, Anaheim, a team favoured by many to win the Stanley Cup, is inching closer to being a non-playoff team.

Unbelievable.

The urgency of the situation isn't lost on Ducks players, coaches or management and was driven home by Thursday’s 2-1 loss to the Blues in St Louis. It was a loss amplified by Tarasenko's tying goal scored on a two-on-oh, followed by Colton Parayko's game winner on a shot from the point that sailed wide of the net before ricocheting off the end boards and into the Ducks net off goalieFrederik Andersen's skate.

The loss in St Louis comes two nights after a meltdown in Dallas, where the Stars scored four unanswered goals in a 4-3 win that left Anaheim demoralized.

Going Green

The list of available, experienced NHL coaches is short. However, with the firing of Todd Richards in Columbus and the ongoing speculation swirling around the Ducks, inevitably there will be additional changes between now and next season.

Utica Comets head coach Travis Green's name continues to pop up as a candidate deemed NHL ready.   

Green coached the Comets to the American Hockey League's Calder Cup final last year before falling to the Manchester Monarchs and another quality NHL coaching prospect, Mike Stothers.

Green played 970 games in the NHL, and was known for his work ethic and tenaciousness as an honest and skilled forward during his time with the Islanders, Ducks, Coyotes, Bruins and Maple Leafs (twice).

After finishing his playing career in 2008, Green joined the WHL's Portland Winterhawks as an assistant coach and assistant GM and worked under now Penguins head coach Mike Johnston for five seasons.

"I went to Portland for a reason. Like playing, I needed to learn the trade and I feel like I gathered 10 years of experience in the five years I was with Mike," Green told the Dreger Report.

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-ducks-inching-closer-to-point-of-no-return-1.385316

Yikes. Hopefully we still have Travis Green but knowing he might be a very good option if Boudreau's fired, this makes me cringe. I really like Green and hopefully he doesn't run away there but I'd be very happy to see him coach an NHL team at the same time. Definitely nice to see that Green is being recognized around the league and Utica as well. 

where's the facepalm emoticon ?

It is 10 games into the season, a lot can and will happen between now and Playoff time lol.

I think the team's best option is Boudreau at this point, Green or another coach would likely cement the " point of no return ". The team will be fine and contend for the Cup this year.

I'm not confident that we would get compensated. I think for minor league coaches it's just a way of honouring their effort. I mean we didn't pay anything for Willie.

Green would be a massive loss, though I knew we couldn't keep him long term. He's a hell of a coach and knows player's minds and development curve better than anyone out there. I was hoping he could finish up with Cassels and Subban before moving on. 

where's the facepalm emoticon ?

It is 10 games into the season, a lot can and will happen between now and Playoff time lol.

I think the team's best option is Boudreau at this point, Green or another coach would likely cement the " point of no return ". The team will be fine and contend for the Cup this year.

Your point is valid...however, there's been historical cases when a coaching change has had an immediate and positive impact on a talented team.  Last I can think of off the top of my head is the firing of Denis Savard and the hiring of Joel Quenneville in Chicago.   Anaheim is probably going to need 90 more points to make the playoffs.

Than means in the remaining 72 games, they are going to have to go 45-27.  With or without Boudreau, that's certainly possible (probable, I'd say).

I recall Green saying he was happy in the Canucks organization.  Some guys like John Stevens in LA don't necessarily want to leave a good situation for a head coaching job in the NHL

Different circumstances.  Stevens is the Associate Coach of the Kings in the NHL and is being groomed/touted to take over from Sutter when the time comes.  Though he's expressed that he's happy with his gig with the Canucks' organization, Green is coaching in the AHL.  Big difference.  Thought that was obvious to everyone.

Archived