The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat or McCann

smokes

After Horvat in 9 games last year and McCann after 9 games so far. Who are you impressed with more?

McCann does not have the defensive capabilities as Horvat but I don't think Horvat has the capabilities offensively as McCann. This makes it a bit of a toss up.

The scary bit for me is not aout the point McCann is putting up or the points Horvat is not putting up but Horvat has the worse +/- on the team. That's supposed to be his speciality

It's halloween.  It's time to be scared.  Though I would say your fears are unfounded and premature.

txt74ip-521x500.jpg

Why not both?

I never asked if we should trade any of them just a simple who was more impressive Horvat after 9 games last year or McCann after 9 games this year. Horat to me was much more sheltered because it was probably penciled in that he would be part of the team. McCann went under the radar and kinda kicked the door down a little bit more and said. "Let me be in the NHL."

The scary bit for me is not aout the point McCann is putting up or the points Horvat is not putting up but Horvat has the worse +/- on the team. That's supposed to be his speciality

No, that's not really his specialty though.  Plus/minus in isolation is a relatively meaningless statistic. 

Bo doesn't really have a specialty imo - it's his all around game that makes him so good.  If he had a specialty I supposed you could say it's his remarkable strength in the faceoff circle for such a young player, but really he's a solid two way center who can play in all situations and has good offensive upside to go with his ability to play a shutdown role.  I suppose you could call versatility his 'specialty' but his plus/minus means very little playing hard minutes with high dzone starts and strong quality of competition - and at times having to carry the most sheltered player on the team on his wing (Baertschi).

They've both been highly impressive in different ways.

What was so impressive about Bo imo was how solid, composed and ready for the NHL game he was in all facets.

McCann has had some defensive lapses and isn't as developed in a complete-player sense, but his explosiveness has been highly impressive - he's very shifty with the puck, has a superb release - has some dynamic skills no coubt. 

The great thing is that the team needed precisely these two types of players (as well as Virtanen - and Boeser, and Gaunce, and Hutton, and Cassells, Shink,  etc lol...)

It's really easy to visualize a phenomenal fwd cast, 3~5 yrs out. Ultimately it seems McC will possibly be top line C, & Bo the shutdown/2nd line C(both guys contributing almost equally). Gaunce & Cassels with the bottom 6.

Interesting question is which wingers will mesh most naturally with each center?

Also which vets will stick around the longest, as they transition to the next generation?

A lot of you completely ignored what the OP said. He was simply asking who was more impressive after their nine game trial. Horvat last year? Or McCann this year? Not which one do you prefer.

For me, I'm way more impressed by what McCann has done. He has been playing with two fourth liners for every game and still manages to pot 5 goals. Considering not many expected him to make the team this year; that is truly impressive. Horvat certainly had a good nine games last year (1G 3A), but he was also expected to be a solid player

I would say Bo is playing much more difficult mins and is ajusting well, I think this is going to be a bit of a slump year for him but only because he's gained the coaches trust and is playing some hard mins.  Next year I bet we see him take what he's learning this year and take it to another level.

McCann is getting sheltered mins and doing great, much like Bo last year.  He's looking like he's going to be great.  

I think the real question is who will be our first line center and who is second after the twins are gone... If we don't pick up another that is. To me I'd bet McCann is our our top guy and Bo plays second taking the harder matchups vs top lines.   

Archived