The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

With the Raptors 5-0 start, I thought this thread would get more attention. Are there not many Raptors fan in Vancouver?

I can theorize that it probably has more to do with the Grizzlies? In any case, what is the state of basketball fandom in Vancouver?

It will probably pick up more late in the season around playoff time. Though in general I don't think CDC has a good NBA fan base. I even recall one member verbally attacking another member for talking about the NBA on a hockey forum xD

Didn't the Raptors start off really well last season though then fall off hard? At this point I just want to see a new team make the finals in the East though. Lebron is talented but it is pretty boring watching him cakewalk through a watered down East before getting a challenge from a Western team. 

I am a 76ers fan though. Mainly just observing the extreme rebuild process through stat checking. Really glad the Lakers stole Russell and let Okafor fall to the Sixers. Next season will probably be really exciting though considering Saric is coming over from Europe, Embiid may finally make his debut, and the Sixers will have 4 1st round picks in this upcoming draft including their own and the Lakers which are likely to be very high picks. 

It will probably pick up more late in the season around playoff time. Though in general I don't think CDC has a good NBA fan base. I even recall one member verbally attacking another member for talking about the NBA on a hockey forum xD

Didn't the Raptors start off really well last season though then fall off hard? At this point I just want to see a new team make the finals in the East though. Lebron is talented but it is pretty boring watching him cakewalk through a watered down East before getting a challenge from a Western team. 

I am a 76ers fan though. Mainly just observing the extreme rebuild process through stat checking. Really glad the Lakers stole Russell and let Okafor fall to the Sixers. Next season will probably be really exciting though considering Saric is coming over from Europe, Embiid may finally make his debut, and the Sixers will have 4 1st round picks in this upcoming draft including their own and the Lakers which are likely to be very high picks. 

The Raptors just feel like a better team this year. They seem more grounded, focused, and balanced.

My hype certainly died down wit the team going into this season, but that's really because of how listless they were in the playoffs, and I didn't want to get excited about a team that at last check didn't seem like they cared enough (And that they were bringing back Dwayne Casey). What I didn't believe was the opposing hype that was trashing the team following their off-season moves. Those people sounded crazy, and it seemed like the media and general atmosphere fed into itself where the Vegas odds for the Raptors to start the year were somehow near equal to the freaking Maple Leafs. The Maple Leafs for &^@#s sake. 75-1 or something along those lines, where the general consensus chucked them into the basement of the NBA.

I think this team will challenge for the division, before being bumped off in the first couple of rounds again, but it's nice to see hustle out there. And a little bit of fundamental play, rather than desperation chucking at non desperate times.

Big GoldenState fan. I just love the way they play up tempo and they're so unpredictable. Curry can catch your oth the three. If steph isn't going Klay and Barnes can provide scoring. Similarly I love watching San Antonio play. The extra pass can be so useful. 

For the raps I hope they have a good season but I still doubt their 4. PatPat isn't good enough imo. 

A lot of rookies have looked pretty good so far. KAT, Okafor, Porzingis, Mudiay all look like future studs... Even guys in smaller roles like Winslow and Stein have done really well in limited roles and the undrafted TJ McConnell is starting to emerge on the radar with the Sixers.

Russell is really the only big name rookie who is taking heat for underachieving but that may be credited to his coach as they are a really mismanaged team right now.