The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 10:29 PM, Van40 said:

What a monster. James Harden has gotten even better. It's even more awesome when you consider how much Harden parties lol. 

Wonder how much Pippen's comments about how to stop him would get into his mind and force him to change?  I mean don't get me wrong, he's still a monster with 35 to 40 points each night but when your bread and butter is matched against the stoutest of defenders each night and maybe even double/triple teams, wonder if the Rockets would have enough fuel with him at 80-85% (still very much elite) but no Capela or Paul for awhile. 

18 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Wonder how much Pippen's comments about how to stop him would get into his mind and force him to change?  I mean don't get me wrong, he's still a monster with 35 to 40 points each night but when your bread and butter is matched against the stoutest of defenders each night and maybe even double/triple teams, wonder if the Rockets would have enough fuel with him at 80-85% (still very much elite) but no Capela or Paul for awhile. 

Pippen's advice isn't doing anything lol. Harden had 61 last night. I definitely see him running out of gas but rn he's on a roll! 

Instead of visiting the White House and it's delicious hamberders...the Dubs decided to visit the Black House:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817550-warriors-visit-barack-obama-during-teams-visit-to-washington-dc

The Golden State Warriors visited former President Barack Obama during their trip to the nation's capital.

Draymond Green posted a picture of the team with Obama, and Logan Murdock of the Mercury News tweeted it:

The Warriors, who were in town to face the Washington Wizards on Thursday, also visited Obama after their 2014-15 championship season.

However, they have not returned to the White House since the beginning of Donald Trump's presidency despite winning the title in 2017 and 2018. They toured the National Museum of African American History and Culture last season, per Connor Letourneau of the San Francisco Chronicle, before the visit with Obama this year.

Warriors are ballin' while Trump is bawlin'...B)

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Instead of visiting the White House and it's delicious hamberders...the Dubs decided to visit the Black House:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817550-warriors-visit-barack-obama-during-teams-visit-to-washington-dc

Warriors are ballin' while Trump is bawlin'...B)

He protec

He attack

And most importantly he serves the Big Mac

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

After months of speculation, Pelicans All-NBA forward Anthony Davis officially wants out of New Orleans, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Agent Rich Paul has notified the team that Davis, who is eligible to sign a $240 supermax offer over the summer with New Orleans, has no intension of signing a contract extension and that he has requested a trade.

Here's more from Wojnarowski:

"Anthony wants to be traded to a team that allows him a chance to win consistently and compete for a championship," Paul told ESPN. "Anthony wanted to be honest and clear with his intentions and that's the reason for informing them of this decision now. That's in the best interests of both Anthony's and the organization's future."

The trade deadline is Feb. 7, and according to Wojnarowski's report, the Pelicans have not expressed any interest in trading him midseason. Davis is eligible to become a free agent in the summer of 2020.

After the Pelicans made the playoffs and swept the Trail Blazers last season, it appeared that they might have the means to entice Davis to stay with a supermax extension offer. However, the Pelicans sit 13th in the Western Conference at 22-28 and earlier in the season Davis bemoaned that he has to "play almost perfect" for them to have a chance to win. 

The Pelicans are 2-7 in games in which Davis hasn't played, and they're 20-21 with him. Although Davis said mere days ago via Shams Charania that he wasn't at the breaking point to request a trade just yet, instead opting to examine career in the offseason, he hasn't played in the last four games. The Pelicans have dropped three straight.

Although the Lakers are 26-24, ninth in the Western Conference, they're the team generating the most talk around a Davis trade. They have a bevy of young assets that they are reportedly willing to part with to acquire a superstar, and LeBron James. Although the Western Conference is as loaded as ever -- making this far from the path of least resistance -- ever since Davis signed with Paul (James' agent), the Lakers have been cited as a potential destination.

If the Pelicans want to bid their time, they can wait until the offseason when the Celtics can trade for Davis. The Celtics have young players like Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, although Brown has been inconsistent this season. The Celtics, however, can't trade for Davis until July 1, as they traded for Irving as a designated player. NBA teams can only have one designated player on their roster who they traded for at a time.

Davis himself is averaging 29.3 points, 13.3 rebounds and his PER is 31 this year -- all above his career averages. Davis has been with the Pelicans since he was drafted No. 1 overall in 2012. Since then, the team's best finish came last year when they lost in five games to the Warriors in the second series of the postseason. 

According to The New York Times' Marc Stein, Davis doesn't have a preferred destination at the moment. However, as Stein notes, with Davis' contract expiring in 2020 he'll have input on where he goes. The team that trades for him must at least believe that they can re-sign with them at the end of this contract, otherwise he may not be worth the king's ransom the Pelicans will command.

Anthony Davis' agent Rich Paul tells @NYTSports he has NOT given the Pelicans a preferred trade destination for Davis. But Davis' July 2020 free agency obviously gives hm huge say in where he lands since no team will surrender meaningful assets for a player it can't re-sign

— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) January 28, 2019

According to Stein, Paul said that the Pelicans "haven't said much, but we wanted to do the right thing to let them know by the deadline so they could do what's best for the organization going forward."

The worst-case scenario for the team trading for Davis would be about a year and a half of the superstar. That means that a team in the playoff picture this year and in good shape for next year would be the most likely to want him, even if there is uncertainty about whether or not he would re-sign. The Pelicans have about a week and a half to make a move, unless they opt to wait for the offseason.

Per Wojnarowski, it's expected that nearly every team in the NBA will try to make a move for Davis. The Celtics could even agree to a deal in principle, but it couldn't be completed until July 1. The Lakers and Celtics will likely engage in the most fierce battle for Davis. The 25-year-old Davis is still missing time for a fracture in his finger -- he's expected to miss another week or two -- but teams looking to make a run this year will assume the risk.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/15/2018 at 11:21 PM, Toews said:

I still don't see a championship in this squad's future. Maybe if LeBron can recruit that second superstar but I think it will be difficult. In many ways KD is right, its hard for the egos of superstars to deal with all the media fluffing that LeBron gets. AD? KD? Kawhi? More like Kemba or Bradley Beal.

Looks like Anthony Davis wants to play in that "toxic environment", KD alluded to.  

I wonder what the narrative is when Kyrie/Kawhi sign on to play with Lebron and LA completes the transaction for Davis #Magic

On 11/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, ReggieBush said:

I don't get people who think Zion should be the #1 pick. He is a freak, but so raw its not even funny. RJ is by far the more polished and better player imo. 

Was going through old posts and um :picard::picard::picard:

Take back!?

1 hour ago, Van40 said:

Was going through old posts and um :picard::picard::picard:

Take back!?

No. Why? The issues I had with Zion still stand.

He can't shoot. Coach Kay doesn't trust him too and the numbers don't lie.

He is not a good post player. His post game for a college player is average at best.

He doesn't have a position. Too small to play C in the NBA.

I never said he wasn't an athletic freak, I just said he wasn't a polished basketball player. Taking a guy who isn't polished at 1 is a big risk.

RJ is a mix of TMac and Melo.

44 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

No. Why? The issues I had with Zion still stand.

He can't shoot. Coach Kay doesn't trust him too and the numbers don't lie.

He is not a good post player. His post game for a college player is average at best.

He doesn't have a position. Too small to play C in the NBA.

I never said he wasn't an athletic freak, I just said he wasn't a polished basketball player. Taking a guy who isn't polished at 1 is a big risk.

RJ is a mix of TMac and Melo.

Zion is the undisputed #1. No question about it. He's shooting something like 70% from the field now. His 3pt was at 27% vs RJ at 31% coming into tonight's game. 

RJ Barrett who I love and support isn't even top 3 in this draft. RJ is more skilled than Zion but he doesn't have the intangibles like Zion does. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Zion is the undisputed #1. No question about it. He's shooting something like 70% from the field now. His 3pt was at 27% vs RJ at 31% coming into tonight's game. 

RJ Barrett who I love and support isn't even top 3 in this draft. RJ is more skilled than Zion but he doesn't have the intangibles like Zion does. 

I think RJ still goes 2nd or 3rd this draft.

2 hours ago, Van40 said:

I would like to know the Dunk to points ratio that Zion has. Like just watch him play most of his points are on the fast break. His post game is not at an NBA level thats not even disputable. 

Shooting wise, look at the volume. He is averaging less than 1 make per game. RJ puts up 6 threes a game. 

He doesn't have a position in the NBA. Not big enough to play the 5 (7 footers would eat him up). Not a good enough perimeter defender or shooter to play the 3. Playing the 4 (in the modern game) is really where all of his weaknesses will come out.

Zion is a freak athlete, but I think we are forgetting just how freaky an athlete RJ is too. RJ is as explosive a wing as you are going to find.

52 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I would like to know the Dunk to points ratio that Zion has. Like just watch him play most of his points are on the fast break. His post game is not at an NBA level thats not even disputable. 

Shooting wise, look at the volume. He is averaging less than 1 make per game. RJ puts up 6 threes a game. 

He doesn't have a position in the NBA. Not big enough to play the 5 (7 footers would eat him up). Not a good enough perimeter defender or shooter to play the 3. Playing the 4 (in the modern game) is really where all of his weaknesses will come out.

Zion is a freak athlete, but I think we are forgetting just how freaky an athlete RJ is too. RJ is as explosive a wing as you are going to find.

And..look at Ben Simmons

RJ is a stud, but goes after Zion in the draft.

Edited by J-23

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

This is crazy talk. It's not even debatable. Everyone has Zion #1.

Anyway, points are points. If he scores 30 a night in the fastbreak then so be it. His shooting is not great but his mechanics suggest he'll be fine. 

Positionless basketball is what all nba teams are striving for. Zion is exactly what teams want. 

Think about the best types of glue guys and undersized talents who don't fit traditional height/weight pre-reqs in the league. Draymond Green, PJ Tucker, Marcus Smart, Jerami Grant, and Robert Covington. 4 of them play on top tier playoff teams. Zion is combined the best version them with a godly 44 inch vertical. 

RJ is pretty good, Zion is great. Not much more of a discussion. Zion is the best prospect since Lebron imo. 

About his defense btw...

7 hours ago, J-23 said:

And..look at Ben Simmons

RJ is a stud, but goes after Zion in the draft.

@J-23 I don't get the comparison. Simmons is a Point guard and an elite creator, the primary ball handler for every team he has been on. He makes up for his inability to shoot with an elite offensive trait. What elite offensive trait does Zion have?

4 hours ago, Van40 said:

This is crazy talk. It's not even debatable. Everyone has Zion #1.

Anyway, points are points. If he scores 30 a night in the fastbreak then so be it. His shooting is not great but his mechanics suggest he'll be fine. 

Positionless basketball is what all nba teams are striving for. Zion is exactly what teams want. 

Think about the best types of glue guys and undersized talents who don't fit traditional height/weight pre-reqs in the league. Draymond Green, PJ Tucker, Marcus Smart, Jerami Grant, and Robert Covington. 4 of them play on top tier playoff teams. Zion is combined the best version them with a godly 44 inch vertical. 

RJ is pretty good, Zion is great. Not much more of a discussion. Zion is the best prospect since Lebron imo. 

About his defense btw...

So what I am understanding is that that you plan on taking a guy who has a very limited offensive arsenal, but offers great physical intangibles which leads to great defense in the college game as the first overall pick over the best wing prospect since Kevin Durant? Its great you posted that video of Zion defending against 2 guards on 11-10 Notre Dame team with no NBA talent. 

You are going to draft a player who can't hit you that big shot late in a game, over several (RJ, Ja Morant, Rui Hachimura) who can? 

Zion is really, really good, and can be an allstar, maybe even a HOFer in the NBA. But he is not the guy that you build a franchise around. He just doesn't have the skills necessary to do it.

He could go 1, but it would be to a team that already has that bona-fide guy.

RJ is a better off the dribble, better shooter, better creator, better perimeter defender. Zion has the athletic edge and is a better inside defender ainec. He could develop into a better offensive player, but that is a big, big ask.