The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

8 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

From his Wiki page 

Bennett's love for the game was questioned during his tenure in Toronto, and the organization grew increasingly frustrated with his inability to grasp the cut-throat world of the NBA despite their attempts to work with him.[36]

Always knew he was a laid back guy. Didn't think it was laziness or lack of drive,passion, or intensity.

Many guy are chill outside the game but turn it on when they have to perform.

Guess he really just was a guy blessed with top tier athleticism and he used that in college and all the way before that to gain the upper hand.

Now in the NBA he is an average athlete when compared to the guys in the NBA and his natural athletic talent advantage is gone and he has seemingly not worked hard enough to improve each year while others have passed him by.

Too bad. On the brightside since his NBA career looks dead Canada should have a #1 pick to help them qualify next time again whether or not Andrew Wiggins decides to play.

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Always knew he was a laid back guy. Didn't think it was laziness or lack of drive,passion, or intensity.

Many guy are chill outside the game but turn it on when they have to perform.

Guess he really just was a guy blessed with top tier athleticism and he used that in college and all the way before that to gain the upper hand.

Now in the NBA he is an average athlete when compared to the guys in the NBA and his natural athletic talent advantage is gone and he has seemingly not worked hard enough to improve each year while others have passed him by.

Too bad. On the brightside since his NBA career looks dead Canada should have a #1 pick to help them qualify next time again whether or not Andrew Wiggins decides to play.

You'd think Cleveland would want to figure that sort of stuff out before using a first overall pick on the guy though. I can't recall a first overall pick falling out as fast and hard as he did- maybe in any sport.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

You'd think Cleveland would want to figure that sort of stuff out before using a first overall pick on the guy though. I can't recall a first overall pick falling out as fast and hard as he did- maybe in any sport.

Greg Oden

21 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Wasn't his mostly due to injury though? I was pretty young but I remember him being fairly effective the odd time he was healthy-ish at the start of his career.

Oden was the biggest NBA prospect since LeBron James. Some even thought better. But yes injury ruined is career. 

As far as Bennett goes tough as bad as he was that was an extremely weak draft class. Not a single all star or even all NBA team player in that draft class so far. Gobert taken late is likely the best player in that class followed by the Greek Freak and possibly Nerlens Noel at 3rd. Noel was the highest rated prospect in that class and only fell because he was injured and set to miss his first year but even he wasn't a great prospect compared to other classes ranks

1 hour ago, Baka said:

Oden was the biggest NBA prospect since LeBron James. Some even thought better. But yes injury ruined is career. 

As far as Bennett goes tough as bad as he was that was an extremely weak draft class. Not a single all star or even all NBA team player in that draft class so far. Gobert taken late is likely the best player in that class followed by the Greek Freak and possibly Nerlens Noel at 3rd. Noel was the highest rated prospect in that class and only fell because he was injured and set to miss his first year but even he wasn't a great prospect compared to other classes ranks

I remember that about Oden. He was on the cover of SLAM magazine in high school and they raved about him. They called him "the last great back-to-the-basket big man".

i didn't know that about the draft class, hadn't looked at it really. The nba is kind of weird with what seems to be a high prevalence of high picks that bust. What about Steven Adams or Oladipo? Even Olynyk? Those are decent players.

I see Bennett has some interest from the Nets too.

24 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I remember that about Oden. He was on the cover of SLAM magazine in high school and they raved about him. They called him "the last great back-to-the-basket big man".

i didn't know that about the draft class, hadn't looked at it really. The nba is kind of weird with what seems to be a high prevalence of high picks that bust. What about Steven Adams or Oladipo? Even Olynyk? Those are decent players.

I see Bennett has some interest from the Nets too.

Well the NBA is a more condensed. Smaller teams and only 2 rounds in the draft plus starters get more court time (usually about 36 minutes). 1st round picks are more disposable. Philadelphia during the tanking years literally made trades where they took 1st round picks (and sometimes 2nd round) from other teams just to buyout players for other teams. The Kings sent Stauskas (8th overall pick from the year before) along with a 2018 1st round pick, and the right to swap 1st round picks in 2016 and 2017 to Philadelphia so they would take the contracts of Jason Thompson and Carl Landry. Philly sent back 2 players who were overseas and likely won't ever play in the NBA. Kinda crazy.

Like all drafts it produced a good players it's just considered a weak draft by comparison. The year before produced players like Anthony Davis, Damian Lilliard, Draymond Green, Andre Drummond, and Bradley Beal. Though the year after that is hard to judge yet outside of them being younger a lot of that class had injury issues. Parker had the torn ACL, Embiid hasn't played yet, Saric was overseas for 2 years, Randle missed a season.

TBH that doesn't surprise me the Nets are desperate now. They have no high end prospects and can't sign any big free agents and worst of all they traded their 1st round picks for the next two years away so the Celtics are taking their high draft picks hence the #3 this past draft and maybe even the top pick next year given how bad they look again xD

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Tim Duncan retires after 19 seasons. A superstar who put the team before himself and was all class on and off the court.

Great career, TD.

Fitting this is how he retired (no real farewell tour or anything)..

On 7/12/2016 at 5:23 AM, HawksFan94 said:

Fitting this is how he retired (no real farewell tour or anything)..

Farewell tours are the dumbest things I have ever seen. Watching a team give up on a season to let an over the hill player play like trash while being showered in expensive gifts from millionaire/billionaires. Half of them arent even good gifts like when Jeter got that ugly ass kayak he will never use or Kobe getting a car that will sit in his garage as a collectible. 

It is nice to have someone retire modestly and not have a kiss my feet because I played a sport tour.

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2016 at 11:42 AM, Baka said:

Farewell tours are the dumbest things I have ever seen. Watching a team give up on a season to let an over the hill player play like trash while being showered in expensive gifts from millionaire/billionaires. Half of them arent even good gifts like when Jeter got that ugly ass kayak he will never use or Kobe getting a car that will sit in his garage as a collectible. 

It is nice to have someone retire modestly and not have a kiss my feet because I played a sport tour.

I think Big Papi Chulo is getting the same treatment as Jeter. He at the very least said he didn't want the attention and have to go to each visiting ball park and make a big deal of his last time there forever.

On 7/15/2016 at 6:17 AM, Chip Kelly said:

I think Big Papi Chulo is getting the same treatment as Jeter. He at the very least said he didn't want the attention and have to go to each visiting ball park and make a big deal of his last time there forever.

Did the Rays give him anything yet?

jeterkayakimg0092-copy*1200xx4000-2250-0

You know like a Kayak plus $50 for every hit he had against them over the many years of beating down their terrible team?

• Upvote 1

Looks like North Carolina's anti-gay laws are going to cost them the All-Star game. (as they should) From CBS News:

Five months after outlawing anti-discrimination protections for lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people, North Carolina is feeling the repercussions of the controversial move.

In March, the National Basketball Association said it didn't yet know how the state law would affect its plan to hold the league's annual All-Star Game in Charlotte, North Carolina, in 2017. But league sources are now telling Yahoo site The Vertical that the NBA is pulling the game from Charlotte and may move it to New Orleans.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver did issue an unheeded warning ahead of the NBA finals, telling reporters: "There are other fundamental issues that I think if we can work through with the community to ensure those basic protections are given to the LGBT community. I think if we can make progress there, we will see you all in Charlotte next February."

North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory, who quickly signed the measure into law after the state's Republican-controlled legislature approved it, did not immediately return requests for comment on the report, nor did the NBA.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Love that Russel Westbrook resigned.

I just Gained alot of liking and respect for him

OKC will survive the day KD bailed

Have a feeling OKC will push hard for a guy like Griffin now.