The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Nikita Zaitsev

We have the Russian Wood-block (Tryamkin - Tryam), the Russian Bug (Zhukenov, Zhuk) and imagine if we get a Russian Rabbit (Zaitsev - Zayets). I love the Russian language <3
The said, I've watched this guy a bit, and although he was quite disappointing during the games I did watch (primarily the Gagarin cup last year) his name was called out damn often.  It would be interesting to have Tryamkin play with Zaitsev :D

Note: I may be wrong with Tryam

Does that mean if he is eligible to sign March 1, and he can sign a 1 year ELC, it would encompass the balance of this 2015/16 season?

Its important I think. Because your first ELC contract has to be two way and it would expire at the end of the (this) season with the signing team retaining his RFA rights?  The team could then offer him a guaranteed 1 way pact for the 2016/17 season...

A big reason many don't jump from the KHL is because they give up a guaranteed $500K or million dollar deal in Russia for a deal that might pay them $75K if they get stuck in the minors. AKA Shirikov.

Plus the whole language, country, and family aspect. 

We often talk about how Player X wants to play in Vancouver or Canada because they're from here or nearby.  The same goes for European players.  I mean, most Russian players probably want to play for their own hometown teams growing up, living without having to endure the trouble of learning another language and wanting to remain close to their family and friends. 

Plus the whole language, country, and family aspect. 

We often talk about how Player X wants to play in Vancouver or Canada because they're from here or nearby.  The same goes for European players.  I mean, most Russian players probably want to play for their own hometown teams growing up, living without having to endure the trouble of learning another language and wanting to remain close to their family and friends. 

The point was if they (we?) could sign him after the KHL shuts down March 1st > in time for our play off run? It would cover his first year ELC deal which has to be two way. With that done, we could also offer a guaranteed 1 way deal next year?

Plus I have read this guy has learned English and wants to come...

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/10/31/report-canucks-among-several-nhl-teams-set-to-scout-khl-free-agent-nikita-zaitsev-this-week

Big RHS at the cost of zero assets would be nice.

Won't be getting my hopes up after the Matt O'Connor sweepstakes and a few others we missed out on.

I like the level playing field tho. We dont have to throw $55 mil to perk his ears. Simply a matter of which team is going to offer him to most ice-time and opportunities.

Regardless....this would be a blessing

Which interested teams are in America and with the most Russians?

That is the team he signs with.

We don't really have any Russians to tempt him over, but hopefully our lack of right handed depth will help. If he comes here he'll pretty much be guaranteed 20 minutes on the blueline with a top partner like Hamhuis or even Hutton. Right now our 2nd best purely right handed defenceman is Weber, then Biega.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Zaitsev

Hutton - Sbisa

Weber

Bartkowski

Suddenly not so bad.

We don't really have any Russians to tempt him over, but hopefully our lack of right handed depth will help. If he comes here he'll pretty much be guaranteed 20 minutes on the blueline with a top partner like Hamhuis or even Hutton. Right now our 2nd best purely right handed defenceman is Weber, then Biega.

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Zaitsev

Hutton - Sbisa

Weber

Bartkowski

Suddenly not so bad.

Assume much?...

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Zaitsev

Hutton - Sbisa

Weber

Bartkowski

Suddenly not so bad.

still pretty bad

Apparently Toronto is in the running for him as well as Vancouver.

Toronto can go suck a lemon. They're always reported to be in on everything. After taking Corrado then not playing him at all, I don't think adding another defensemen will sit well with anyone. 

Archived