The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen and McCann officially make the team

hatedkid666

LOVE how they did this.  Love it. 

It gives them a subtle reminder how fine that line is and to work hard.  That it isn't "a given" and what a great way to say welcome...to have them worry then have a great relief and joy.

Burr giving them the gears...wouldn't have it any other way....

Is this for real?  If so that's pretty awesome that McCann is staying.  

I thought Virtanen should maybe get sent down, since power forwards often take longer to develop.  I guess they didn't want to risk the Calgary Hitmen not trading him, since their team isn't looking competitive.  You don't want Virtanen going down to a losing team in junior hockey.

As an aside I hate this stupid CHL-NHL transfer system.  I understand that CHL teams need their 'star' players to generate revenue, but it could be clawed back by a year.  That transfer agreement should only apply to players in the year immediately following their first eligible draft year.  In this sense players from the 2014 draft (Virtanen) would be AHL eligible this year, but not last year.

Hell yeah! The young guys are saving this season. Going into this season, I had a feeling that they were going to force virtanen onto the team whether he deserved it or not, but I am so happy that McCann is staying. The kid is the real deal and then there is hutton beasting like brad doty 2.0. We may not be the best team, but I'm really enjoying the team this season. 

LOVE how they did this.  Love it. 

Hate to rain on the parade, but can the coach bashers and other haters now please sit down and be quiet.

I think it is fair to bash WD. Even last season he didn't want horvat on the team. It was quite clear that JB and Linden made sure he was on the team. 

I think it is fair to bash WD. Even last season he didn't want horvat on the team. It was quite clear that JB and Linden made sure he was on the team. 

Actually had decided to remove that portion of my post because this is nothing but good news...no reason to go there.

But if you don't think the coach has a great deal of influence in these decisions, I'd guess you're wrong. 

It's a tough gig, to break in the new kids and it can go terribly wrong if rushed.  One of my favourites, Gilbert Brule, was likely a product of this mistake or how not to do it.  So coaches who pace things and try to also protect the players are ok in my books...it can make or break them and it requires some great assessments and mentoring.

With that, these guys earned this.  They have proven they're "ready" and the league is trending that way...towards allowing youth to take over and show their stuff.  Love it - exciting hockey as a result.

Actually had decided to remove that portion of my post because this is nothing but good news...no reason to go there.

But if you don't think the coach has a great deal of influence in these decisions, I'd guess you're wrong. 

I definitely think he has a big input on who stays and goes, but it was quite clear he didn't want horvat on the team and he ended up staying in spit of WD. It is quite obvious that WD was overruled last season and with the way he was talking about McCann I could definitely see this happening again. 

I'm not really sure how I'm going to hide my boner all day now and I've got errands to do...

No trenchcoat - stick a Canuck flag on it and strut around with pride!  Awesome day for the boys - Congrats to Jake & Jared!  

Is this for real?  If so that's pretty awesome that McCann is staying.  

I thought Virtanen should maybe get sent down, since power forwards often take longer to develop.  I guess they didn't want to risk the Calgary Hitmen not trading him, since their team isn't looking competitive.  You don't want Virtanen going down to a losing team in junior hockey.

As an aside I hate this stupid CHL-NHL transfer system.  I understand that CHL teams need their 'star' players to generate revenue, but it could be clawed back by a year.  That transfer agreement should only apply to players in the year immediately following their first eligible draft year.  In this sense players from the 2014 draft (Virtanen) would be AHL eligible this year, but not last year.

The knock on most power guys at this level, the reason for their longer development time, is a lack of speed. which means they can't project their game to the NHL level.

With Jake that's not a problem.  He leads the team in hits.

Over time he'll start collecting more points as his endurance improves and he starts getting power play time.  It might take a season or three, but that marvelous physical game at age 19 is drool-worthy.  Rare prospect.

It's a tough gig, to break in the new kids and it can go terribly wrong if rushed.  One of my favourites, Gilbert Brule, was likely a product of this mistake or how not to do it.  So coaches who pace things and try to also protect the players are ok in my books...it can make or break them and it requires some great assessments and mentoring.

With that, these guys earned this.  They have proven they're "ready" and the league is trending that way...towards allowing youth to take over and show their stuff.  Love it - exciting hockey as a result.

The problem with Brule, apart from a cracked sturnum and broken leg in the first half of his rookie season with CBJ, is that he landed with a team/coach that stuck fervently to a defensive system above all else. Brule was never that player; it's not what made him a bluechip prospect. They wouldn't let him play his game at all, and he never saw PP time. By comparison, these 2 are being encouraged to do what they do best. They are not being limited in that regard.

Archived