The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Snubbed in HF Prospect Rankings

JamesB

Hockey's Future has finally come out with its 2015-16 Prospect Rankings. Not surprisingly, they have McDavid and Eichel at 1 and 2, along with Sam Bennett at 3, and Reinhart drops to #4.

Ehlers is now at #6 and Nylander is #8.

Only one Canuck makes it into the top 50 and that is Jake Virtanen, who drops all the way down to #44.

I assume Ben Hutton is too old to be included, but it is striking that neither McCann nor Boeser is in the top 50. And neither is Demko. McCann, especially, looks much better than a lot of players in the top 50.

Of course with 30 NHL teams the "fair share" of each team is only about 2 players, but I still think the Canucks are under-represented.

We can all criticize HF as not being well informed about the Canucks. But it is disappointing the Virtanen has not done more relative to the forwards  taken right after him in the draft (Ehlers and Nylander)

Congrats to Jake on making the team, by the way. There is no doubt he can play in the NHL as a bottom 6 banger. But you hope that a #6 overall pick turns into a quality top 6 forward with significant offensive contributions -- like Ehlers is already doing. I hope that we begin to see  that from Jake this year.

But I don't see how HF ignored McCann. His scoring so far this year is a surprise but should have been taken into account, and he had a great year in the OHL last year despite being sick with mono at the start of the year.

Hockey's Future has finally come out with its 2015-16 Prospect Rankings. Not surprisingly, they have McDavid and Eichel at 1 and 2, along with Sam Bennett at 3, and Reinhart drops to #4.

Ehlers is now at #6 and Nylander is #8.

Only one Canuck makes it into the top 50 and that is Jake Virtanen, who drops all the way down to #44.

I assume Ben Hutton is too old to be included, but it is striking that neither McCann nor Boeser is in the top 50. And neither is Demko. McCann, especially, looks much better than a lot of players in the top 50.

Of course with 30 NHL teams the "fair share" of each team is only about 2 players, but I still think the Canucks are under-represented.

We can all criticize HF as not being well informed about the Canucks. But it is disappointing the Virtanen has not done more relative to the forwards  taken right after him in the draft (Ehlers and Nylander)

Congrats to Jake on making the team, by the way. There is no doubt he can play in the NHL as a bottom 6 banger. But you hope that a #6 overall pick turns into a quality top 6 forward with significant offensive contributions -- like Ehlers is already doing. I hope that we begin to see  that from Jake this year.

But I don't see how HF ignored McCann. His scoring so far this year is a surprise but should have been taken into account, and he had a great year in the OHL last year despite being sick with mono at the start of the year.

HF is a joke.  Just ignore it.  

HF's group of 'experts' are decidedly anti-Canucks.  Even the supposed pro-Canucks ones get really butthurt when things don't happen how they have 'expertly' predicted.

This is done partly for entertainment purposes.  A part of Canucks Sports and Entertainment package is the bickering over prospect and draft assessment.  A lot of people seem to focus on nothing but, and it waters-down the entertainment aspect, but after awhile ego comes into effect.

All the while the Canucks will go about their business the right way.

These rankings are nothing more than a way to cheer up fans of crappy teams.

They can hype these prospects all they want. If they don't make the NHL, it doesn't really matter how much potential or skill they have.

not everyone are given the same opportunities Jake Virtanen had, not even our past 1st round picks. I'm guessing you did not like that he was ranked lower, but I'm not really surprised as it is based on scoring stats.

not everyone are given the same opportunities Jake Virtanen had, not even our past 1st round picks. I'm guessing you did not like that he was ranked lower, but I'm not really surprised as it is based on scoring stats.

Actually I don't mind where Virtanen is ranked. His lack of offensive output means he's never going to be high up on many lists.

My problem is more with the players who were left out. McCann, Demko, and Boeser.

I'm sure McCann will rise in due time, 10 games is a small sample size and he had by his standards a poor year last year.

81 points in 56 games is a poor year?

He was top 15 in OHL scoring despite playing 10 less games than most players ahead of him. I would say he had a pretty good year.

Archived