The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TRADE TIME?

This being a great situation to be in now with our young guys committed & coming along strongly. (Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, & Gaunce, etc.)  And with the returns of Higgins & Prust, It is time for someone to move along either via trade(Higgins) or waivers (Sven) soon.

Those are the only 2 I see at this time. There's only so many spots & that's what I see the most logic. 

Someone has to go eventually, Who's it gonna be???

CDC never fails to make me exhale loudly out of my nostrils.

Come on people, we're 11 games into an 82 game season. Not to mention it's basically the first stretch of Benning's bigger changes. Give it some time.

CDC never fails to make me exhale loudly out of my nostrils.

Come on people, we're 11 games into an 82 game season. Not to mention it's basically the first stretch of Benning's bigger changes. Give it some time.

So...by time, you mean Tuesday right?  That should be plenty of time.  Definitely Tuesday.

Just in case I'm going to constantly be on twitter so I can hear the trade announcements first.

If another team were to become decimated with injuries, at a position where we have a surplus, (so that you can extract good value), you'd have to assume JB would listen.

If most of our youth continues to impress, it's no crime to imagine this situation developing.

Right now it's too early, especially with Kenins & Prust banged up.

I think you're right. Look at our depth at wing and center now:

Center:

Henrik

Sutter

Horvat

McCann

Vey

Cassels

Not great, I'd say just the right amount and perfect mix of size, skill, veterans and youth at the moment. Wouldn't touch our centers this year.

Now look at our wingers (in the order I think our coaches think they're in):

Daniel, Vbrata, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Dorsett, Prust, Virtanen, Gaunce, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Grenier

Shinkaruk and Jensen, our former 1st round picks and 1st liners in the AHL, are our 11th and 12th wingers on the depth chart. Sure, veterans will leave the team next year and open up spots for them, but right now they would need 3 or 4 injuries at forward at the same time to make the NHL. Not likely this year.

Now lets look at our pathetic defensive depth:

Edler

Tanev

Hamhuis

Hutton

Weber

Sbisa

Bartkowski

Biega

Subban

Obviously Subban is looking great so far and I could see him in the NHL in a couple of seasons time, but I couldn't say the same for Biega/Fedun/anyone else in Utica at the moment. Hamhuis is bound to leave this off-season/be traded (or hopefully re-sign for dirt cheap) and quite frankly after the top pairing we don't have much apart from Hutton. Our bottom-3 suck, and that's when they're healthy. Defence remains to be our biggest weakness.

It would make sense, especially with us opting to keep Virtanen and McCann all season long, to make a trade with one of our many wingers for a team with a plethora of solid young defencemen. There are a lot out there.

When everyones healthy are we going to have 2 forwards in the press box every night?

For a little while yeah, you never know when the next injury will hit.

Why should Gaunce go down if he deserves to be here? I thought JB said he'll make room for the young if they prove to be NHL worthy.

Takes a few more than 2 solid games, Gaunce is getting there though.  But right now is not the time to trade a vet if you want to get good return.  Across the league interest in players like Higgins or Hansen is super low right now.

If another team were to become decimated with injuries, at a position where we have a surplus, (so that you can extract good value), you'd have to assume JB would listen.

If most of our youth continues to impress, it's no crime to imagine this situation developing.

Right now it's too early, especially with Kenins & Prust banged up.

Well this is what I was saying. We are in a great position to have an abundance of NHL ready players. I was thinking most would want to move a vet for another prospect.

I also think Gaunce Kennins, & the 2 extras in the press box can chip in & fill higgins role? But I do agree there aint no good value in Higgins at this time. Trade deadline makes more sense.

For a little while yeah, you never know when the next injury will hit.

Takes a few more than 2 solid games, Gaunce is getting there though.  But right now is not the time to trade a vet if you want to get good return.  Across the league interest in players like Higgins or Hansen is super low right now.

Yes it took Virtanen 8 & McCann 9. But Gaunce might just be ready NOW too? You don't know unless we give him that chance.

Archived