The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mayor Says New Study that shows Vancouver Housing Market Fuelled by Chinese Buyers is Racist

DonLever

Let's face it, the Chinese in Vancouver aren't just another ethnic group.

Because of their numbers and political influence they've received unfair special treatment of all kinds for decades now, and the minute someone calls attention to that fact they're accused of being racist.

I don't think it's fair to group all Chinese into one group for this purpose. There are plenty of Chinese people who are equally feeling the pressure from the real estate price hikes. Even among foreign investors, these uber-rich money launderers represent a minority.

Canada needs to put tax schemes in place that are blind of ethnicity. We need to put the basic interests of Canadian citizens above profiteering by non-residents.

Let's face it, the Chinese in Vancouver aren't just another ethnic group.

Because of their numbers and political influence they've received unfair special treatment of all kinds for decades now, and the minute someone calls attention to that fact they're accused of being racist.

Well, that was certainly not in the case when Chinese first came to Canada in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  They were horribly discriminated with the Head Tax and race riots.  Up until the 1940's, the Chinese would not allowed into the professions like doctors, dentistry,  and law. 

As for being accusation of racism, it is not the Chinese who call the study racist.  It is the Mayor of Vancouver.

The Chinese community is not monolithic; some came early, they are 4th and 5th generation and some just came recently.  Most people in the Chinese community are just as upset with recent Chinese driving up the prices of houses.   I would say everyone in the Chinese community know it is the Mainland Chinese buying up all the homes on the west side.  They don't need any study to confirm this.

Well, that was certainly not in the case when Chinese first came to Canada in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  They were horribly discriminated with the Head Tax and race riots.  Up until the 1940's, the Chinese would not allowed into the professions like doctors, dentistry,  and law. 

As for being accusation of racism, it is not the Chinese who call the study racist.  It is the Mayor of Vancouver.

The Chinese community is not monolithic; some came early, they are 4th and 5th generation and some just came recently.  Most people in the Chinese community are just as upset with recent Chinese driving up the prices of houses.   I would say everyone in the Chinese community know it is the Mainland Chinese buying up all the homes on the west side.  They don't need any study to confirm this.

Agreed, plenty of racism and xenophobia against much of Canadian Chinese immigrants and workers in Canadian history.  All those railroad projects, gold rush etc.  The difference is that now they have money and power.

I couldn't careless, except the government needs to make sure appropriate income taxes are collected if the buyers are new immigrants.  As for truly foreign buyers (non immigrants inventors), that's a different story.

it comes and goes.  back in the 80s Japanese were buying everything in US.  factory works were protesting by burning Hondas.  now look at Japan. 

I hate to sound off like a conspiracy theorist, but I do remember CSIS mentioning how the Chinese government has been infiltrating and heavily influencing politicians across Canada.... just saying....

I'm aware of the history, but when's the last time the Chinese were really discriminated against as a group, the '70s?

From what I've seen in my lifetime, and I'm probably older than most here, is that everyone else in Vancouver is expected to walk on eggshells when it comes to Asians, whether its at school, on the job or whatever.

On the other hand, I've seen all kinds of disciminatory and disrespectful behavior from Asian immigrants, its like we're a colony.

I'm aware of the history, but when's the last time the Chinese were really discriminated against as a group, the '70s?

From what I've seen in my lifetime, and I'm probably older than most here, is that everyone else in Vancouver is expected to walk on eggshells when it comes to Asians, whether its at school, on the job or whatever.

On the other hand, I've seen all kinds of disciminatory and disrespectful behavior from Asian immigrants, its like we're a colony.

hahaha

The method of looking at the names of the owners has been passed through numerous ethical hoops created by various university's research ethics boards. Its the idea that approaching each person for an interview is expensive and time-consuming, and so a practical but less than ideal approach is used. The study's procedures are not a result of the perpetuation of a stereotype but of the limits of large scale research in the social sciences.

I think the danger with lies not in the study itself, but how the study will be interpreted and discussed among the general public. The methods have been made well known, I'm sure it was intended to be taken with a grain of salt.  The problem is that people will undoubtedly take this study as the gospel or focus a little too hard on the fact that they are Chinese.  For example in the National Post I saw the headline "In a six-month period, 70% of detached homes sold in Vancouver's west side went to Mainland China buyers" and said the study was based on "comprehensive data".  Well we know that's not the case.  Other headlines are choosing to focus heavily on the ethnicity of the buyers rather than their income or occupation, which would be more directly tied to foreign investment.

I think it's obvious that foreign investment is making things difficult for locals, and much of that investment is coming from mainland China.  But it's important that care is taken in the debate, otherwise the tone very easily becomes "god damn orientals stealing our homes".  Racists will use legitimate issues as an opportunity to lump all people of an ethnicity into one group and subtly express their own xenophobia.

Pretty good read. 

It's true that everyone needs to take a step back before immediately claiming massive amount of properties are taken over by Mainlanders.  There is probably a relative huge influx of foreign money entering the market, like the example I mentioned previously.  That action in itself isn't causing prices to skyrocket, but it pushes the market ever so higher up. 

Luxury homes are sold at a premium, so the next tier of houses are sold also at a premium, until it trickles down to places normally for the realm of the "prolatariats".  Heck, my parents' home nearby a skytrain station in East Van has been assessed to about $1.3 million... and it's a 80's Vancouver Special, lol.

At for the "new study", having a foreign-sounding name may mean you're from overseas, but not necessarily FOB.  If I (very) hypothetically purchased a home at the Westside, I have a Chinese surname and might be included in the study as a "foreign buyer", even though I'm born and raised here.  At the same time, there are many "domestic" buyers who have minimal affiliation with Canada.... rich parents with Investor Class PR cards coming over and/or paying international student fees for their kids to attend school to get their degrees and then getting PR..... then leaving altogether afterwards.  The huge influx of capital will affect the marketplace. 

Another notion to remember is that while many of the occupations of homeowners are "students" and "homemakers".... many times it's just for tax purposes.  Real estate is just another form of investment, like any stocks, bonds or own business.  To take advantages of tax loopholes, many just buy property of investment and just have their spouse or children as the "owners".  May not automatically mean they're rich folks buying up homes.  My parents purchased an apartment for an investment, but it's officially under my name, so I can qualify for the First Time Home Buyer benefit, and if/when they decide to sell, they won't be incurring any capital gains.  Working class people, immigrated to Canada 40+ years back..... hardly the "foreign money" type... even though they don't have English sounding names.  Of course, they decided to enter the real estate market after being hit in the stock markets previously and to take advantage of the extremely fast rising housing prices. 

I'm going to repeat what some people have said about the Chinese population in Vancouver.

There have been many different and distinct waves of "Chinese" immigration to Canada throughout our country's history. From the Toisan who helped build the railroads to the old Canton group in the early to mid 80s to the Taiwanese in the 90s to the  HK diaspora in 1997 to now...the Mainland Chinese who are the ones that are bringing their millions. 

Before you jump to any conclusions, please keep in mind that there are generations of ethnic Chinese Canadians who have grown up here and contribute to society just like every other good Canadian. You can't paint them all with one stroke, including the Mainland Chinese, but it's best to make the distinction.

Long story short, Mainland Chinese = evil ;)

I'm going to repeat what some people have said about the Chinese population in Vancouver.

There have been many different and distinct waves of "Chinese" immigration to Canada throughout our country's history. From the Toisan who helped build the railroads to the old Canton group in the early to mid 80s to the Taiwanese in the 90s to the  HK diaspora in 1997 to now...the Mainland Chinese who are the ones that are bringing their millions. 

Before you jump to any conclusions, please keep in mind that there are generations of ethnic Chinese Canadians who have grown up here and contribute to society just like every other good Canadian. You can't paint them all with one stroke, including the Mainland Chinese, but it's best to make the distinction.

Long story short, Mainland Chinese = evil ;)

I'd agree. The people of Chinese descent who are actual citizens are just as much victims of this as any other ethnic group in Vancouver.

This is why it makes sense to set up regulations and taxes that target non-residents immediately. We won't just be targeting mainland Chinese. There is a substantial amount of investment from places like Iran, the middle east, and Europe as well. All non-residents will be targeted equally. This is not about race, it's about whether you actually live in Canada.

Gregor Robertson is an absolutely vile human being who defers to PC diatribes to push through his agendas. His comments on CKNW are nothing new. The racist card is just another tactic brought up by the PC crowd to nullify any actual relevant conversation on the housing issue in this province.

There is a definite correlation between the massive spike in house prices and the influx of foreign investment from China. That's a proven fact. To say that it is a racist statement is erroneous.

I have friends of Chinese descent whose families have lived in BC for generations. These people came into extremely hostile environments and fought tooth and nail for leverage within the country. They helped build the railroad that is a huge part of this country. They died doing so. They fought to be Canadians. And they are Canadians, essentially important to the fabric of this country. Even they see it for what it is.

However those aren't the people that Robertson's PC BS is defending. He's defending foreign investors with zero interest in Canada, outside of buying up property. They hold thousands, if not millions of dollars, in offshore accounts, and claim to live below the poverty line here based on their declared income. Due to that fact they are able to leech off of social programs intended for people who legitimately require that assistance.

The fault for all of this rests soundly on the heads of scum like Roberston, Clark and other BC politicians who have no interest in ensuring that this province, and all regions within it, are comprised of strong communities. Those communities are dying. Most neighbourhoods now, are fractured, and have no solid community core to them. Half of the houses in some west side Vancouver neighbourhoods sit empty months out of the year. Yet people who actually live, work, and contribute to the local economies are struggling to find housing.

Robertson has mastered the "art" of cloaking his words with enough politically correct rhetoric, that he can actually avoid answering the actually relevant questions brought up.

Gregor Robertson is an absolutely vile human being who defers to PC diatribes to push through his agendas. His comments on CKNW are nothing new. The racist card is just another tactic brought up by the PC crowd to nullify any actual relevant conversation on the housing issue in this province.

There is a definite correlation between the massive spike in house prices and the influx of foreign investment from China. That's a proven fact. To say that it is a racist statement is erroneous.

I have friends of Chinese descent whose families have lived in BC for generations. These people came into extremely hostile environments and fought tooth and nail for leverage within the country. They helped build the railroad that is a huge part of this country. They died doing so. They fought to be Canadians. And they are Canadians, essentially important to the fabric of this country. Even they see it for what it is.

However those aren't the people that Robertson's PC BS is defending. He's defending foreign investors with zero interest in Canada, outside of buying up property. They hold thousands, if not millions of dollars, in offshore accounts, and claim to live below the poverty line here based on their declared income. Due to that fact they are able to leech off of social programs intended for people who legitimately require that assistance.

The fault for all of this rests soundly on the heads of scum like Roberston, Clark and other BC politicians who have no interest in ensuring that this province, and all regions within it, are comprised of strong communities. Those communities are dying. Most neighbourhoods now, are fractured, and have no solid community core to them. Half of the houses in Vancouver neighbourhoods sit empty months out of the year. Yet people who actually live, work, and contribute to the local economies are struggling to find housing.

Robertson has mastered the "art" of cloaking his words with enough politically correct rhetoric, that he can actually avoid answering the actually relevant questions brought up.

Robertson leaped out of his seat to protect the taxi cartels and squash Uber, but he can't do anything about the housing crisis? I have no idea why people re-elected him.

Edited. But I see your up to your usual practice of concentrating on one minor detail in a post as an excuse to use an emoticon. Well done.

In some west side neighbourhoods is still a silly exaggeration.

What do you want me to say about your post. It's a rambling rant on a super complex issue. If it were as easy as 'do this', it would be done. 

I'm not saying there isn't an issue that needs to be figured out, but the whole 'gregor bad' thing doesn't really do it. 

Archived