The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another imperfect NHL process - waivers

Matt_T83

While I am glad that the NHL elminated re-entry waivers a decade ago, the waiver system is still broken.  It needs to be changed slightly to better protect a team's assets.  This is obviously motivated by the loss of Frank Corrado, but this is a general NHL problem.

The issue at hand is negotiations in poor faith by certain teams, in this case Toronto.  Why would Toronto ever trade for Corrado, when they know he will probably be put on waivers?  The answer is they wouldn't. Yet Toronto was fishing for information, trying to 'trade' for Corrado to see where Vancouver was.  So I suggest a 2 phase process to waivers:

1) Team declares a player on waivers, but selects 5 teams to negotiate with.  This phase lasts 24 hours, and only said 5 teams can acquire the player, but they must trade for him.  They cannot pick him up for free.

2) If the player passes phase 1, he goes to phase 2 unconditional waivers, where any team  can claim him for free as in the current system (lasts another 24 hours).  HOWEVER, the 5 teams selected during phase 1 cannot pick this player up.  They were given an opportunity to make fair trade offers, and are banned from this waiver pick up.

Teams should be allowed to protect their assets from loss.  If a GM can identify the 5 most likely teams to pick up a player, they can gain greater bargaining strength with this process.  However, there is also a greater risk as the other teams have 48 hours to make a decision, if the player passes through phase 1.

With this system, dirty teams negotiating in poor faith like Toronto could be prevented from stealing a player for free.  And in my opinion, if this system were in place, Toronto would have given up a draft pick for Corrado.  They wanted him, they just knew they could cheat the system and get him for free, taking a small risk that they wouldn't get him on waivers.

nobody would ever want to be those 5 teams, so they would just wait it out with the other teams. Solves nothing.

Waivers were meant to keep teams from hoarding players and to distribute talent from strong teams to weak ones. Toronto needs Corrado more than we do.

Most players on waivers have little value anyways. GMs try to trade these players before waiving them. Usually do anyways. Nobody wants to pay for an asset tjey coukd get for free.

Even if it was a feasable option, it would have to be agreed upon by the NHL and NHLPA and I doubt the GMs would want to be forced to have to trade for waiver trash.

What if we had to actually give up something for McMillan last year? Case in point.

And to insinuate Toronto "stole" him from us is pretty ignorant as 28 other teams wouldnt take him for free. To steal something it has to have value. Corrado is at best a bottom pairing defenseman, dime a dozen.

It wouldn't work. Sometimes a team has to put a player on waivers so they can clear a roster spot quickly. Adding another 24 hours to the process (it's already 48 hours over a weekend) makes that too long. The only way something similar could work is if they happened in conjunction, where a team was still allowed to continue negotiations with interested teams, but if those teams want to put in a waiver claim they can no longer negotiate.

Even then it's not so abusive as is that it happens often a player is picked up but not used. That alternative for us was that we don't risk him on waivers and keep him in the press box. If another team is willing to claim him and have him occupy a roster spot, the waivers system has done it's job - which is to keep older players in the NHL. Whether he plays or not is moot at that point.

Like Bettman reads CDC...

methinks you're just miffed we had to lose a decent prospect. It's not an imperfect process - it's just how the business is run.

The decent prospect who can barely crack a bottom feeder? When you can't outshine the bottom few defenders on a team that is not that deep on D, you just aren't a very good player.

And to insinuate Toronto "stole" him from us is pretty ignorant as 28 other teams wouldnt take him for free. To steal something it has to have value. Corrado is at best a bottom pairing defenseman, dime a dozen.

While I'm not for the OP's idea, Toronto wasn't the last team on the waiver claim order so there weren't 28 other teams that passed on him. Other teams with better standings would have been behind Toronto and even if they'd made a claim, Toronto's would have come first.

While I'm not for the OP's idea, Toronto wasn't the last team on the waiver claim order so there weren't 28 other teams that passed on him. Other teams with better standings would have been behind Toronto and even if they'd made a claim, Toronto's would have come first.

That was my mistake. I thought Toronto rewaived him and I only now realize it was a conditioning stint.

Given that Corrado's salary is $632 500, it's more like $7.59 Million per dozen ;)

I think if you loook at it historically, the Canucks have picked up far more players than they have lost via waivers.

Look at Ryan Stanton, maybe the Canucks would have traded the pick that became Hutton (probably not cronogoically correct, but you get the idea) just to get Stanton.  

Would the OP be happy about that?

Waivers is designed to help players make/stay in the NHL.

It sucks that the Canucks lost a prospect that some of us obviously valued more than others of the fanbase...but at the same time if you look at it from the players perspective its a chance for them to get going in another clubs system and not be buried underneath the various layers of depth that blanket certain franchises.

Now if Corrado (and others) can make the most of this opportunity is up in the air, but at least there is a chance.

Even if it was a feasable option, it would have to be agreed upon by the NHL and NHLPA and I doubt the GMs would want to be forced to have to trade for waiver trash.

Not just agreed upon, but agreed upon as part of the CBA, which doesn't expire until 2022.

On the other hand if a team thinks a player deserves to be in the NHL is it fair to the player to be forced into the minors because the team has more depth and are stuck behind others when other teams could use him?

Especially when said player is of enough NHL games experience or is old enough and been given enough chances to make said team?

nobody would ever want to be those 5 teams, so they would just wait it out with the other teams. Solves nothing.

Waivers were meant to keep teams from hoarding players and to distribute talent from strong teams to weak ones. Toronto needs Corrado more than we do.

Most players on waivers have little value anyways. GMs try to trade these players before waiving them. Usually do anyways. Nobody wants to pay for an asset tjey coukd get for free.

What if we had to actually give up something for McMillan last year? Case in point.

The fact the Corrado has still not played a game in Toronto means Toronto is hoarding him.

The real issue here is that Toronto claimed him and kept him out of their lineup long enough that he was (somehow) eligible for a conditioning stint.  It's this last part that shouldn't be allowed, and would be easy enough to fix.  Conditioning stints should only be for players coming off injury, and never be a way of stringing along a player claimed on waivers.  OP is right about Toronto violating the intent of waiver rules but the proposed solution doesn't make sense. 

I think LA should have had an option to keep Vey if they still wanted him.

Same with Vancouver with Vey and Corrado (and Baers)...I think borderline players are all over the league...plus if they have a AWESOME training camp go all gang busters then dry up 20 games in?. Zilch. I don't think rosters should be hand cuffed with borderline players who audition well.

There should be an optional waivers. Teams can pay the player 'x' amount of dollars if he agrees to waive and go to the AHL and train and wait for call up. (and maybe a fine to the league)

Or take his chances and gamble if some other team may pick him up.

This would give guys like Gaunce a better shot at proving their worth.

Archived