The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks win 4-1 against the Stinky Flyers.

Odd.

That's about as even a spread of ice-time amongst the forwards as you'll see. We really have very little difference between our first and 4th line centers, not sure if that's a good thing or if that might hurt us later on. The Canucks lack that top-end star like Benn or Kane, but I think this team's offensive depth is probably top-5 if not higher in the league. Not many teams have their 4th line center leading the team in goals, and such an even spread of scoring.

Great goal by Virtanen, he was bound to break-out eventually and the same can be said for Horvat who has been pretty snake bitten all season long. 4 points in 12 games isn't bad but he can do better and he knows it, and this was a big game in terms of breaking out. Baertschi finally looks like he fit, that was one of the prettiest goals all season long with some nifty passing to Hansen.

That being said, I think we need to take this game with a grain of salt. That Philadelphia defence is woeful, they really sucked tonight. Didn't take the man, couldn't even play the puck and they got beaten pretty badly all ends up at times. Everyone not named Streit sucked, and even Streit couldn't handle Bo's size. On the flipside, I thought Tanev and Edler really stepped up to the plate again and shutdown a high-flying offence. When our top pairing is on, they're the best shutdown guys in the division IMO. I think a lot of it must come down to video and practice because it seems against some stars they really thrive to shutdown whereas others rip them apart. Tonight, Edler and Tanev did a fantastic job. Pretty ugly goal against Bartkowski though, but Giroux's been making everyone look silly lately.

Great game by the kids, nice goals by Virtanen and Horvat but it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up after 20, 30 or even 50 games in the season. I have a feeling Virtanen's going to be a streaky scorer so hopefully he can get on a bit of a roll now before he cools off. The Pittsburgh defence and wide-open style of play should benefit him and Baertschi nicely in particular so it'll be nice to see how they play in those wide open games.

I am so pumped for this team right now. Everything is coming together nicely and with the great depth we have, we'll keep right on trucking through inevitable injuries. Probably a few nervous vets about now, which can only ramp up the intensity for the team. 

My daughter bought me tickets against Ottawa next week but damnnnnn, will be on the road for work and miss my chance. Take it to the Senators for me boys, I'll be watching from Winterpeg and hope to get at least one live game this year. You Vanouverites are so lucky...yet the rink always seems quite. 

Someone in the GDT called Bo would have two points tonight to show why he made it to the NHL first. Not sure who it was but hats off on your prediction.

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff 2h2 hours ago

maybe Horvat's like Luongo -- just doesn't do October. Didn't play last season due to injury. Didn't have much going this time around.

Shinkaruk is going to throw another bucket of gasoline on the fire once he gets here.

Don't forget Boeser and Demko....jesus this team is going to be good....

And there's always our depth guys like Guance, Cassells, and hopefully Jensen...we have a cupboard that looks like we've been able to draft some high probability NHL'ers (at least with our first rounders).

That's about as even a spread of ice-time amongst the forwards as you'll see. We really have very little difference between our first and 4th line centers, not sure if that's a good thing or if that might hurt us later on.

I think it will be a similar situation to last year. It's a smart way to keep bodies fresh during the regular season, but that won't fly in the playoffs when the big boys of the opposition start logging high end minutes. As good defensively as our third and fourth lines are they can't hope to match up against the Kane's and Kopitar's of the league.

Archived