The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Penguins 3-2 Canucks

CANUCK-EXPRESS

One thing I don't get about WD is the way he shortens the bench. The first goal was on Virtanen when he couldn't chip the puck out of the zone. He had more than enough time to ensure he got it out but tried a light chip hoping to spring himself for a rush. 

WD went right back to that line on the face off and showed confidence. Virtanen then looked alright from then on but then he gets stapled to the bench in the 3rd. 

As much as I want to be critical, maybe he really is doing what's best for his rookies and protecting them from putting them in situations where they could lose confidence. I feel like he's sitting them, making them want it more so that when they do get the chance, they'll hold nothing back and play aggressively. Maybe he really does have their long term interest in mind. I mean look at Horvat. He is a sophomore playing in all the key situations. 

I hate that I agree with you.

Kinda knew we would come up a little bit short... again.  We aren't quite built like Kings or Flames. 

The lethargic play for the first 55 minutes sealed our doom.  You can't put in a 5-minute effort and expect to earn at least a point, not to mention winning.

Yeah the Flames are doing so well this season oh wait never mind LOL

Overall it was a pretty bad game but liked the fight at end. I think our forwards are fine and we do have a lot of depth. 

My biggest concern is our D. Think we are really weak. Weber is atrocious and you can tell on some nights age has caught up to Hamhuis. 

Hoping GMJB can get a decent RD with top 4 potential. I still think we will make the playoffs with the D we have but likely won't get out of the 1st Rd again. 

The problem is that Weber is our 7th man. Injuries forced him in the line up. Weber's also one of the weakest 7th D in the league, and his gaffes are very noticable and costly. If it wasn't for his gigantic shot, I honestly don't think he'd be in the NHL. He's a worse version of MA Bergeron, and about on par with Aaron Rome overall.

Our D needs help

Weber is horrible end of story AHL 6-8 Dman at best

His shot is never taken (or its a half slapper) and the PP % only got better (not cause of #6) but the 2nd unit started scoring

Edler is hit or miss and tonight was a big MISS ( really should be a 3rd pair guy on a contender)

Tanev was Tanev (good second pairing guy on a contender)

Hutton is a great prospect and good Dman but is a rookie that will make mistakes (future top 4 guy)

#44 Is wat he is i think him #5 and #23 are gona have spots of brilliance and many parts of OH MY GAWD (headaches)

Hammertime as much as he has been great over the years may be on a 1 way tix outa here (a 1st would be nice)

We need to hope that a couple of Dmen in the A' or Jr or that we draft ASAP turn out to be top 2 or at least top 4 D

Cause we only have 8 and 27 as top 4 going forward with 5 23 & 44 being 5-7 so we REALLY need 2 more young D to step up over the next year or two

Quickly rewatched some of the game. WD is all about trust and he trusts McCann. While Virtanen was benched in the 3rd, McCann was still playing and only missed a couple  due to special teams like PP and PK. He was even out on a 4 on 4 situation and replaced Virtanen on the Burrows Sutter Lin once. 

Virtanen on the other hand was not having a good game. He lacked energy and hustle. The first goal was mainly due to him because of 2 different reasons. 

First, he couldn't get the puck out of the zone. He tried to one hand the puck and chip it past the D-man to go on a rush but turned it over at the blue line. He could have at that point tried to take the body and push it out but already did a fly by. 

Secondly, once the Pens had possession in the zone and was passing it around, Virtanen was caught flat footed as a cross ice pass went by him and went to Kessel who then passed it back to the D where Virtanen was once again late to charge the point to block the shot. So basically he was caught in no man's land as he was neither close enough to tip the cross ice pass nor far out enough to disrupt the point shot. 

The rest of the period and 2nd period, he was pretty unnoticeable with the exception of one rush. 

As a result, in the 3rd period Willie shortened the bench and Virtanen was out. 

Now whether that is fair or not, it was WD 's decision and quite simply, judging by ice time and deployment, I can clearly see that he trusts McCann much more than Virtanen. 

I also don't want to look like I'm only picking on Jake or Willie. The game situation was such that it was difficult to find room for Virtanen to play due to the score as well as the penalties in the 3rd.

Willie was still rolling the lines in the 3rd until the 2-0 goal. And then there were penalties. When it's 4 on 4, guys like the Sedins are a pairing, Sutter and Vrbata paired, guys like Horvat and Burrows will get ice ahead of Jake. Jake also doesn't do PP or PK. As a result, I can only remember one shift when Burrows and Sutter was out with a different linemate (McCann). The rest of the time, players were jumbled from their regular lines due to the special teams and basically at this point, WD doesn't trust Virtanen enough on 4 on 4 situations due to his defensive play. 

I think the only argument one could make for Jake is to compare his ice time in the 3rd to guys like Cracknell, Higgins and Dorsett and perhaps make the argument that we had a better chance going with Jake over those guys but at this point, it seems that WD only likes to play Jake during 5 on 5 when he can shelter him with Sutter and Burrows. 

Worst player on the ice - Weber, his 5 on 5 play is just atrocious, please trade him asap.

2nd worst player - Higgins, did absolutely nothing to help this team win, should have gone for conditioning stint first, then trade him asap.

Best player by a country mile - Hanson, has wheels and knows how to use them.

I'm now convinced Willy is barley an AHL coach, this loss is all on him! He has no idea how to use his players.

McCann is quietly getting better and better in all zones now especially the d-zone. If you have the noted Canuck hater Craig Simpson giving you props all game long it speaks volumes. He seems to grasp the game quicker than all the kids so far not including Hutton. Higgins just came off an injury so i am going to give him time to get up to speed. Btw the great Bearcheese would have been slow out of the gate if he spent a month rehabing a broken foot.

McCann is quietly getting better and better in all zones now especially the d-zone. If you have the noted Canuck hater Craig Simpson giving you props all game long it speaks volumes. He seems to grasp the game quicker than all the kids so far not including Hutton. Higgins just came off an injury so i am going to give him time to get up to speed. Btw the great Bearcheese would have been slow out of the gate if he spent a month rehabing a broken foot.

so if Higgins needs time to get up to speed why is he not at the farm for conditioning?  This isn't the try league.

I think they have been over acheiving so far this year and I hate to say it but I predict there will be a huge spiral downwards from here on in. They will lose 5 of the 7 on this trip and it will only get worse after that. 

Willy does not know how to manage the players properly, Sedans will start to tire even more than they already are and Willy will just keep pushing that line until there is nothing left.

For the life of me I cannot figure how he is supposed to be a young players coach, when he mismanages them like he does.

Maybe it works in the AHL, it doesn't work in this league.  Willy either wake up or you will be out of a job soon!!!

I can't help thinking we are REALLY missing Sbisa out there.

Apart from that I have to think hard to remember a game where our passing accuracy was so poor. When you constantly play passes hard into feet, behind the man or just nowhere near a team mate you are going to struggle. And boy did we struggle.

Higgins was invisible but I make allowance for his first game back, never the less it was just another factor which contributed to a poor day at the office for the Canucks.

On to the next one.

Of course this result will be a boon for all those above who only equate a loss with "not playing the rookies" as every loss from here to the end of the season, will be. Ignore the actual facts of the defeat i.e. the defence once more struggled and just look at how much time Jake or Jared got. Pathetic.

Hansen worked hard all game. Not sure about anybody else. No shifts for JV in the third by my count. 

IMO JV is NOT NHL ready yet.  He will be, but he really should spend a season in the AHL.  He probably will next season when the Canucks can send him there.  Too bad as he definitely has some upside.

McCann made something happen, he gets his first assist on a nice steal and passes it over to Hansen for a huge goal.

Jake was pretty invisible all night long, in the shifts he had, and that's why he was benched. Benched because he was invisible, not invisible because he was benched.

This is the biggest concern I had with keeping the rookies - the nights they don't show up and get benched, so we're suddenly down two forwards. That's tough on our older guys and WD can't keep expecting to do this every 2nd game. We can't have the kids play 15 minutes one night and then 5 another because they take up a big part of our roster. This is why I think we should have kept Gaunce or Shinkaruk up here instead of Virtanen - more consistent efforts and less likely to be playing 5 minutes and then get benched. Either have them in the lineup or have someone who will give us a hard 10 minutes minimum each night, the Sedins and co. are too old to be counted on this much.

As for defence, man Weber looked bad on that 3-0 goal. Once again our bottom half of defence manages to cost us a big goal.

Your thoughts are my thoughts pretty much.  JV is simply not NHL ready - yet.  He will be but needs a year in the AHL and that probably won't happen at all or not until next year.  JMc is ready and is, at this point ahead of JV.  Weber and Bartkowski are scary out there.  Bart has some speed but otherwise - not good enough.  I would like to see Biega be given a shot.  He looked good in pre-season.

Archived