The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seriously! Jim? Trevor? Willie? What is going on in your minds and behind the Canucks bench during games?

SuperReverb2

Willie seems lost in the 3rd period. Only once that I remember of this seasons games, did he use his time out to coach, and it actually helped them win a game it looked like they were going to lose. 3 coaches behind the bench and so many games lost in the 3rd means the coaching is failing. The team with its youth is actually able to play better than most expected, but the coaches somehow can't hold the lead. Its their fault IMO.

Just wanted to clarify that my original post wasn't a result of "just" yesterday's loss to Buffalo, (although that was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back so to speak) but more a culmination of a process that's been going on since about the 4 or 5 game mark. Global Sports touched on it last night, The Province did this morning, and the reporters have asked about it in the post game interviews. Seems it does have some warranted attention. 

Agree that Horvat benefitted greatly from the sheltered minutes he received last year, but in perspective he was 1 rookie in a team of vets. Not that noticeable or game changing when 1 rookie sits for an extended period time game in and game out. This year we have Horvat in his second year, and yes, struggling a bit to find his identity, but we also have many new faces and 2 brand new rookies in Virtanen and McCann. Might not be such an impact if there were always on the same line and it was just one line that was benched for a while, but when you bench two players (maybe three with Baertschi) that are on different lines, you certainly run the risk of disrupting not only their line mates but the dynamics, speed, and intensity of the whole team.

To add.  Yes, we also have Hutton, but for reason he doesn't seem like a rookie and his play for the most part doesn't show that he is. Yes, a few mistakes are made, but his ability to put it behind him and recover quickly has kept him in a regular spot and off the bench.   

I just don't understand how Willie doesn't know how to coach. To keep it short this is what you're really saying.

Last year (His 1st, Rookie Season) he brings along Horvat perfectly. He got our team that was not supposed to make the playoffs into a 100+ point team.

Now this year we are 5th in the West & we're ONLY 15 games into a long season & Willie needs to be replaced??? I can't help myself but to LMAO!!! Most believed we are maybe an 8th place team or most likely 9-12th which is where we might just end up. That still doesn't mean WD sucks. All he's shown so far is above expectations... 

Is Willie still learning things about the NHL, Yes this is his 2nd year only. which coach in their 2nd year is Scotty Bowman???    I'd say WD is doing a pretty good job to date with an upside to become better...

I just don't understand how Willie doesn't know how to coach. To keep it short this is what you're really saying.

Last year (His 1st, Rookie Season) he brings along Horvat perfectly. He got our team that was not supposed to make the playoffs into a 100+ point team.

Now this year we are 5th in the West & we're ONLY 15 games into a long season & Willie needs to be replaced??? I can't help myself but to LMAO!!! Most believed we are maybe an 8th place team or most likely 9-12th which is where we might just end up. That still doesn't mean WD sucks. All he's shown so far is above expectations... 

Is Willie still learning things about the NHL, Yes this is his 2nd year only. which coach in their 2nd year is Scotty Bowman???    I'd say WD is doing a pretty good job to date with an upside to become better...

Considering Willie has a masters in social work and an education degree to back things up, he strikes me as the kind of person who is more than willing to learn on the go as well. You don't just get those credentials because you want to be a coach. You get those credentials because you want to be able to do what you do well.

He's going to learn and he's going to improve, just as he has throughout his coaching career.

Archived