The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Solving the defence

PhillipBlunt

Solving the defense  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is no secret that Vancouver's defense outside of Tanev and Hutton, is pretty shaky.

• Edler continues to blow coverage in all zones, and exhibits his usual completely inconsistent play
  • Hamhuis is showing signs of age, getting burned by younger forwards
  • Sbisa, whilst a solid hitter and skater, his confidence with the puck is startlingly bad
  • Weber is small, and has a wicked shot, but brings very little physicality
  • Bartkowski has some decent speed, but struggles in his own end with an inability to handle players the size of Claude Giroux, make him a one year tryout.

My question is when faced with that harsh reality of making a substantial trade to acquire a legitimate top four defenseman, when does Benning make his move?

If augmented with the right presence, this defense could be excellent. I'm excited to see what Benning has planned.

Not this season, Maybe when...
Mccann/Boeser/Virtanen/Hutton/Horvat get older
Sedins are on the 3rd and 4th line 
Lucic for 4-5 years, we can sign some top D, but we really need to see how JB Handles himself in the 2016 draft, I suspect it will be his best draft day! He finally nearly has control over his team. I'm excited for the future :) 
C A N U C K S

The d you mentioned as targets are all high end. They would cost an arm and a leg, if a GM was crazy enough to unload them.

I just don't see Benning going small with solidifying the defensive corps. I mean he signed a third line centre for five years at 4.1 M year!

I picked petro cause he has fell off slightly since sochi but is still elite in my opinion, and would likely be the best bang for buck option. Weber would cost the farm and it just doesn't seem feasible. But Nashville and St Louis are both stacked on D. Although the most likely option is "other", but I wanted to play along. 

Seth Jones would be a dream come true but that will never happen. 

The assets it takes to acquire a legit top 4 costs too much.

So we either take a gamble on a young unproven guy kind of like Edmonton did with Reinhart. Or we go the free agent route and pay an established vet an inflated contract.

I personally think the only way for us to have success is to draft our own high end D-men, and then fill in the gaps with quality vets.

I picked petro cause he has fell off slightly since sochi but is still elite in my opinion, and would likely be the best bang for buck option. Weber would cost the farm and it just doesn't seem feasible. But Nashville and St Louis are both stacked on D. Although the most likely option is "other", but I wanted to play along. 

Seth Jones would be a dream come true but that will never happen. 

I think Jones could be had for the right price

problem is NASH doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and therefore no reason to deal him

I just don't see Benning going small with solidifying the defensive corps. I mean he signed a third line centre for five years at 4.1 M year!

in fairness that's like saying jordan steal was a 3rd liner too. Sutter is a top 9 scoring center with height and reach he uses to be elite on the pk. scores shortys too, because maybe he has not great offensive hands, he does have a really good shot. his knock is he's not physical, but positionally and intensity wise, he brings it.

lol holy west coast express post. wow.

or was that pacific coast. what was that guys name

Signing 28 year olds to big contracts probably isn't the best strategy.

We'll get maybe 2 or 3 prime years out of him at like 5 mil a year. Doesn't really solve our long term goals.

Russell is probably the closest thing to a top 4 defensemen, without giving up a significant assets or paying top dollars.

I'd gladly take him on a short term contract, say 4 years, at 5 million per.

The problem IMO is that there are 28 other teams looking to upgrade on defence so unless the Canucks want to get fleeced. A trade is probably not a good idea. Now if they can get the free agent in the KHL, that could be exciting.

I think we will get what we want in the draft, that way it will be cheaper in the long run. We don't need an elite D just now when we are transitioning and not likely to be making a big splash in the SC. It would frankly be a waste of money.

We have the possibility of Tryamkin and Pedan coming into the team. They supply size and "clear out the crease" ability. Hammer and most likely Weber will be traded and Hutton will be a year more experienced. 

If anything we need a more reliable sniper imo. We are making barrowloads of chances game after game and failing miserably to put them away.

If anything we need a more reliable sniper imo. We are making barrowloads of chances game after game and failing miserably to put them away.

The Sedin's (mainly Daniel) and even Vrbata have been WAY TOO soft on their shots this year....Trying to just pot them in instead of leaning on them.  They shouldn't be so cheap with the jam and put some on dem shots

#1 Defenseman can only be drafted. Benning needs to draft a Defenseman in the first round.

I see that written quite a bit, but wonder what people are referring to as a #1 d-man when they say that. 

If a #1 d-man is the top d-man on a team, then there are 30 of them. 

Ed Jovanovski was traded to the Vancouver Canucks and subsequently was 6th in the Norris voting on 2 occasions and two other times was in the top 18 and represented Canada several times.

After Dan Boyle was first traded he was in the top 17 in Norris voting 8 times including once 4th, once 5th and once 6th.

Since Chicago traded Dustin Byfuglien he has had seasons finishing in the Norris voting at 7, 12, 13 and 15.

Ryan Suter was Minnesota's #1 d-man last season and they got him as an UFA.

Last season the Islanders' top 2 d-men were Leddy and Boychuk, both obtained in trade.

As Joe has already pointed out, St. Louis got Kevin Shattenkirk via trade.

It's tough to find examples of movement of the best all-round NHL defencemen such as Keith, Weber and Doughty, but certainly there is the odd trade get made that move someone who is or becomes the best defenceman on his team and top 20 in the league.

One problem of course is that some of these moves depend having cap space, which the Canucks don't have.

Archived