The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

Anyone have any thoughts on how long Lui will play for? Next season his salary gets cut in half to 3.3 a year, the year after i believe its 1.6 for the year and the last two years at 1 million a piece. I can see him coming back next year but i don't see him playing for the final 3 years. Any thoughts anyone?

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not just in wins, but in points as well - Roberto Luongo has tied Marty Turco and Gilles Meloche for 21st on the all-time goaltender point list with 22.

That's impressive, strange though. I thought Turco would have had more, I remember him being an extremely active puck handling goaltender with the Stars.

Edit: Huh, took at look at his wiki and he didn't play nearly as long as I thought he had. That explains it!

Edited by Coconuts

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's impressive, strange though. I thought Turco would have had more, I remember him being an extremely active puck handling goaltender with the Stars.

Edit: Huh, took at look at his wiki and he didn't play nearly as long as I thought he had. That explains it!

That is funny, i would have thought the same for sure! Turco always seemed so proficient with moving the puck and Lui always seemed to struggle a bit.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

That is funny, i would have thought the same for sure! Turco always seemed so proficient with moving the puck and Lui always seemed to struggle a bit.

For real though, it seemed like Dallas had three D back there a lot of the time when he played for em. He was one of the rare goaltenders who seem to do really well puckhanding.

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Anyone have any thoughts on how long Lui will play for? Next season his salary gets cut in half to 3.3 a year, the year after i believe its 1.6 for the year and the last two years at 1 million a piece. I can see him coming back next year but i don't see him playing for the final 3 years. Any thoughts anyone?

Here are my thoughts

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

8 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I think he will play out his contract as long as it is in Florida.

Yes his salary will decrease but he loves the sport and is in incredible shape (I can't find the article but there was one in the last year showing his regiment and that he is still in fantastic shape.) It helps that he gets to live near his family so for him it must just be like a normal job when playing at home. It also helps that Florida has a very good backup goalie in Reimer who is signed for the next 3 years which allows for a slow move to 50/50 split as Lu ages. 

I see Florida trying to trade Reimer in 2021 and move in a young up and coming goalie to work with Lu. The 2021-2022 season with be Lu's swan song - a year we see Lu mentor said younger goalie and pass along the reins to as Lu becomes the topic of the media for all of his accolades placing him as one of the best goalies of all time.

7 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Here are my thoughts

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

8 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

2020 is when we should be about ready to compete and can't afford to have 4.2 mil tied up on cap recapture bs created by Bettman to punish Vancouver.

We should trade for Lu in 2019, and pay him his salary on the condition that he does not retire until 2022. It's free money for him, I don't see why he would refuse to be paid.

1 hour ago, khay said:

2020 is when we should be about ready to compete and can't afford to have 4.2 mil tied up on cap recapture bs created by Bettman to punish Vancouver.

We should trade for Lu in 2019, and pay him his salary on the condition that he does not retire until 2022. It's free money for him, I don't see why he would refuse to be paid.

Or he should get fake-injured and sit on IR for however long after he decides he doesn't want to play anymore.

That being said, he's looking in fine fettle right now, so he should get at least two more years even if year one is injury-plagued and year two is a swansong. If he plays one good year, one middling year, then a finale year, we're screwed :lol:

Although part of me doesn't care, for what he gave to this franchise.

I think Luo would love to play out his contract. And it sounds like he's doing everything he can to make it happen.

At 38, Luongo Better Than Ever for Playoff-Hopeful Panthers

There was no shortage of praise being passed around the Florida Panthers locker room during the team's perfect six-game homestand, as 18 of 21 skaters recorded at least one point to help catapult the club back into the postseason picture in the Eastern Conference.

Aleksander Barkov led the team with 10 points (5-5-10) and was named the NHL's third star of the week on Monday. Evgenii Dadonov scored five goals, including his first career NHL hat trick against Pittsburgh on Feb. 24. From the blue line, defensemen Keith Yandle and Aaron Ekblad chipped in five and six points, respectively.

But after Sunday's 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers briefly moved the Panthers into a playoff spot, Barkov pointed to veteran goaltender Roberto Luongo as Florida's biggest key to success.

"We scored four breakaway goals in the game - that's not going to happen every game," Barkov said. "We didn't play well this game. Lou won the game for us. He stood on his head again."

Luongo stopped 39 of 40 shots against the Flyers to secure Florida's second-ever 6-0-0 sweep at home. With the win, he improved to 6-1-0 with a 2.27 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage since returning from a groin injury that ate up more than two months of his season.

In 22 games, Luongo is 12-7-1 with a 2.50 goals-against average and a .930 save percentage.

"When Lou is in there, there's just a calming effect," Panthers coach Bob Boughner said. "He's been solid ever since he's come back. We have great faith in both of our goalies. Lou is playing some of the best hockey I've seen him play in a long time and it's helping us out big time."

At 38, Luongo isn't playing just playing well for a goaltender of his age. In fact, he's quietly been performing between the pipes better than nearly every other netminder in the NHL, with his .930 save percentage -- his best since 2003-04 -- placing him in a tie for second place in the league among goalies with at least 15 starts this season.

When asked about his ability to bounce back from injury at an advanced age, Luongo credited Florida's medical staff and the team's longtime goaltending coach, Robb Tallas, for putting in "a lot of work, a lot of hours" to make sure that he came back at 100 percent.

Still, even Luongo couldn't hide his surprise with how well things have gone.

"Even I'm a little bit shocked with how good it's been since I've been back," Luongo said after backstopping Florida to a 3-2 overtime win against Toronto on Feb. 27. "I just want to keep it going."

While teammates shower him with praise, Luongo has been deflecting compliments like pucks after recent wins, instead pushing the credit towards the Panthers' improved play on defense, most notably their improvement in limiting the odd-man rushes that once plagued the team.

"That's a key for our club," Luongo said. "We don't want to be the type of team that trade chances. We're a good team when we control the puck in the offensive zone and use our speed to our advantage. When we don't turn the puck over, it's beneficial to what we want to do."

Although injuries and age haven't limited Luongo, they have forced him to evolve.

Luongo suited up for just 40 games last season due to recurring hip issues that eventually resulted in offseason surgery. In limited time, he posted a 17-15-6 record with a 2.68 goals-against average and a .915 save percentage.

In order to prevent future complications, Luongo's warm-up routine - which lasted roughly 20-30 minutes during his prime years - now lingers anywhere between 45-60 minutes. The bulk of the added work comes in the morning before he transitions into his usual pre-game routine.

"It's not something that's enjoyable to do every single day," Luongo said in September. "Sometimes, you just want to come to the rink and put your gear on and get dressed. Unfortunately, that's the way it is. I still have a strong passion for the game and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be in this league.

"I feel like the older I get, the longer it gets, If I play up to 45 like [Jaromir Jagr], I'll have to come in the night before to get ready for practice the next day. It just gradually feels like every year you add a little something."

It's evident when talking to his teammates that Luongo's passion resonates throughout Florida's locker room. For although the championship window is just now cracking open for so many of the team's up-and-coming stars, Luongo - despite his outstanding play - is running out of time.

With 465 victories under his belt - the fourth-most in NHL history -- Luongo's resume is already Hall of Fame-worthy. He's been a finalist for the Vezina Trophy three times and his franchise-best 206 victories with the Panthers will likely ensure that his name and number will someday hang from the rafters of BB&T Center.

But with the Panthers sitting one point behind Columbus for the second wild card spot in the Eastern Conference with three games in hand, there's no doubt Luongo's quest for a Stanley Cup is driving the team's playoff pursuit.

"He's been phenomenal," Panthers defenseman Alex Petrovic said. "He's won us every game since he's been back. We try not to make it too hard on him that way, but when something breaks down, which is going to happen in a game, he's always there to have our backs. He's been awesome.

"If we have a bad period, we're going to hear it from Lou, which is good. I think everyone gets going from that... If we can just bear down and get these wins for Lou here, it's just another reason for us to do well and make the playoffs."

Source: https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/at-38-luongo-better-than-ever-for-playoff-hopeful-panthers/c-296645562

He is 6-1-0 since returning to the lineup after missing more than two months with a groin injury. Those are Vintage-like Luongo numbers when he was with Vancouver in his prime. At 38, soon-to-be 39, I think he can still play a couple of more years. Maybe not as a starter, but he can definitely help develop the next starting goaltender in Florida. It's too bad that he is no longer with Vancouver because he would have been a perfect mentor for Demko.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he can reach 500 wins. If he gets another 5 this season, he needs 30 next season. Otherwise he'd have to come back for yet another year just to break that number. It would be a real shame to come up x amount short. Kind of like Kariya with 989 points. But he's also a HOFer so who cares?

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2018 at 4:40 PM, JV77 said:

Lui is a class above Miller in my books

Miller had one uber elite year.  The rest of his career hasn't been anywhere nearly as good.

Luongo doesn't have a Vezina (though one could easily argue [note argue isn't the same as stating it as a fact...] that he deserved to win it one year over Brodeur) but had more years of elite like numbers.

Both might end up in the HHOF but Miller doesn't get in before Luongo IMHO.