The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

On 3/6/2018 at 11:21 AM, gurn said:

Roberto: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=26791

Ryan:    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=45065

very similar numbers, Lou did have 2 years with  much better save percentages than Miller's best but for the most part very close for career numbers.

but how did lou get in over 250 more games then miller

when he started in the nhl only 2 years earlier

clearly lou was more heavily relied on by his teams

1 hour ago, JV77 said:

W 466

SO 75

Luongo posted his 75th career shutout to move within one of tying Tony Esposito and Ed Belfour for ninth place on the NHL's all-time list among goaltenders.

Question to any moderator cruising the board - given the prominence of this player in Canuck history, why doesn't he rate with a spot on the alumni chat area?

• Cheers 1

On 17/03/2018 at 5:15 AM, Fakename70 said:

Absolutely insane that certain people in this market still don't think his name and number belong in the rafters at the Rog after he hangs 'em up. 

We've got to stop retiring numbers of guys who never won a Cup. May as well rename our home "Mediocrity Arena".

I remain a huge Lu fan. I still have my white orca Lu #1 jersey. But were I in charge, we'd have precisely zero retired numbers in the rafters.

19 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

We've got to stop retiring numbers of guys who never won a Cup. May as well rename our home "Mediocrity Arena".

I remain a huge Lu fan. I still have my white orca Lu #1 jersey. But were I in charge, we'd have precisely zero retired numbers in the rafters.

Ok, grandpa, but the reality is that retired jerseys and numbers are commonplace in amateur and professional sport. And, like it or not, your Vancouver Canucks have chosen to participate in that ritual for certain players without giving any thought whatsoever to the number of Cups they won as an individual. And rightly so: one should have absolutely nothing to do with the other. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/16/2018 at 10:15 PM, Fakename70 said:

Absolutely insane that certain people in this market still don't think his name and number belong in the rafters at the Rog after he hangs 'em up. 

Who on earth thinks that?   Brodeur isn't in the league and it is arguable he wins two Vezinas.

4 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Ok, grandpa, but the reality is that retired jerseys and numbers are commonplace in amateur and professional sport. And, like it or not, your Vancouver Canucks have chosen to participate in that ritual for certain players without giving any thought whatsoever to the number of Cups they won as an individual. And rightly so: one should have absolutely nothing to do with the other. 

Ok kiddo, but the reality is that other franchises retire jerseys based on the success of the individuals in question. And, like it or not, your Vancouver Canucks have chosen to participate in that ritual for certain players despite never having won a sausage. And rightly so: this team is a laughing stock around the league for so many different reasons (fanbase, media, team, management, ownership, riots) that adding one more thing for people to ridicule us about doesn't actually matter.

It's like Vegas retiring Engelland's jersey after he retires in 2019. Although he may have two Cups by then.

EDIT: Don't even get me started on the Ring of Dishonor.

Edited by Guest

On 3/20/2018 at 2:56 AM, Captain Azzy said:

I have to disagree with you here Cap'n. Our team will never win the cup anyway. If we get back to the final, they'll just suspend half the team and have the refs swallow the whistles.

With that in mind, might as well celebrate the success of the franchise players that took the team on a deep run despite being against the odds.

Lu is a top 5 goalie to ever play the game, and we had him in his prime. He, and the Sedins, should be our most celebrated players. Definitely retire their jerseys.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/19/2018 at 11:56 PM, Captain Azzy said:

In that case, let's not retire the Sedins numbers. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Qwags said:

In that case, let's not retire the Sedins numbers. :rolleyes:

There's still time for them to achieve something worthy of no player ever wearing their numbers again. I understand why we have retired numbers, I just happen to disagree with celebrating mediocrity. Had Naslund ever led us to consistently-deep playoff runs, or Lu backstopped us to several Finals, fine. But we keep rewarding one-Final wonders.

For comparison, the Red Wings have won 11 Cups and retired 7 numbers. They've not retired the numbers for players like Brendan Shanahan (3 Cups, HHoF inductee), Sergei Fedorov (3 Cups, HHoF inductee, 400 goals for the franchise and nearly 1,000 points), Kris Draper (4 Cups, more than 1,100 GP) and will at some point retire Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

We have Linden (one Final), Naslund (not even a Final), Smyl (one Final) and Bure (one Final). Plus the Ring, which further dilutes the meaning of 'honor' as it's basically a fan favorites thing.

Again, I get why we do it, but if we retire Luongo, Daniel and Hank, we have SEVEN guys up there with ZERO Cups. Detroit's current 7 have a combined 25 Cups.

That's something to ponder.

23 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Who on earth thinks that?   Brodeur isn't in the league and it is arguable he wins two Vezinas.

Blake Price, for one. 1040 debated this very subject one afternoon a couple seasons ago. ROH, not the rafters was the consensus on Lu that day. One of the main issues against him in their view is that he wasn't a Canuck long enough to warrant rafters status. I was too busy shaking my head in disbelief to bother to phone-in with my rebuttal that his supposedly short tenure in Vancouver actually makes his personal accomplishments even more impressive. But they had him level with McLean at best. 

19 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

Ok kiddo, but the reality is that other franchises retire jerseys based on the success of the individuals in question. And, like it or not, your Vancouver Canucks have chosen to participate in that ritual 

Didn't I just say that? 

So, you don't think 22 nor 33 belong up there? The question is moot since that's exactly where they're both headed within the next couple years. And rightly so. 

Personally, it's the ROH that I can't stand. I think THAT rewards players might or even might not have been really good during their time in the game/with the franchise, but who ultimately were just fan favourites/loyal soldiers more than anything. 

I think you're all wet on the raised-to-the-rafters issue, but, in your defence, I threw up my hands in disgust when the desperate and pathetic Colorado Avalanche retired Ray Bourque's jersey number after he retired. What'd he play there for, a full season and a playoff run before that?

Edited by Fakename70