The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OK, I guess you worry about things I don't.   If the league lasts another 1000 years I am sure someone will figure out how to deal with the number thing but, if not, I guess civilization has to end somehow.

And the modern cult of the mediocre celebrity is how it will happen - putting people who actually achieve nothing on pedestals, while ignoring those like doctors and nurses who actually achieve something, is where modern society has gone so, so wrong.

For the record, Vegas's one jersey retirement is more worthy than our four combined.

43 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

And the modern cult of the mediocre celebrity is how it will happen - putting people who actually achieve nothing on pedestals, while ignoring those like doctors and nurses who actually achieve something, is where modern society has gone so, so wrong.

For the record, Vegas's one jersey retirement is more worthy than our four combined.

Retiring a player's number is not synonymous with saying they're more important than doctors and nurses.

Hospitals do honor their former doctors with pics of remembrance on walls, as well as departments and wings of the building named after them.  If the hospitals start hanging jersey numbers instead doctors pics, then I can see your point.

But I see no disrespect to other professions when an organization wants to honor their own former employees for their contributions.  A hospital seems like a good spot to honor doctors and nurses, and the Rogers Arena seems like a good spot to honor former Canucks.  

2 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Retiring a player's number is not synonymous with saying they're more important than doctors and nurses.

Hospitals do honor their former doctors with pics of remembrance on walls, as well as departments and wings of the building named after them.  If the hospitals start hanging jersey numbers instead doctors pics, then I can see your point.

But I see no disrespect to other professions when an organization wants to honor their own former employees for their contributions.  A hospital seems like a good spot to honor doctors and nurses, and the Rogers Arena seems like a good spot to honor former Canucks.  

I agree on all that - just not on who we retire. I fundamentally disagree with 'honoring' the mediocre set of players the franchise has thus far. If we continue to retire the numbers of players who've won nothing, and only taken the team to a single, solitary Finals appearance, then when we do finally win a Cup we'll have a whole building full of failures before we get to the players who actually warrant jersey retirement.

Luongo was the greatest goalie we've ever had, but he should NEVER have his # retired.

9 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

For the record, why does this bother you so much?   You would rather the Canucks retire the numbers of doctors or teachers?   

You are on quite the rant but are really not making much sense.   It is some harmless fun that shows some homage to both the player and his fans to share.   It has nothing to do with mirroring society let alone anything worthy of you losing sleep over.  

You are also unclear on the concept of team sports.   A single player cannot make a team win a championship.   Most certainly they can play a large role in that success but there is no team sport when a player can do it by themselves.   In hockey, for a positional player for example, at best you are on the ice about 1/3 to 1/2 a game and so what happens when you are not on the ice is for the most part out of your control.   Your place in history is therefore predicated on having good teammates too boot?

Have fun on this one.   Not sure who you at trying to convince but it sure as H-E-Double Hockey Stick isn't working with me.   :)

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For the record, why does this bother you so much?   You would rather the Canucks retire the numbers of doctors or teachers?   

You are on quite the rant but are really not making much sense.   It is some harmless fun that shows some homage to both the player and his fans to share.   It has nothing to do with mirroring society let alone anything worthy of you losing sleep over.  

You are also unclear on the concept of team sports.   A single player cannot make a team win a championship.   Most certainly they can play a large role in that success but there is no team sport when a player can do it by themselves.   In hockey, for a positional player for example, at best you are on the ice about 1/3 to 1/2 a game and so what happens when you are not on the ice is for the most part out of your control.   Your place in history is therefore predicated on having good teammates too boot?

Have fun on this one.   Not sure who you at trying to convince but it sure as H-E-Double Hockey Stick isn't working with me.   :)

It bothers me because at a time when the team on the ice is making our franchise a laughing stock, management isn't helping with retiring jerseys of mediocre players and the Ring of (Dis)Honor. Jersey retirement is for life, forever, and players should be 100% deserving of the honor. No-one with their jersey currently retired fits that criteria - to me anyway - and I own Linden and Naslund jerseys in addition to Luongo, Dank and Hank jerseys.

I'm perfectly at one with how "team sports" work, thanks. I've witnessed this team fail to win anything for nearly 50 years. Truly great players - the guys whose jerseys you retire, who single-handedly won playoff games and Conn Smythes etc - those are the guys you retire the jerseys of.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone, I'm merely responding to people in the same way you are. The topic opened up, we're discussing it. We happen to differ on the standards we feel our team should have, but that's about it. And again, the 58 Vegas Strong are more worthy of jersey retirement than Naslund, Bure, Linden and Smyl. Combined. Vegas hasn't even been around a year and they're already a better-run franchise, with a better team to boot.

8 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

It bothers me because at a time when the team on the ice is making our franchise a laughing stock, management isn't helping with retiring jerseys of mediocre players and the Ring of (Dis)Honor. Jersey retirement is for life, forever, and players should be 100% deserving of the honor. No-one with their jersey currently retired fits that criteria - to me anyway - and I own Linden and Naslund jerseys in addition to Luongo, Dank and Hank jerseys.

I'm perfectly at one with how "team sports" work, thanks. I've witnessed this team fail to win anything for nearly 50 years. Truly great players - the guys whose jerseys you retire, who single-handedly won playoff games and Conn Smythes etc - those are the guys you retire the jerseys of.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone, I'm merely responding to people in the same way you are. The topic opened up, we're discussing it. We happen to differ on the standards we feel our team should have, but that's about it. And again, the 58 Vegas Strong are more worthy of jersey retirement than Naslund, Bure, Linden and Smyl. Combined. Vegas hasn't even been around a year and they're already a better-run franchise, with a better team to boot.

Good gawd you must be insecure.   Your team is not a "laughing stock" in the least.   Many in the league see the makings of one of the up and coming strong teams/organizations.   Your team was at the very top for nearly a decade and is not re-tooling.   No one laughs at that.   

Sure, invoke some societal event (innocent people losing their lives) and it will be more important in the grand scheme then grown men playing a game.   What a silly comparison.   Perhaps we should stop giving out Nobel Prizes in literature as they are not saving lives either.    What about the silliness of Oscars or sports scholarships.

Sounds like you found new team to root for anyway.   Don't let the door hit you too hard on the way out.

Silly troll.

39 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good gawd you must be insecure.   Your team is not a "laughing stock" in the least.   Many in the league see the makings of one of the up and coming strong teams/organizations.   Your team was at the very top for nearly a decade and is not re-tooling.   No one laughs at that.   

Sure, invoke some societal event (innocent people losing their lives) and it will be more important in the grand scheme then grown men playing a game.   What a silly comparison.   Perhaps we should stop giving out Nobel Prizes in literature as they are not saving lives either.    What about the silliness of Oscars or sports scholarships.

Sounds like you found new team to root for anyway.   Don't let the door hit you too hard on the way out.

Silly troll.

See, I'm not the one name-calling, or being so 'insecure' that something so simple as having a different opinion means I'm a 'troll'. It's exactly conversations like this that happen on social media every day - there's a reason why 'Canucks Twitter' is frequently denounced as a cesspit (and worse) by those both inside the market and out.

You think four people who never won a Cup, and who once looked good in a picture, deserve such recognition that no player in franchise history can ever wear their number again? I'd say that the numbers of Maki, Bourdon, Rypien and Gretzky are the only ones that should be in our rafters, and Naslund, Bure, Linden and Smyl in a Ring of Honor, but named something else like 'Legends Row'.

And back once again to the subject matter at hand, Luongo should never have his jersey retired. We will likely have a #1 who actually deserves it in future.

Just now, Captain Azzy said:

See, I'm not the one name-calling, or being so 'insecure' that something so simple as having a different opinion means I'm a 'troll'. It's exactly conversations like this that happen on social media every day - there's a reason why 'Canucks Twitter' is frequently denounced as a cesspit (and worse) by those both inside the market and out.

You think four people who never won a Cup, and who once looked good in a picture, deserve such recognition that no player in franchise history can ever wear their number again? I'd say that the numbers of Maki, Bourdon, Rypien and Gretzky are the only ones that should be in our rafters, and Naslund, Bure, Linden and Smyl in a Ring of Honor, but named something else like 'Legends Row'.

And back once again to the subject matter at hand, Luongo should never have his jersey retired. We will likely have a #1 who actually deserves it in future.

No, you are a troll because you come to a Canuck fan website to basically just slag all things Canucks, apparently for 50 years if the internet had been available back in your day, and then go further to ridicule the team's choices in honouring fan favourite players.   Further, you say you find the team embarrassing and feel more alignment to a new franchise.

If you don't think that is being a troll, you also need a new dictionary to go with your new team.

Having an opinion is one thing, being relentlessly aggressive in terms of attacking all things to a fanbase is not having an opinion it is, again, being troll.

Go ahead and respond, I won't see it.   You have entered my own "hall of fame" where those who have no opinions live.  Some call it an ignore function, I call it a place for those who are not interested in team but in creating a negative space for those who are.   Negative space away Captai Nazzy and your weird way of not-honouring Naslund!   :lol:

• Wat 1

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No, you are a troll because you come to a Canuck fan website to basically just slag all things Canucks, apparently for 50 years if the internet had been available back in your day, and then go further to ridicule the team's choices in honouring fan favourite players.   Further, you say you find the team embarrassing and feel more alignment to a new franchise.

If you don't think that is being a troll, you also need a new dictionary to go with your new team.

Having an opinion is one thing, being relentlessly aggressive in terms of attacking all things to a fanbase is not having an opinion it is, again, being troll.

Go ahead and respond, I won't see it.   You have entered my own "hall of fame" where those who have no opinions live.  Some call it an ignore function, I call it a place for those who are not interested in team but in creating a negative space for those who are.   Negative space away Captai Nazzy and your weird way of not-honouring Naslund!   :lol:

If you knew anything of me or my posts on CDC, you'd know that's not the case. Insult away, there are dozens of people on CDC - like the entirety of the CDC Puck league I'm a Commissioner of - who will tell you how positive I am about the team. I'd tag them here but the thread would be overrun with comments telling you you're wrong, so I instead invite you to our league page: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/383427-cdc-puck-201718/?page=165&tab=comments#comment-14350279

Matters on CDC I've gone against positive vibes re: Nucks: Sutter's contract / Vanek trade / asking players to waive NTCs / tanking. And this. Stating one's opinion isn't 'slagging', it's merely stating one's opinion. You clearly have an issue with people doing that.

If you have indeed blocked me for some weird reason, I'll ask some of my colleagues to get in touch. No reason for you to insult me, decide for yourself with no evidence that I'm some troll, then block me as if I've done something wrong. That's special thinking of the highest order if so.

FYI, the definition of a troll is as follows:

"...make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."

On this ONE matter, I disagree with you. I'm not being deliberately offensive, as it's neither offensive nor a deliberate ploy of mine to be arbitrary - it's simply my opinion. Whether you're upset or not, I couldn't care less about, although you're clearly angry about something here. That's on you - maybe you realise we shouldn't have so many jerseys retired, but can't now admit it? Either way, it doesn't matter to me, and I entirely respect the fact that you believe this franchise should have such low standards.

And if I wanted to honor Naslund, I'd have called myself Nazzy, not Azzy...you really do appear to have some strange agenda and it's not becoming of such a positive Canucks fan.

@Rob_Zepp I will disagree with @Captain Azzy here 100%. Naslund, Bure, Linden, and the Sedins meant the world to this organization and out of respect we should retire their numbers (Burr, Lu -> ROH).

But Azzy is no troll, and probably one of the board members here I respect the most. One can criticize and still be a fan, especially when they have sufficient reasoning for what they believe, and if I know Azzy, even when we disagree, he usually backs up his opinions with a line of reasoning.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

@Rob_Zepp I will disagree with @Captain Azzy here 100%. Naslund, Bure, Linden, and the Sedins meant the world to this organization and out of respect we should retire their numbers (Burr, Lu -> ROH).

But Azzy is no troll, and probably one of the board members here I respect the most. One can criticize and still be a fan, especially when they have sufficient reasoning for what they believe, and if I know Azzy, even when we disagree, he usually backs up his opinions with a line of reasoning.

There is no line of reasoning for crapping on a team's homage to their best players/fan favourites and then compare the action in terms of a mass shooting.    I don't care how good of a poster he/she is otherwise, that is trollike behavior.   

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There is no line of reasoning for crapping on a team's homage to their best players/fan favourites and then compare the action in terms of a mass shooting.    I don't care how good of a poster he/she is otherwise, that is trollike behavior.   

Again - and I don't know how many times I have to repeat this point - I believe this franchise should have loftier standards for jersey retirement than 'played in a Stanley Cup Final. Once'. Other franchises don't retire jerseys of Hall of Fame players, such are their standards. Management needs to set an example and say this: do something extraordinary, and no player will ever wear your number again. But many Canucks fans are happy that management has set such low standards, and that's fine, I just shouldn't have to agree with it to avoid being labelled a 'troll' who is 'crapping on a team's homage' or 'slagging all things Canucks'. I want the very best for this team, not the very average.

2 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

Again - and I don't know how many times I have to repeat this point - I believe this franchise should have loftier standards for jersey retirement than 'played in a Stanley Cup Final. Once'. Other franchises don't retire jerseys of Hall of Fame players, such are their standards. Management needs to set an example and say this: do something extraordinary, and no player will ever wear your number again. But many Canucks fans are happy that management has set such low standards, and that's fine, I just shouldn't have to agree with it to avoid being labelled a 'troll' who is 'crapping on a team's homage' or 'slagging all things Canucks'. I want the very best for this team, not the very average.

I don't think you have to explain yourself on this, it is pretty straightforward and i agree with a lot of your comments. Rob gets pretty emotional when someone says anything critical towards his team.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

Bure and Linden for certain.  And add the Twins.  Those four should be up in the rafters.  I really liked Naslund, and Smyle, but I agree with you about their sweaters.  

8 minutes ago, poetica said:

And in exciting fashion! That was also his 999th game.

Saw my app looked like a last minute goal under review, thought they tied it!

45 save effort against one of the best teams, pretty good night.  Had the shutty goin late

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JV77 said:

Saw my app looked like a last minute goal under review, thought they tied it!

45 save effort against one of the best teams, pretty good night.  Had the shutty goin late

Yeah he played really well, especially given that he'd played the night before. He made the saves and his team did their part making sure he could see them and then clearing rebounds. Ironically, it was a better team effort than some other games where Luo faced fewer shots. (And it's why it's infuriating when they don't play well, because they clearly can.) They gave Luo a chance to be great and he took it and ran with it.

Neither goal was Luo's fault and the second (non) goal came with like 0.5 second left. Luo made the save and had it under him. The play should have been blown at that point but I guess the ref was hoping to just run out the clock. Instead, a Pred put his stick in Luo's glove and turned Luo around, knocking the puck loose so another Pred could tap it in. I really thought they would let it stand even though it was goalie interference. I was pleasantly shocked that they got the call right.

It was a nice birthday gift for Luo, who is celebrating his 39th today.

Edited by poetica