The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

On 11/8/2015 at 10:41 PM, Noseforthenet said:

Realistically, Lundquist is the only one who can catch Marty.  As long as he plays til that age, he will. I have no doubt. It will be close though. I honestly believe Henrik will be the better by the end of it all. Marty had the benefit of all those Jersey teams with stifling defense. Henrik's teams are nowhere close. Lu will end his career top 3 and then be bumped down to 3 or 4 by the end of it.

Take out the shoot out wins and make them ties like they would have been through almsot all of Broduers career, and it changes everything.  There is a reason why 400 wins used to be considered a high water mark and a shoe-in for the HHOF territory.  Luongo has well over 50 wins that should be considered ties and he’s not a very good shoot-out goalie...well over 100 OT losses and wins should really be ties

Lunqvist on the other hand has feasted on the shoot out,piling up like 80 wins or something ridiculous.  Those should be removed from his win column and put in another newly created column next to ties.

MAF too.

Even with the extra wins nobody that is playing now has a chance to catch Marty, how many 30 and 40 win seasons did he have, and how many records does he hold? Almsot 700 wins...over two hundred more than third place on the list.    And his shut-outs per game played is outstanding too.  The trap and era somewhat defined him, but he was a top three goalie for most of his career..

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, IBatch said:

Take out the shoot out wins and make them ties like they would have been through almsot all of Broduers career, and it changes everything.  There is a reason why 400 wins used to be considered a high water mark and a shoe-in for the HHOF territory.  Luongo has well over 50 wins that should be considered ties and he’s not a very good shoot-out goalie...well over 100 OT losses and wins should really be ties

Lunqvist on the other hand has feasted on the shoot out,piling up like 80 wins or something ridiculous.  Those should be removed from his win column and put in another newly created column next to ties.

MAF too.

Even with the extra wins nobody that is playing now has a chance to catch Marty, how many 30 and 40 win seasons did he have, and how many records does he hold? Almsot 700 wins...over two hundred more than third place on the list.    And his shut-outs per game played is outstanding too.  The trap and era somewhat defined him, but he was a top three goalie for most of his career..

I think the situations kind of cancel themselves out. Lu's early career speaks for itself. All the way up until Van started kicking a$$  about 10 years ago or so. Brodeur and Henrik and their shoot out win totals kinda suck, but should still be respected. There's a reason why Grant Fuhr is still highly respected even. Most of it is holding the 1 goal wins. He was still not great, but he held his teams in. Just like Chris Osgood used to. Just because Lu doesn't have it between the ears to own it in high pressure situations like a shootout just reflects why he isn't even higher on the list. He should be. I can tell you this...if we could swap out prime Lu for prime Brodeur or King Henrik in 2011, I take that deal every time and we'd have a cup win. Winning is what matters. Not all the exceptions.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

I think the situations kind of cancel themselves out. Lu's early career speaks for itself. All the way up until Van started kicking a$$  about 10 years ago or so. Brodeur and Henrik and their shoot out win totals kinda suck, but should still be respected. There's a reason why Grant Fuhr is still highly respected even. Most of it is holding the 1 goal wins. He was still not great, but he held his teams in. Just like Chris Osgood used to. Just because Lu doesn't have it between the ears to own it in high pressure situations like a shootout just reflects why he isn't even higher on the list. He should be. I can tell you this...if we could swap out prime Lu for prime Brodeur or King Henrik in 2011, I take that deal every time and we'd have a cup win. Winning is what matters. Not all the exceptions.

I understand but that really wasn’t the point I was trying to make.  The point is games used to end in a tie, and before the shoot-out all the goalies that played were given a tie for it.  All games that have gone to a shoot-out now would have been ties before and the goalies got a tie column.  Therefore all the wins from a shoot-out aren’t really wins for a goalie when compared fairly to the ealier stats, same with the losses.  The shoot-out is more of a skills competition than anything, and I hoped it would have been abondoned by now but it looks here to stay. 

Compared to their peers properly (make all shoot-outs ties because that’s what they would be) and Lundqvist has 80ish less wins, Luongo about 55 less wins, MAF 40 and so on.  Roy’s 551 wins wouldn’t be affected, Broduer would lose a few wins AND losses but still be 100 or so wins ahead of Roy.  Luongo might not make 500, and MAF and Lundqvist likely wouldn’t either. They’d still be up there in all-time wins, but not nearly much as they have now. 

One could go go even further and do the same with OTs and losses, as for a long time OT didnt exist in eras when Sawchuk, Hall and Plante were playing. They would also be ties.  To do it right I’d make wins in parentheses both with OT and Shoot-outs and without.  That would give a more accurate version of a goaltenders stats.  The only argument could be that your play it differently, but not really, the shoot-out was created because teams were playing it safe to get a point the same we they are now to make sure they get to OT and don’t blow it....

The same should be done to teams points, all games that go to OT shouldn’t get a w for a comparative analysis, they should get a tie ... you’d find a lot less teams getting 100 points, and they wild cards  could get in with 85 or so points, which at one point wasn’t a bad season, 90 points used to be considered pretty good and 100 outstanding.  Wonder what season in Canucks history would stand up as the one with the most points when you take the loser point out AND take the win out and make it a tie.

It's wierd that the all time Canucks winningest goalie in all statistical categories would most likely retire and be remembered as a Panther considering the years he had there compared to here.

Edited by smokes

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 11:37 AM, smokes said:

It's wierd that the all time Canucks winningest goalie in all statistical categories would most likely retire and be remembered as a Panther considering the years he had there compared to here.

He's the franchise leader in pretty much all stats for both the teams.

I think it speaks to his consistency and skill as a player, the longevity of his career, and his dedication to his teams.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 3:16 AM, falcon45ca said:

He's the franchise leader in pretty much all stats for both the teams.

I think it speaks to his consistency and skill as a player, the longevity of his career, and his dedication to his teams.

and yet this city still crapped all over him when he was here

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

More like the team crumbled around him, when he needed them the most.

And don't get me started on DOPeS's intervention in the Finals...

When your team scores five goals and you make to to game seven it’s not your goaltending.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Squamfan said:

he he choked in the playoffs, when they needed him the most.

ya, if only he had stopped more goals in those games Vancouver got shut out.

if those two 4-0 games we lost had only been 1-0, and the 8-1 game has have been 2-1, maybe we would have won because ???

Edited by butters
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, butters said:

ya, if only he had stopped more goals in those games Vancouver got shut out.

if those two 4-0 games we lost had only been 1-0, and the 8-1 game has have been 2-1, maybe we would have won because ???

What if he had played extraordinary and matched Thomas' play? Gone into overtime 0-0?

Why was Luo the only one expected to up his game? Our scoring dried up and most of it came in a few games. The officiating was atrocious. Half of the team was injured and held together with stick tape and determination. And they were all exhausted, both psychically and emotionally because even the Canadian media was attacking them. But of course Luo was supposed to somehow turn into a super hero and win it single-handedly.

If Boston thought that way they would have never made it to the Finals to begin with...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, poetica said:

Why was Luo the only one expected to up his game? Our scoring dried up and most of it came in a few games. The officiating was atrocious. Half of the team was injured and held together with stick tape and determination. And they were all exhausted, both psychically and emotionally because even the Canadian media was attacking them. But of course Luo was supposed to somehow turn into a super hero and win it single-handedly.

If Boston thought that way they would have never made it to the Finals to begin with...

It sucks that we lost and the reffing didn’t give us more PPs (although we did get our opportunities, twice as many as Boston got) and it sucks that some fans were ready to trash our city.  However I won’t forget the hope and the elation when we were up in the series.  It was a beautiful time to be a fan.  Luongo is the best goalie we’ve ever had, and I count as one of the best moments as a Canuck fan the day we traded for him.  One the the best of his generation, his legacy isn’t that he lost in 2011, it’s that he won in 2010, and that he’s played at an elite level his entire career...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...