The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins and 3 on 3

Ray_Cathode

The Sedins, who were often the heroes of four on four are flops at three on three.  I think there are good reasons for that:

!: They are not good skaters and there is a lot of ice out there at 3 on 3.

2:  They often play deep and behind the net or on the end boards in the offensive zone, which makes it hard to get back.

3:  At 4 on 4 there were two defencemen to cover when the Sedins were deep.

4: at three on three there is only one D if both Sedins are out - hence out-manned opportunities on turn-overs - which the Sedins also seem to be doing a lot more of these days - like Daniel at his own blue-line - it is not that he made a physical mistake, it was an enormous mental one - what the heck is he doing diddling with the puck at the offensive blue-line with no-one behind him, and 20 seconds left.  The puck ges deep and secure the point.  After fifteen years in the league, he knows that, so why?  I know, that was not overtime, but the same principle holds.

5:  Why are the Sedins out there at three on three - neither of them are finishers any more, they are both play-makers - making a play to whom?

6:  Three on three requires skaters who can finish or at least skate enough to get back: Hansen, Burrows, Higgins, McCann

7: Why is Edler out there at 3 on 3 - he is not a great skater either, and he is the defender most likely to shoot the puck into the oppositions pads and have it bouce out behind him, then stumble and give up a breakaway.  Plus he is not particularly mobile nor a great play-maker.  We have a couple of guys who are great skaters on D for all that ice out there - Hutton and Bartkowski.  Oh yeah, Hutton is our highest point-scoring D man, and yet he is not on the first unit - and he tends to get his shots through and find open ice when in tight.

In conclusion, I really have to pin the blame for our complete failure at OT on the coaches - which I guess means WD.  I also think he is responsible in large part for Vrbata's total lack of confidence.  He is a finisher, didn't he belong with our best set-up men?  The reason I say that is that after repeated failure in OT, he keeps throwing out the same players - isn't there about the definition of insanity being in the face of failure that you keep doing the same stupid thing and expect different results?  Or is that stupidity?  Or is that too stubborn to admit he's wrong and change.

These were four points we should have taken easily - Benning and Linden have to know that.

Let's be real here. Most of the players on the team are very slow. The ones who are fast, are the kids. WD is a terrible coach, but you need to play your best players on 3 on 3. Yes, the Twins are too slow and bad defensively but they can create a lot with that space. It's too much of a wide open game and is more of a skills competition for team's superstars. I hate it, but those players you list probably aren't going to fair any better. 

7: Why is Edler out there at 3 on 3 - he is not a great skater either, and he is the defender most likely to shoot the puck into the oppositions pads and have it bouce out behind him, then stumble and give up a breakaway.

ed's thing now is to shoot the puck at another guy's shins, forget putting it on net D:

Let's be real here. Most of the players on the team are very slow. The ones who are fast, are the kids. WD is a terrible coach, but you need to play your best players on 3 on 3. Yes, the Twins are too slow and bad defensively but they can create a lot with that space. It's too much of a wide open game and is more of a skills competition for team's superstars. I hate it, but those players you list probably aren't going to fair any better. 

aab984ffad828cb7_giphy.gif

Hansen says 'Hi'.

The Sedins, who were often the heroes of four on four are flops at three on three.  I think there are good reasons for that:

!: They are not good skaters and there is a lot of ice out there at 3 on 3.

2:  They often play deep and behind the net or on the end boards in the offensive zone, which makes it hard to get back.

3:  At 4 on 4 there were two defencemen to cover when the Sedins were deep.

4: at three on three there is only one D if both Sedins are out - hence out-manned opportunities on turn-overs - which the Sedins also seem to be doing a lot more of these days - like Daniel at his own blue-line - it is not that he made a physical mistake, it was an enormous mental one - what the heck is he doing diddling with the puck at the offensive blue-line with no-one behind him, and 20 seconds left.  The puck ges deep and secure the point.  After fifteen years in the league, he knows that, so why?  I know, that was not overtime, but the same principle holds.

5:  Why are the Sedins out there at three on three - neither of them are finishers any more, they are both play-makers - making a play to whom?

6:  Three on three requires skaters who can finish or at least skate enough to get back: Hansen, Burrows, Higgins, McCann

7: Why is Edler out there at 3 on 3 - he is not a great skater either, and he is the defender most likely to shoot the puck into the oppositions pads and have it bouce out behind him, then stumble and give up a breakaway.  Plus he is not particularly mobile nor a great play-maker.  We have a couple of guys who are great skaters on D for all that ice out there - Hutton and Bartkowski.  Oh yeah, Hutton is our highest point-scoring D man, and yet he is not on the first unit - and he tends to get his shots through and find open ice when in tight.

In conclusion, I really have to pin the blame for our complete failure at OT on the coaches - which I guess means WD.  I also think he is responsible in large part for Vrbata's total lack of confidence.  He is a finisher, didn't he belong with our best set-up men?  The reason I say that is that after repeated failure in OT, he keeps throwing out the same players - isn't there about the definition of insanity being in the face of failure that you keep doing the same stupid thing and expect different results?  Or is that stupidity?  Or is that too stubborn to admit he's wrong and change.

These were four points we should have taken easily - Benning and Linden have to know that.

do you think 3 on 3 will count for much come playoffs? I'm thinking there could be some surprises in the top 16 this year

Wrong...so wrong...your the "Mayor" of Wrongsville. The team is super quick minus of course the Sedins, Burrows and Higgins. When your best players play slow and rely on their passing to make space then 3 on 3 is all about having space for your quicker players to make plays. When 2 slow players play 3 on 3 your asking way to much because when the puck is turned over and the way the Sedins have been playing with terrible focus they most certainly cannot get back to help. They should never ever see 3 on 3. Players to consider for the 3 on 3 should be Hansen, McCann, Vrbata, Virtanen, Horvat, Sutter and Baerstschi. I would put out McCann and Baertschi as 1 group, Horvat and Vrbata as another.

They are too slow to recover pucks in all that space.  They may be the guys with the most points - but only slightly on this team, and they have been getting almost all of the prime ice time.  When you get that ice time, their are NO options, you have to produce or it must be given to someone else.

I am being VERY REAL here: It is really annoying to hear from all of you fans that speak negative comments about the Sedins and 3-on-3 OT.

All of our players whether they are slow, fast, bad or good defensively, they are all GREAT players. I believe it is very rude to change up any of the 4 lines in OT that have been decided by WD for them to be playing with at the start of each game.

I have already said this once but I will say it again: I would like the Sedins and Vrbata to be our 1st 3 players to help us win our 1st 3-on-3 OT Victory this regular season no matter what team it is we are facing against and no matter how many of you say they don't have enough skill, speed or strength to play with each other and win us games in the NEW 3-ON-3 OT Format!!! :D

Something must be telling me right now most of you don't have faith (0% of Faith) that all of our 4 lines will be playing 3-on-3 as great as they have been playing 5-on-5 for most of the games through out the regular season.

I will start to hope our whole team will prove all of you Negative Commentators Wrong that all the same 4 Lines can play 3-on-3 OT Hockey as great as they ever have 5-on-5 REAL soon!

I must have the Most Faith for our team over all of you that I have been reading rude comments from so far!!!

Go Canucks Go! Please prove it 100% in front of all the haters, all the bad commentators and all the fans who have NO faith at all WRONG by having the weak, the slow moving and the bad defense right on the ice to show us all, they will be scoring us a Game Winning Goal in 3-on-3 OT Hockey real soon this regular season while working with their Same Linemates the Whole 65 Minutes!!! :D

Archived