The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Patrick Marleau would accept a trade to Rangers, Ducks or Kings

Per Kevin Kurz, Patrick Marleau would accept a trade and waive his NTC to the Rangers, Ducks or Kings:

Sharks forward Patrick Marleau would accept a trade to one of three teams, an NHL source has informed CSNCalifornia.com.

The New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings would all be locations that the Sharks’ all-time leading scorer would deem acceptable.

The Rangers have had scouts at the last two Sharks games, including Doug Risebrough on Tuesday night against the Islanders.

It’s unclear at this time whether Marleau, who has a no-trade clause, is pushing for the move, or whether the team initiated it. Marleau, who is in the second of a three-year, $20 million contract, does not have an agent.

On Saturday, Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada reported that Marleau could get moved from the only team he’s ever played for.

According to Friedman: “One of the names we’re hearing out there is Patrick Marleau. He’s got a no-movement clause. There’s zero evidence the Sharks have asked him to waive it so I can’t say who is pushing for it, but his name is definitely out there.”

In 14 games this season, Marleau has 9 points (4g, 5a) and a -2 rating. Originally drafted by the Sharks with the second overall pick in 1997, he is the franchise’s all-time leading scorer with 997 points in 1343 games.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/source-sharks-marleau-would-accept-trade-one-three-teams

3 years to late for any decent return. Can those 3 teams even fit him into their cap? Damn I miss Capgeek.

Anaheim can make it work. And the Rangers always find cap space. The Ducks have a lot of good prospects to get this done, as do the Rangers. Would love to see him go to New York.

Anaheim can make it work. And the Rangers always find cap space. The Ducks have a lot of good prospects to get this done, as do the Rangers. Would love to see him go to New York.

The Ducks are obviously struggling right now, and are pretty strong down the right side, I don't know enough about Friberg or Wagner to say it's an upgrade. Certainly no reason for any team to do anything until the deadline I suppose. 

I really don't see the Sharks trading to a team in their own division. Trading him to the Rangers in the East is more likely to happen and makes more sense.

Really? It's not like he's an up and comer who could haunt them for years to come. If I were the Wilson I'd go for the highest bid just for the return, considering he and Thornton will likely generate quite little when all is said and done.

It’s unclear at this time whether Marleau, who has a no-trade clause, is pushing for the move, or whether the team initiated it. Marleau, who is in the second of a three-year, $20 million contract, does not have an agent.

Considering the fact that he prefers to go to one of the other Cali teams,  it's safe to assume that it was the Sharks that approached Marleau about moving on. That definitely ties the team's hands so I can't see them getting a whole lot out of the Rangers. On top of that, the Rangers prospect pool is very shallow.

Considering the fact that he prefers to go to one of the other Cali teams,  it's safe to assume that it was the Sharks that approached Marleau about moving on. That definitely ties the team's hands so I can't see them getting a whole lot out of the Rangers. On top of that, the Rangers prospect pool is very shallow.

If the rangers don't win a cup they are going to be in the same position we are/have been in for the last few seasons very soon.

agreed .   why else would he have a reason to go ?

Archived