The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How To Increase Scoring???

Nuxfanabroad

New? Not too likely.

Goalie pads are too large. Problem is reducing the size of shoulder/chest and leg pads would likely result in an increase in starting goalies being injured. While that may indirectly lead to an increase in scoring, it would be the wrong way to go about it. 

The safest way that comes to mind is one of the most blasphemous: increase the size of the net.

Personally speaking I don't think I like the idea, but this way the goalies can stay protected with larger pads while players have more openings to shoot for. Are there any sports physio or trainers here that can suggest a net being a few inches wider would lead to an increase in groin injuries or what not?

Puck possession in the offensive zone is obviously important, and Ron Francis addressed that in March by suggesting that players on the defensive side of center put their sticks down first. That small something could increase possession, and goals, over a large sample size.

Switching the long change to 1st and 3rd instead of just the 2nd, although that might turn an already long season into an even longer one though if players are that much more fatigued on a nightly basis.

Ironically the coaches challenge could slightly reduce the goals per game, but at least the goals tallied should be good ones.

If it's able to be proven that a net increase won't necessarily result in an increase in goaltender injuries then I might be for it. Messing with the protective equipment of a player facing 100 mph slappers seems to be unpopular. 

I guess none of that is new.

Love the history of the NHL game(especially pre 1980), but the 'traditionalists' drive me nuts.

Nothing about the players/equipment is similar to a couple generations ago..yet the net has to stay the same since WW1.

I say alter things 'til you get goals scored/game around 7~8 avg, & then keep it there. There are many ways to achieve this(not rocket science), but then the traditionalists get all worked up.

Used to be fun watching a star wind up, when goin down the wing-you knew he had a decent chance to blow one past. Now it's like blasting a puck into a mammoth sofa. Wonder what % of goals are chippy, deflecting-pinball, garden-variety? Also easier for the league to manage games, by turning the crease into an overly-officiated, rugby scrum. Especially where some goons/months are more equal than others.

I argue that new tech's, amazing camera capability has kept this game afloat. Was such a great game(with the new TV twists) was almost impossible to F*** it up-but Bentman(& his stooges) sure tried.

Had they made the necc changes(early 90's) these last coupla' decades could have been epic.

Argue away, if need be. Just one person's opinion.

So yeah, you think a well-played 1-0 game is "just as exciting as, blah x3"..I don't care. Personally, I've LONG wanted more offence in the game. Hear the bigwigs are discussing this, nowadays.

It's turned into soccer on ice.

Please post any ideas on the subject..anyone got anything new? Fire away...

umm... 13/16 games we've played this year have had 5 or more goals scored and the other 3 have had at least 3 goals.  So I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say there isn't enough scoring and complain about 1-0 games when we haven't been in any and there have only been like 3-4 all season for the whole league. 

Unless of course you would rather have lacrosse scores of like 10-11 it seems like you're just complaining for the sake of complaining. 

umm... 13/16 games we've played this year have had 5 or more goals scored and the other 3 have had at least 3 goals.  So I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say there isn't enough scoring and complain about 1-0 games when we haven't been in any and there have only been like 3-4 all season for the whole league. 
Unless of course you would rather have lacrosse scores of like 10-11 it seems like you're just complaining for the sake of complaining. 

make goalie equipment smaller, and make nets TALLER.  This will force goalies to stand up.  Plus more goals from the wings too, forcing teams to NOT stack in front of their net.  

I've never seen either of those games being played so I'm clueless to this post.

teams play a pile ourselves in front on our net to defend concept.  Higher nets would not allow for that, forcing teams to move away from the piling to actually playing defence.  Do you know box lacrosse?  Watch that, and you will see piling at its worst.  The game slows to a crawl, while one team moves the ball around the perimiter.  Basketball too.  One team piles, while the other team moves the ball around the perimiter.  The idea behind bigger nets is to open up the front of the net.  Teams would be forced to move out from their defensive pile (shell) and play perimiter defence.  The NBA accomplished this (somwhat) with their illegal defence rule, where the defenders can't just stand under their basket, and providing a three point line.  We simply need to make our nets taller, and the game will open up.

Reduce the over pillowed stuffing of goalie pads. Put each goalie pad through one of those type of measuring basket type things like airlines use for carry on luggage...if it doesn't fit you can't use them. We all know goalies are cheating. Measure before and after each game and penalize any teams caught cheating. Fines and or suspensions. 

The pads look six feet across and 4 feet high...like the Great Wall of China in the crease.

teams play a pile ourselves in front on our net to defend concept.  Higher nets would not allow for that, forcing teams to move away from the piling to actually playing defence.  Do you know box lacrosse?  Watch that, and you will see piling at its worst.  The game slows to a crawl, while one team moves the ball around the perimiter.  Basketball too.  One team piles, while the other team moves the ball around the perimiter.  The idea behind bigger nets is to open up the front of the net.  Teams would be forced to move out from their defensive pile (shell) and play perimiter defence.  The NBA accomplished this (somwhat) with their illegal defence rule, where the defenders can't just stand under their basket, and providing a three point line.  We simply need to make our nets taller, and the game will open up.

I think one way to solve this is making the crease bigger. It makes the slot smaller which you think would just push guys toward the perimeter more, but I think it would spread guys out evenly, it would make the perimeter smaller and harder to hide the puck along the boards. I also think making the neutral zone zone slightly bigger would push the defenders closer to the net from the point, involving them with the play more.

Make goalie equipment about safety, not about blocking. Pants and chest protector form fitted instead of square loose and bulky. Get rid of the "cheater" on the goalie glove, reduce the overall size of the glove and make it less square, again more about protection than blocking, same with blocker. Do the same with the leg pads, and voila you have more scoring

The notion  that goalies will be getting more injured more frequently is nonsense. As long as the equipment is designed properly there would be no problem at all.

Contract teams. Get rid of players like Tanner Glass who are basically AHLers with NHL spots because there isn't enough talent to go around. I also think right now the NHL is also suffering from weak drafting classes in recent years, like 2012 or 2011. No real super stars yet from either draft, which isn't helping with scoring.

Contract teams. Get rid of players like Tanner Glass who are basically AHLers with NHL spots because there isn't enough talent to go around. I also think right now the NHL is also suffering from weak drafting classes in recent years, like 2012 or 2011. No real super stars yet from either draft, which isn't helping with scoring.

I've been saying this for years we should never have gone past 28. And even among the 28 teams some are struggling and could be moved to stronger markets. But Bettman will never allow the league to contract nor with the NHLPA. 

Archived