The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prust's wife, Maripier Morin, was devastated to hear Prust got traded.

Armada

Maripier Morin says she 'was demolished' by Brandon Prust trade

MONTREAL, QUE.: JUNE 5, 2014 -- Montreal Canadiens player Brandon Prust and girlfriend Maripier Morin arrive at at The Grand Evening party to kickoff the Canadian Grand Prix weekend at the L'Arsenal in Montreal on Thursday, June 5, 2014. (Dario Ayala / THE GAZETTE)

Photograph by: Dario Ayala , Montreal Gazette

Maripier Morin has watched only one Habs game this season, and that’s only because the Canadiens were playing the Vancouver Canucks, her fiancé Brandon Prust’s new team.

But she insists she’s not bitter about the trade in July that sent Prust from the Canadiens to the Canucks.

I just don’t understand why they traded him,” Morin said by phone Tuesday. “When I met Brandon, I was not a hockey fan. So I started my fan life as a Rangers fan. (Prust was playing with the New York Rangers at the time.) So when Brandon signed in Montreal, I became a Canadiens fan. So to me, it’s not weird to switch to Vancouver or any other team he’s going to play with.

“My real dream, my fantasy, would be for him to sign a two-year deal in Toronto and then to play for the Nordiques for the rest of his career.” (Morin hails from Quebec City.)

Prust will become a free agent at the end of this National Hockey League season, and Morin would love it if he signed with the Maple Leafs. His family is in London, Ont., and it would be a lot easier for her to make the trek to Toronto to visit him, compared to schlepping across the country to see him in Vancouver.

In the third episode of the W Network reality series Hockey Wives‘ second season, Morin fights back tears as she talks about how she felt this summer when they got the news that Prust had been shipped out west by the Habs.

“It was like going from being the happiest girl in the world to the saddest,” she says in the episode, which aired Wednesday, Nov. 11.

They were holidaying in Italy and had just got engaged 10 days earlier. They were relaxing in Rome, getting ready to go to dinner, when Prust saw some tweets saying Zack Kassian had been traded to Montreal. Then he saw he was going in the other direction, in return for Kassian. Next came the phone call from Habs general manager Marc Bergevin. In the space of a few minutes, Morin felt like her life had fallen apart.

She was signed to do two TV shows ici this fall — the nightly music show Faites comme chez vous on TVA and Code F. on Vrak — so it was out of the question for her to move with Prust to Vancouver.

“We were so happy, everything was perfect, then we got the phone call from Bergevin, and I felt at that specific moment that my whole world had collapsed,” said Morin. “That I’d lost everything I had. I knew my fall would be so busy that I wouldn’t be able to go visit him. Vancouver isn’t Toronto. It’s a seven-hour flight. I was demolished.”

In the Hockey Wives episode, she’s seen having lunch with Keshia Chanté, the girlfriend of NHL goalie Ray Emery. When Chanté tells her long-distance relationships simply don’t work, Morin looks devastated.

The problem is that Morin — who’s been working in the TV biz here for years — is in the midst of her biggest year ever as a television personality.

Read more: http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/maripier-morin-says-she-was-demolished-by-brandon-prust-trade#ixzz3rJMIOXdE

People always forget that families play a huge roll in a players life and choice on where he plays. Does this mean we won't see Prust back next season? 

she was just on 1040, sounds like she's going to be interviewing for a job in Vancouver in December

Really? Crazy.  By any chance that you have the link for interview (or tid bit)?  Not that I don't believe you, I just want to listen to the whole thing.

Really? Crazy.  By any chance that you have the link for interview (or tid bit)?  Not that I don't believe you, I just want to listen to the whole thing.

It's not there now but it should be up on the TSN website soon 

The job thing was a follow up to what was said during Prust's 1st interview after the trade, I thought they were just blowing smoke at the time, I guess not.

Wow she is a real high maintenance head case.

Also the recipient of the Prust Thrust.

Oh suck it up princess and be grateful you have a man that prob spoils you from the job you're bitching about.

Yeah because if you suddenly got the news that your wife/husband had to move across the country I'm sure you'd be totally happy about it.  While I'm sure she knew it was a possibility due to the nature of the job, that doesn't it make it less emotionally difficult.

Yeah because if you suddenly got the news that your wife/husband had to move across the country I'm sure you'd be totally happy about it.  While I'm sure she knew it was a possibility due to the nature of the job, that doesn't it make it less emotionally difficult.

She must be happy to know that you've got her back on the CDC. Soldier on!

He's a hockey player FFS! He's gone for 41 games a season. She'd be used to it by now.

Archived