The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Matt Duchene might be moved?

Pears

Calgary could package up a nice offer too. Monahan/Duchene 1-2 punch would be nice for them.

Honestly though, we could trade a Hamhuis package for Duchene if management is willing to. Pre-agreement Hamhuis signs with them or some sort condition to turn into a 1st round pick.

Calgary could package up a nice offer too. Monahan/Duchene 1-2 punch would be nice for them.

Honestly though, we could trade a Hamhuis package for Duchene if management is willing to. Pre-agreement Hamhuis signs with them or some sort condition to turn into a 1st round pick.

if we only gave up Hammer from our D than I'm in.  What else would they want: McCann?

if we only gave up Hammer from our D than I'm in.  What else would they want: McCann?

wouldn't make much sense from the Canucks pov to. McCann has 2 less points than Duchene. Would rather keep McCann than trade him + Hamhuis for Duchene. 

More realistic to offer a prospect like Gaunce/Cassels/Shinkaruk with some sort of condition on Hamhuis or a predetermined extension for their sake of security.

wouldn't make much sense from the Canucks pov to. McCann has 2 less points than Duchene. Would rather keep McCann than trade him + Hamhuis for Duchene. 

More realistic to offer a prospect like Gaunce/Cassels/Shinkaruk with some sort of condition on Hamhuis or a predetermined extension for their sake of security.

God, if that's all it would take to get The Doush (I named him already for our team) then let's go and get him for heaven's sake.

I'm all for giving them Edler + Cassels + 2nd rounder for Duchene. Just highly doubt Edler would waive his NTC. If he didn't want to waive it to go to Detroit a few years ago and play with all those Swedes I don't think Colorado will entice him enough. We'd have an excess in C down the middle which means we could later use Horvat or McCann down the road as a trading chip for a stud Dman. Boom! That's team built to win the cup

Man, giving up Hamhuis instead of Edler would be too perfect. I originally thought of that but figured they'd rather have Edler. Sign me up if it's Hamhuis+Gaunce/Shinkaruk+1st/2nd. 

and a pick(s) ranging from 1st/2nd/3rd depending on if an extension is agreed upon or some sort of condition.

what's the hold up then?  Hammer, Guance, and the second we got from Columbus for Duchene.  DO IT NOW!

then we would have our Henrik replacement.  Okay now my furry behind is quivering with excitement!

If I'm JB, I'd try to work out a multi-player deal with Colorado...

To COL: Vrbata, Edler, Shinkaruk and Columbus's 2nd

To VAN: Duchene, Nikita Zadorov

Rationale:

Colorado needs: (i) a top 4 LHD in Edler; (ii) to replace scoring, so perhaps Vrbata's the answer; (iii) need to replace youth, so perhaps Shink's the answer; (iv) and everybody loves 1st and 2nd draft picks in a trade to be sent their way.

Vancouver needs: (i) bona fide no. 1 offensive center to replace Henrik; (ii) defence prospect with a legit shot of being a top 4.

For the Canucks, it's either Shinkarunk or Baertschi...Baertschi looks to have the inside track; Edler is too inconsistent to be relied upon...you never know if it's good Edler or bad Edler that's going to show up; Columbus' second was a free gift...it's something I'd be willing to turn into a player like Matt Duchene.  With this deal, the Canucks lose two roster players, and gain one (vice versa for Colorado), but IMO, the Canucks get the best player in the trade and swap a high level forward prospect for a high level d-prospect.  Sbisa is coming back soon, and I actually think his game is somewhat similar to Edler's game (both are wildly inconsistent to boot).

Plus, Canucks shed $10M in cap space and take on $6M and Colorado has lots of cap space.  With or without Edler on the backend, the Canucks D is bad.  I honestly don't think it would get any worse if Edler was out of the lineup.  I just hope the NHL GMs don't share my opinion of Edler.

Daniel -- Henrik -- Sutter

Baertschi -- Duchene -- Burrows

Higgins -- Horvat -- Hansen

Prust -- McCann -- Dorsett

Cracknell and Virtanen

Hamhuis (yikes) -- Tanev

Sbisa (yikes) -- Hutton

Bartkowski -- Weber (yikes)

Zadorov -- Biega

If I'm JB, I'd try to work out a multi-player deal with Colorado...

To COL: Vrbata, Edler, Shinkaruk and Columbus's 2nd

To VAN: Duchene, Nikita Zadorov

Rationale:

Colorado needs: (i) a top 4 LHD in Edler; (ii) to replace scoring, so perhaps Vrbata's the answer; (iii) need to replace youth, so perhaps Shink's the answer; (iv) and everybody loves 1st and 2nd draft picks in a trade to be sent their way.

Vancouver needs: (i) bona fide no. 1 offensive center to replace Henrik; (ii) defence prospect with a legit shot of being a top 4.

For the Canucks, it's either Shinkarunk or Baertschi...Baertschi looks to have the inside track; Edler is too inconsistent to be relied upon...you never know if it's good Edler or bad Edler that's going to show up; Columbus' second was a free gift...it's something I'd be willing to turn into a player like Matt Duchene.  With this deal, the Canucks lose two roster players, and gain one (vice versa for Colorado), but IMO, the Canucks get the best player in the trade and swap a high level forward prospect for a high level d-prospect.  Sbisa is coming back soon, and I actually think his game is somewhat similar to Edler's game (both are wildly inconsistent to boot).

Plus, Canucks shed $10M in cap space and take on $6M and Colorado has lots of cap space.  With or without Edler on the backend, the Canucks D is bad.  I honestly don't think it would get any worse if Edler was out of the lineup.  I just hope the NHL GMs don't share my opinion of Edler.

Daniel -- Henrik -- Sutter

Baertschi -- Duchene -- Burrows

Higgins -- Horvat -- Hansen

Prust -- McCann -- Dorsett

Cracknell and Virtanen

Hamhuis (yikes) -- Tanev

Sbisa (yikes) -- Hutton

Bartkowski -- Weber (yikes)

Zadorov -- Biega

would they want Edler?

This guy is exactly what the Canucks need. He is young, he has speed, he is smart on and off the puck, he plays 'good' defense, and he is capable of putting up 70+ points, already doing so once, in his short NHL career. 

Imaging having Bo, Duchene, McCann, and Sutter down the middle?  We would instantly be one of the deepest teams down the middle in the NHL.

I don't see Edler willing to waive his NTC, however, I imagine Hamhuis would. I would be willing to move Hamhuis, Cassels, 2016 2nd/3rd. 

This guy is exactly what the Canucks need. He is young, he has speed, he is smart on and off the puck, he plays 'good' defense, and he is capable of putting up 70+ points, already doing so once, in his short NHL career. 

Imaging having Bo, Duchene, McCann, and Sutter down the middle?  We would instantly be one of the deepest teams down the middle in the NHL.

I don't see Edler willing to waive his NTC, however, I imagine Hamhuis would. I would be willing to move Hamhuis, Cassels, 2016 2nd/3rd. 

I read earlier that they would want no less than Tanev.

Before suggesting that Hammer might be the solution for the Av's blue-line woes (which would be great news for us if we could get Duchene in return), I'm curious to hear from Av's fans who post here like Man Utd. about what the Av's believe they have in Nick Holden and Nikita Zadorov.  

Holden looked like someone who had emerged after putting up 25 points in 54 games, and even this season recorded stats has him at 8 assists in 15 games.  Does Av's management fear that he's bound to have off-season/ regressions, believe that he's better suited for bottom-pairing duties, or both, and is that the reason for their desire to upgrade their D?  Also, wasn't Zadorov acquired to be a long-term top-4 solution?  Have they given up on him already, or is his playing showing that he isn't ready for such major duties?

Bottom line, just find it odd that their management could've given up on two internal candidates for bigger roles, but if their interest in Hammer leads to Duchene coming here, then I'd welcome it. 

Archived