The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shooting & Explosions in France

Tortorella's Rant

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Big difference between Canadians who just happens to belong to the Muslim faith versus people on the other side of the world who takes it a tad too serious.  I mean, I have a Muslim friend who eats a bacon cheeseburger once in a while.  He said it's okay as long as he doesn't eat it at home.  But then again, he's not the type of Muslim most people are worried about. 

As for the polls...

gsi2-chp1-3

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/

Not saying they're all terrorists, but their position on the spectrum of values are vastly different from ours.  Moderate from them might not necessarily mean moderate for us. 

In my wife's LINC class, she has a classmate who is from Palestine.  He's Muslim and is very moderate.  Very polite to everyone, dress the same as you and me.  You can't even identify his nationality or religious background unless he told you.  Vehemently against terrorism and anything associated with it.  Yet at the same time, his wife and daughter wears the niqab, and I don't think they can hang out with other dudes.  Not saying he's a bad guy, since he's not, but as modern and relatively liberal as he is, it's still very far from the regular norms we expect in Canada. 

Just saying, if I told everyone here that I demand/expect my wife to not leave home to be in the presence of any other male and I pretty much choose her choice of clothes, most people here would automatically picture me as some drunk dude wearing a wifebeater and probably with a wild temper. 

Cmon... Have you had the chance to talk to this persons wife or daughter who wear niqabs? Or do you just assume like everyone else that they are yearning for a knight in shining armor to rescue them from there violent/evil husband who is totally normal in the general public. If you ask almost any Muslim woman I'm pretty sure they would tell you it's a personal choice rather then them being forced into this.

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Why would this be a problem? Especially if the beef was halal?

It's pork Muslims do not eat.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yeah.... he's "Muslim", but just doesn't really follow the faith.  In the sense that someone who may be "Christian", yet probably never goes to church, supports gay marriage and most likely never read the Bible, pretty much the Average Joe.  The point I'm getting across is that his core value is based on what Canada's core values are (the standard Chartered Rights, Liberty, etc), not based on some religious text or some cultural practices which are a few centuries behind the West.

1 hour ago, Lockout Casualty said:

Oh man. How much of your values do you share with the Tea Party? Actually, don't answer that. 

You know misogynistic societies aren't limited to Muslims, right? My close friend's family is pretty backward Christian. Mom cooked and popped babies out, wears a head cover to this day, and has no say about anything, ever. Same with sister. Same with half their clan (8 kids, some siblings have around a dozen of their own, you do the math). Yet, for some reason most second generation Muslims in Canada are indistinguishable from the rest of the population. Second? Even first, short of wearing their traditional garb.

There was a time in Canada when Canadians were afraid of Irish Catholics. Ukrainians. Jews. Vietnamese boat people. Indians. All looking for refuge. Today it's Muslims Syrians.

You know, if you told everyone that, nobody would actually try to kick you out of Canada for not sharing "Canadian Values". You can be as redneck white trash as you want, and a Muslim can be as backward as he wants to be. In Canada, we live and let live. Isn't that one of the most important of these "Canadian Values"? We have laws to keep people from crossing lines and jails to punish ones who do. 

Funny you should mention the Tea Party.  I agree with the decrease in government spending, reduction of taxes, pro-responsible firearms ownership, more freedom and responsibilities placed back on the individual rather than the government.  Good try in attempting to insinuate that I might be some redneck, bible thumping, gun-toting, conspiracy wacko.... I'm actually a 2nd generation Asian, atheist, doing my post-grad, Conservative/Libertarian with an immigrant wife.... so yeah....

Your friend's family can do whatever, since I don't think they wish to enforce their point-of-view on you or anyone else.  But there are lots of people out there who disagrees with the West and will do whatever they can to impose their views on others. 

18 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Yeah.... he's "Muslim", but just doesn't really follow the faith.  In the sense that someone who may be "Christian", yet probably never goes to church, supports gay marriage and most likely never read the Bible, pretty much the Average Joe.  The point I'm getting across is that his core value is based on what Canada's core values are (the standard Chartered Rights, Liberty, etc), not based on some religious text or some cultural practices which are a few centuries behind the West.

Funny you should mention the Tea Party.  I agree with the decrease in government spending, reduction of taxes, pro-responsible firearms ownership, more freedom and responsibilities placed back on the individual rather than the government.  Good try in attempting to insinuate that I might be some redneck, bible thumping, gun-toting, conspiracy wacko.... I'm actually a 2nd generation Asian, atheist, doing my post-grad, Conservative/Libertarian with an immigrant wife.... so yeah....

Your friend's family can do whatever, since I don't think they wish to enforce their point-of-view on you or anyone else.  But there are lots of people out there who disagrees with the West and will do whatever they can to impose their views on others. 

You sound like a good Canadian to me, and that's what is important.  It does not matter our point of origin.  We are here now, sharing this country.  A country that encourages open political debate.  A country where even the most foolish have the right to express their stupidity.  

43 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Well you certainly don't share those values with me, and I happen to live in Canada. The point wasn't to insinuate you're anything, it was to show how there are no values we all share in the west, and in particular in Canada.

Do these Syrian refugees want to impose their view on you? Do all Muslims? You presented an example of a Muslim whose wife and daughter wear the niquab. I presented an example of a Christian family that shares similar values to the aforementioned Palestinian Muslim. I don't get the feeling he's forcing his views on anyone, seeing as he's sharing a class with your wife, who I can only assume isn't dressed in a niquab. 

So what's the real issue here? Are you really afraid that Muslims that come to Canada will want to impose Shariah law on you? Please.

1 hour ago, TheFirstLine said:

Cmon... Have you had the chance to talk to this persons wife or daughter who wear niqabs? Or do you just assume like everyone else that they are yearning for a knight in shining armor to rescue them from there violent/evil husband who is totally normal in the general public. If you ask almost any Muslim woman I'm pretty sure they would tell you it's a personal choice rather then them being forced into this.

LOL Yes, I am sure Muslim women get a choice, especially in the Middle East. Obey or face punishment (which can be death) Apostasy is against the law in many Islamic nations.

PF_14.05.28_blasphemy-apostasy_apostasy6

1 minute ago, Mustapha said:

LOL Yes, I am sure Muslim women get a choice, especially in the Middle East. Obey or face punishment (which can be death) Apostasy is against the law in many Islamic nations.

PF_14.05.28_blasphemy-apostasy_apostasy6

People choose to do all kinds of things that are culturally normal to them, but appear plain wrong to an outsider. Said women in the Middle East likely do choose to wear head coverings because it's the cultural norm. It's not about misogynistic men forcing women to anything, the patriarchal society has done that for them. 

It wasn't that long where western women were treated just like Muslims women. This is part of the reason I so welcome refugees in Canada. I am convinced that our ways are better than theirs, but for us to affect their ways, we need to make the first move. Bring these people here and I'm certain our way of life will leave a lasting impression on them, whether they choose to stay or return. 

5 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

People choose to do all kinds of things that are culturally normal to them, but appear plain wrong to an outsider. Said women in the Middle East likely do choose to wear head coverings because it's the cultural norm. It's not about misogynistic men forcing women to anything, the patriarchal society has done that for them. 

It wasn't that long where western women were treated just like Muslims women. This is part of the reason I so welcome refugees in Canada. I am convinced that our ways are better than theirs, but for us to affect their ways, we need to make the first move. Bring these people here and I'm certain our way of life will leave a lasting impression on them, whether they choose to stay or return. 

Something tells me you haven't been seeing what happening in Europe. Sweden, Finland, Germany and even the UK

Even from the vice.  A media site you likely are very fond of.

It appears that two revelations are surfacing in the aftermath of the attacks. The first being that refugees had nothing to do with these attacks.

The second, and in my opinion deserving of much discussion around the world if true, is that these terrorists didn't use encryption. Apparently, the attacks were carried out using un-encrypted SMS and code words, and not sophisticated methods to hide and protect their data. Thanks to a cell phone found by the stadium, used by one of the attackers, they were able to find the leader of the attacks and kill him (TBC it was him, but they did find their safe house). The same leader that apparently lost a cellphone full of pictures and videos last year that was obtained by a journalist. Does this make sense in light of what our governments have been feeding us for years? I really don't think so.

I hope this is a subject that doesn't get swept aside when the news cycle moves on. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is not the clueless one usually the one who makes the accusation?

I don't know! 

"I acknowledge that good, well-meaning people who genuinely care about Syrian refugees can have perfectly valid concerns about the security risk of bringing in tens of thousands of people from a war zone. It is as large an undertaking as it sounds. 

So, I did some research and here are some facts: 

1. Refugees coming to Canada will undergo three separate screening processes. 

First, they are selected from those screened by the United Nations High Commission on Refugees. The UNHCR uses sophisticated anti-fraud tools like biometrics. 

Second, they are interviewed before coming to Canada. 

Third, once in Canada, they are screened by Canada's security services. 

Thanks to these precautions, security experts say the chances of an ISIS terrorist getting through are infinitesimal. 

2. Canada is prioritizing families (particularly female-headed households), unaccompanied minors and the sick, not single individuals. 

These groups were selected because they pose the least risk of radicalization. 

3. Not accepting refugees is an even greater threat to national security. 

According to leading experts in national security, terrorism, radicalization and intelligence like Munk School of Public Affairs Prof. Wesley Wark and Georgetown University Prof. Anne Speckhard, filthy and unsafe refugee camps are hotbeds for extremism. 

Perhaps not surprisingly, terrorists find it remarkably easy to recruit fighters in squalid and hopeless camps teeming with desperate and disenfranchised people. 

According to Prof. Speckhard: “Experience from many conflict zones teaches us that the longer these refugees are left to languish in despair in camps the more prone they become to radicalization.”

4. Accepting refugees strikes a blow at ISIS. 

ISIS relies on extortion and the taxes they collect from the vast swaths of territory they control. “They want to stop the refugee process because one of their main sources of income in the ISIS-controlled territory is taxation of the people there, extortion of the people there," according to University of Ottawa law professor Errol Mendes.  

If, in light of these new facts, you still want to talk about security as a reason for keeping Syrian refugees out, you need to acknowledge that you're not afraid of terrorists, you're afraid of brown people".

http://globalnews.ca/news/2342471/should-canada-stop-bringing-in-syrian-refugees-because-of-the-paris-attacks-experts-say-no/

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/29/opinion/how-dragging-our-feet-on-refugees-creates-more-terrorists.html?referer=&_r=0

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/trudeau-wants-to-stick-to-jan-1-deadline-to-admit-syrian-refugees-1.2662486

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

2 hours ago, Lockout Casualty said:

Without a doubt .   Talking with new immigrants in the neighborhood they are over the moon with joy not having to dodge bullets and go through security check points, their kids can go to an actual school, women can read books and speak their minds, bombs are not dropping in their hood, their neighbors (Me) treat them like humans etc.

After all is that not what this country was built on, people wanting a better life.

2 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Without a doubt .   Talking with new immigrants in the neighborhood they are over the moon with joy not having to dodge bullets and go through security check points, their kids can go to an actual school, women can read books and speak their minds, bombs are not dropping in their hood, their neighbors (Me) treat them like humans etc.

After all is that not what this country was built on, people wanting a better life.

Absolutely! I remember when I was at the citizenship ceremony and there was a lady from Africa who cried when talking to the judge. I overheard a little, but the gist I got was that she was a refugee escaping a horrible situation, was at a refugee camp for months, not like these people in Syria. I didn't hear much of what she said, but even still I got a little chocked up. People deserve better. 

Just now, Lockout Casualty said:

Absolutely! I remember when I was at the citizenship ceremony and there was a lady from Africa who cried when talking to the judge. I overheard a little, but the gist I got was that she was a refugee escaping a horrible situation, was at a refugee camp for months, not like these people in Syria. I didn't hear much of what she said, but even still I got a little chocked up. People deserve better. 

Ha I was gonna use my new Sudanese neighbors as an example. I walked across the street held out my hand said "Welcome to the neighborhood and if you need anything at all dont hesitate to knock on my door." 

The lady literally started to cry, her husband ran out thinking something was wrong,  she explained and he hugged me as hard as i have ever been hugged.

Regardless of what the cesspool of media is trying to portray people world wide have the exact same goal.....

https://media.giphy.com/media/IL4iTvQH0MjS/giphy.gif

If they stay in camps or in their obliterated communities they have a strong chance of being recruitment targets or simply join a cause as they have no alternative way of survival.

one becomes a product of ones environment. If a young boy grows up surrounded by violence, likely he becomes violent.

perhaps providing these people with a loving environment now, will help our own children to not have to face the amount of terrorist threat as we are now.

i think it's worth trying.

bombing is not and hasn't proven to be any sort of solution.

ftr, I'm not some elite white liberal. I'm a workaday family  white guy.  

As well I have been to Muslim countries. I have first hand experience with their hospitality.

im tired of the war machine.

That being said, the authorities realllllllllllly need to do their due diligence.  And the Canadian/Muslim communities as well as other world Muslim communities need to step up and embrace the issues.

Archived