The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trading Block

Should the Canucks be in a position where the playoffs are unlikely, or having a desire to move up at the draft, who do you guys see as the likely guys to be moved for future assets this season?

I see Vrbata and Hamhuis both being moved for 1st round picks (or more) towards the deadline. I also see Prust being moved at a similar time, but likely for a 3rd.

If it's looking like we'll have Shinkaruk and Gaunce on the team next year, then I can see JB looking to move one of Higgins or Burrows at the draft - late 2nd/early 3rd rounder. If Vey is to get another shot, then I see them both going.

I also see JB trying to flip Jensen for something  as he will require waivers next season. Like Baertschi in reverse. Same could happen to Vey.

Also, if there is value to be had with Rodin's rights, I'd move them.

Summary:

Hamhuis - 1st+

Vrbata - 1st (will need to fix his scoring before we get that value though!)

Prust - 3rd

Higgins/Burrows - 2nd

Jensen - 3rd

Vey - 2nd

Rodin - 4th

we would not trade Jensen for a 3rd... Vey would not get us a 2nd and we would rather just hold on to him. Rodin might as well just be brought in rather than trade him for a 4th. 2nd is about right for Higgins. Burrows won't waive. Prust will probably traded at the deadline for around that price. Idk if teams would pay that much for Vrbata with the way he has been playing. Hammer will be a 1st+  

Do you know how many threads have been created over the last few months that deal with who we should trade this season and what people expect us to get for them?

Lots. 

I've never been much for mini-modding, but I swear to God that I see a new "who should we trade and what will we get" thread every day. I suggest you post your perspective in one of those threads next time. 

with the rookies overperforming this yr plus gaunce and shinkaruk and kenins and possibly rodin   knocking on door  i really see benning making a bunch of moves at deadline.

They should send jake and mccann to world juniors just for the experience of dominating on world stage. Our forward depth is fine if we are healthy plus gaunce and shinkaruk have been playing great so its not like they couldnt fill in while gone.

As for trade deadline  jensen, vrbata, higgins, hamhuis, weber, hansen, vey,  dorsett  all have value   we need some draft picks and some defense  on right side. 

tinordi, pulock, morrisey would be three guys id try and trade for but not sure benning could get these guys cheap but maybe he has some aces up his sleeves  most of bennings moves have been good minus vey deal 

next yrs d corp

edler tanev

hutton pulock

sbisa tinordi

pedan 

and next yr our forwards could do some damage

sedin sedin sutter 

baertchi horvat virtanen

shinkaruk mccann burrows 

kenins prust gaunce

only way i see rodin coming back from swedish league if hes offered a too six spot  or  benning trades his rights in a package deal 

i guess we will see what benning has planned  at deadline   all our rookies are doing well 

People are overvaluing our players. 

Vbrata isn't a center or a defensive forward that teams look for in playoffs. If vanek only got a second no way vbrata gets more. Only way to get more is based on the market. Aka..If a team has an injury and gets desperate.

hammer should get more but at the same time. Canucks might resign him. We don't really have top 4 defense. And unless we're sure we can sign one in Ufa. I'm thinking hammer might be a good 2-3 year stop gap.  

Higgins will probably be moved. Possibly part of a package. But I don't really see how much value he still has. 

Jensen, vey and Rodin aren't worth more that 4th  likely have value to be part of an extra in a package. Similar to clendening  

As it stands today, in the first 3 rounds, Canucks has a 1st, 2nd, (2x) 3rd 

possibly another 2nd this year with torts signing. If that's the case I wouldn't be against using any of these players to pick up a young d. We won't get anything to high end back but possibly something that will buy us time to improve our d prospect pool. 

Should the Canucks be in a position where the playoffs are unlikely, or having a desire to move up at the draft, who do you guys see as the likely guys to be moved for future assets this season?

I see Vrbata and Hamhuis both being moved for 1st round picks (or more) towards the deadline. I also see Prust being moved at a similar time, but likely for a 3rd.

If it's looking like we'll have Shinkaruk and Gaunce on the team next year, then I can see JB looking to move one of Higgins or Burrows at the draft - late 2nd/early 3rd rounder. If Vey is to get another shot, then I see them both going.

I also see JB trying to flip Jensen for something  as he will require waivers next season. Like Baertschi in reverse. Same could happen to Vey.

Also, if there is value to be had with Rodin's rights, I'd move them.

Summary:

Hamhuis - 1st+

Vrbata - 1st (will need to fix his scoring before we get that value though!)

Prust - 3rd

Higgins/Burrows - 2nd

Jensen - 3rd

Vey - 2nd

Rodin - 4th

Prust plays, Canucks dominate. Prust injured, Canucks can barely hang on.

Trade Prust.

CDC logic at its finest.

Vrbata is easily worth 1st+ Look at Vermette trade or the Pominville trade. 

Prust is worth more like a 5-6round pick. 

I really doubt it,

He may get a 2nd and middling prospect,

Hamhuis is the guy who will fetch mucho return at the deadline, I also think the return on Prust for a team who is serious about the cup could surprise you,

Jensen and our crappy picks won't fetch squat.

I hope Vey stays, if not get ready for Weise V2.....actually for his sake, I hope he goes, the way this fan base has ignored his obvious talent and crucified him for his mistakes, all the while giving a less talented Horvat/Virtannen a free pass is weak. He deserves better.

I think the Canucks are in a perfect situatuion to complete the rebuild this year. The core players that are left still have good value, hopefully J.B. can make these really difficult deals to capture some assets to complete the re-build. I think a team that might have some serious interest in the Sedins would be the Senators. The Sen.'s could keep it's 1st line in tack and plunk the Sedins on the second line with a player like Lazar or Michalek and that line would rip it up in the East. Honestly the Sen.'s would be the favorite in the East for the next few years. This deal is Cap friendly as well.The trade would look like:

TRADE 1:   Sedins to Ottawa      -       Bobby Ryan, Marc Methot, 1st(2016)

Next, it looks like Horvat will be a very good 3rd line center or a good 2nd line center, while McCann could be a 1st line center he might be better positioned as a 2nd line center, so we really need a legit 1st line center, who better then Port Moody boy, Ryan Johansen. The Blue Jackets will be looking for our best Defencman and a 1st for sure, they're probably going to want a top prospect as well. This deal is Cap friendly also. The trade would look like:

TRADE 2:   Edler, Cole Cassels, 1st(2016)      -    Ryan Johansen 

With this being said we need to resign Hamhuis because he just became our #1 LD and with Tanev as his partner they will be a solid D-pair. Hutton moves up to #2 LD.

We will need to look at Free Agency for a couple of spots, like Lucic on the Right side of Johansen and Ryan. Now that is a formidable 1st line...Big, fast, skilled and punishing. No more getting bumped off the puck or getting intimidated...

Free Agency might bare more diamonds like Ladd or Byfuglien or even Goligoski as we will have the because our young guns like Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Baertschi, Shinkurak and Hutton are paid peanuts but their contributions are massive.

New Look lines:

Lucic   Johansen  Ryan

Ladd  Horvat  Virtanen

Shinkurak  McCann  Sutter

Prust  Hansen  Dorsett

Wow, what a forward group, who's going to push around that group?

The D will need work but with Hutton, Tanev , Hammer and Methot, J.B. should be able to land 1 good RD shoring up the top 6.

With players like Vrbata, Burrows and Higgins the Canucks might be able to get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, this leaves J.B. two 1sts, two 2nds, and three 3rds I believe. This team would be set for years to come.

Thoughts...

I think we need to start thinking about trading what we have PLENTY of (wingers) in order to get something we seriously LACK (right handed defencemen).

Veteran wingers:

Vbrata, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Dorsett, Prust, Daniel Sedin

Young wingers:

Virtanen, Boeser, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Baertschi

All of those guys except Boeser are NHL-ready. We clearly don't need all of them right now, but we DO need defence.

I should think that 1 veteran and one young winger have to be on the trading block if we're smart, and could fetch us a top-4 right handed defenceman easily.

I'd be willing to part with Vbrata + Shinkaruk + someone like Sbisa (for depth) for a quality star NHL defenceman on the right side who can play top pairing minutes now and become a fantastic partner for Hutton in the future.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we need to start thinking about trading what we have PLENTY of (wingers) in order to get something we seriously LACK (right handed defencemen).

Veteran wingers:

Vbrata, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Dorsett, Prust, Daniel Sedin

Young wingers:

Virtanen, Boeser, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Baertschi

All of those guys except Boeser are NHL-ready. We clearly don't need all of them right now, but we DO need defence.

I should think that 1 veteran and one young winger have to be on the trading block if we're smart, and could fetch us a top-4 right handed defenceman easily.

I'd be willing to part with Vbrata + Shinkaruk + someone like Sbisa (for depth) for a quality star NHL defenceman on the right side who can play top pairing minutes now and become a fantastic partner for Hutton in the future.

I'm curious. What team do think values a star defenceman do little that they'd trade him for a struggling 34 year old winger on an expiring contract. An undersized prospect who has yet to prove he will be a legit top 6 forward, and a bottom 6 defender?  

Im not saying those players don't have value. But a high end right side defender is one of the most sought after assets in the league. Teams don't trade them away for a collection of lesser assets unless there's some underling issue. Be it character or contract issues. 

35 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I'm curious. What team do think values a star defenceman do little that they'd trade him for a struggling 34 year old winger on an expiring contract. An undersized prospect who has yet to prove he will be a legit top 6 forward, and a bottom 6 defender?  

Im not saying those players don't have value. But a high end right side defender is one of the most sought after assets in the league. Teams don't trade them away for a collection of lesser assets unless there's some underling issue. Be it character or contract issues. 

Well that's up to Benning, asset management. We have all our eggs in the winger basket and just look at our depth chart on the right side:

Tanev

Weber

Biega

Fedun

Subban

Weber is realistically a 6th or 7th defenceman on most teams. On the Canucks defence, he's the 4th defenceman. Biega, Fedun and Subban are and should be full-time AHLers for the next 2-3 years.

Obviously it would  be nice to snag a star righty defenceman, we've got some wingers of mediocre value but trades can happen. We've got a 1st round pick and two 2nds the last time I checked (depending on when Columbus wants to give us theirs) in the upcoming deep draft.

Calgary pulled off a trade for Dougie Hamilton who everyone thought was untouchable.

Edmonton pulled off a similar trade for Reinhart (and Gryba too) with not much value going the other way.

These teams traded picks and they got star defencemen. Those are the sorts of players, and the sorts of trades we need to be going for.

God knows Benning isn't going to draft a defenceman with his first round picks, and even if he does, it's always a risky move. The Flames and Oilers did the smart thing by trading away their first round picks (which would have been spent on forwards, something they AND WE have plenty of by now) to teams (that didn't necessarily need to get rid of these guys) for a slightly more proven defenceman who has developed slowly and properly.

That's the sort of trade we need to do. Something like a veteran + prospect winger + 1st round pick +/- 2nd rounder as well for a stud defenceman. We lose a rental in Vbrata/Hamhuis and a prospect winger who isn't going to cut this deep winger pool anyway, as well as a pick or two, for what this team really needs.

Sounds like a lot, but we're getting a LOT more back, and it's something we NEED. Saving our first round picks again just to draft another big powerforward would be the single stupidest thing Benning could do this upcoming draft. He's got to start thinking balance at some point because we're not icing a very good team by just using our draft picks up on "the best available player". Lets start to think a bit more laterally here.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎08‎:‎14‎, DownUndaCanuck said:

Well that's up to Benning, asset management. We have all our eggs in the winger basket and just look at our depth chart on the right side:

Tanev

Weber

Biega

Fedun

Subban

Weber is realistically a 6th or 7th defenceman on most teams. On the Canucks defence, he's the 4th defenceman. Biega, Fedun and Subban are and should be full-time AHLers for the next 2-3 years.

Obviously it would  be nice to snag a star righty defenceman, we've got some wingers of mediocre value but trades can happen. We've got a 1st round pick and two 2nds the last time I checked (depending on when Columbus wants to give us theirs) in the upcoming deep draft.

Calgary pulled off a trade for Dougie Hamilton who everyone thought was untouchable.

Edmonton pulled off a similar trade for Reinhart (and Gryba too) with not much value going the other way.

These teams traded picks and they got star defencemen. Those are the sorts of players, and the sorts of trades we need to be going for.

God knows Benning isn't going to draft a defenceman with his first round picks, and even if he does, it's always a risky move. The Flames and Oilers did the smart thing by trading away their first round picks (which would have been spent on forwards, something they AND WE have plenty of by now) to teams (that didn't necessarily need to get rid of these guys) for a slightly more proven defenceman who has developed slowly and properly.

That's the sort of trade we need to do. Something like a veteran + prospect winger + 1st round pick +/- 2nd rounder as well for a stud defenceman. We lose a rental in Vbrata/Hamhuis and a prospect winger who isn't going to cut this deep winger pool anyway, as well as a pick or two, for what this team really needs.

Sounds like a lot, but we're getting a LOT more back, and it's something we NEED. Saving our first round picks again just to draft another big powerforward would be the single stupidest thing Benning could do this upcoming draft. He's got to start thinking balance at some point because we're not icing a very good team by just using our draft picks up on "the best available player". Lets start to think a bit more laterally here.

We do have some depth on RW in our prospect pool, but not top-6 LWs. Behind Shinkaurik, who could play in the top-6? Gaunce will be a good 3rd liner. So we still need another top-6 LW prospect. However, our need on defense does outweigh this problem, as we have Daniel who will be a lock for the next 3-4 years.

I think once Benning has had about 3 more years of drafting, we will be in a much better position to make some of these big trades. We draft 2 defenseman and one LW in the 1st round over the next 2-3 years and we will be fine.

Archived